PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

TinkerbellT421
01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Oh the horror of snow in New England (end sarcasm here)!

I have to rant, I live in Rhode Island, it snows all the time, so I have to ask, is it me? But what is it about people that live in New England, lose all capability of how to drive in the snow when it snows? We live in an area where it snows ALL the time! And what is with all the status updates on FB that have to fill me in on said snow, like I don't have a window? :thedolls:

:yeti::snowball::winter::soapbox:

Dopey's Girl
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
It's not just New England. I'm in Minnesota. We had a dusting of snow overnight (you can still see pavement, it's just the smallest bit of snow) and traffic is backed up here for miles. Two on my staff have already reported they will be in 30-60 mins late. It's insane...

VWL Mom
01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
And what is with all the status updates on FB that have to fill me in on said snow, like I don't have a window? :thedolls:

:yeti::snowball::winter::soapbox:

I liked them on Christmas Eve but that's the extent of it!

I would gladly have taken snow over the ice mess we have here. Just spent 30 minutes trying to de-ice DS17s Ram 1500 so he could go to school, it looked like a giant iceberg when we went out.

caryrae
01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
It's not just New England. I'm in Minnesota. We had a dusting of snow overnight (you can still see pavement, it's just the smallest bit of snow) and traffic is backed up here for miles. Two on my staff have already reported they will be in 30-60 mins late. It's insane...

Yeah I live in the Stillwater, MN area and watching Fox 9 and all the traffic looks horrible lots of accidents and cars in ditches. It happens all the time when it snows even a little bit. Been a pretty wimpy winter as far as snow goes here.

Dopey's Girl
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah I live in the Stillwater, MN area and watching Fox 9 and all the traffic looks horrible lots of accidents and cars in ditches. It happens all the time when it snows even a little bit. Been a pretty wimpy winter as far as snow goes here.

I know right?! Don't know what is wrong with people. Oh well? Not much you can do!

Dragongirlx
01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Its the same here in Scotland. The slightest bit of snow sends the country into panic mode and we have no idea how to cope. It snows here most years so you would think people would have learned how to drive safely in it but nope, there will be tailbacks and crashes.
We are expecting a heavy snowfall here at the end of the week so I will be looking forward to the chaos it brings.:yeti::snowball:

SBETigg
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Okay, but if you think it's bad in New England when it snows (and people should definitely know how to handle it by now), you should see Texas. I went to visit a friend in Austin in 2011, and it snowed. A half inch. All of the schools were cancelled and even though it had all melted off the road by ten a.m., people were driving like scared little grannies, about ten miles an hour on the highway. It was hilarious. Not that I would expect TX drivers to know how to handle snow, but a melted half inch?

So now I know that no matter how much it seems that our fellow drivers forget how to drive in snow up here, I do know that it's so much worse when you're really with people who do not know the first thing about driving in snow.

kbean
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I miss the snow!!!

I will trade u a few days down here near Disney for a few days of snow!

Itchy
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
You need to be in the St Louis, Mo area when it snows. It is totally nuts. I was a police officer for 38 yrs and believe me traffic in the snow was bad but when it came to rain they were just as bad.

The body shops around here never had any lay offs for lack of work. :blush:

I love the snow and learned how to navigate it in Southern Michigan where I lived for 2 1/2 yrs.

Now I just stay at home and wait for the worst to be over and then I get out.

roses
01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Same here in Upstate NY! :freeze: I have spring fever though. :sun::flower:

NewDVCowner
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I could say the same thing here in California about the rain. As soon as it starts raining suddenly nobody knows how to drive anymore. :;sigh::

Cheshire_Girl
01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
I was born and raised in CO until I moved here to FL about 6 yrs ago. I didn't think I would ever miss snow...but I do. I do not miss all the idiot drivers in their big 4x4's acting like their SUV isn't phased by snow... they cause far more accidents than the people who are on the over cautious side of the idiot driver spectrum... all this talk of snow has me a bit home sick... Now I need to go to Disney to feel better . Tiki Room now please!

vicster
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
We've been real lucky in Chicago. No measurable snow in almost a year - unbelievable! I'm totally loving it

bostonchic13
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I used to like the snow until i had to walk(havent driven in it this year yet)in it the other morning...brrr...but now patiently awaiting spring

TinkerbellT421
01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
So glad I'm not the only one!!! loved reading your stories thanks for sharing in my venting!! :blush:

Caroleh
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
It's the same here in Ontario. A little snow and the news acts like its the snow storm of the century and nobody knows how to drive in it, drives me crazy..we in Canada for Pete's sake. Mind you, our area hasn't received very much yet.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
At my old job, when it would start to snow, I'd say that I had to leave and go home. Mind you, I was always joking. And then I found out the owner's brother thought I was serious! Really??? Sarcasm loses something when you have to translate it.
And yes, the people in SUVs seem to think they are immune to snow or ice.
We had some snow about a month ago and the plows/sanders were no where to be seen. And it's not like this was a storm that snuck up on us; they'd been forecasting it for days. That night the roads were really horrible. Other than that, we haven't gotten much snow so far this yet. I hope I haven't jinxed us.

I really hate driving in the snow now since when I was younger, it wouldn't stop me in the least from going out dancing. But I can and do drive in it when I have to because I do, after all, live in New England! It's gonna happen, just like death and taxes.

And the comment about looking out the window is funny because at work I am always asking what it's doing outside because we have NO windows! Not that I can change what it's doing-more just curious.