PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Resorts...What am I really getting for my $?

SandmanGStefani24
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
As I have frequently stated, I love value resorts. They have the feel and fun that I expect from WDW, give me what I need, and save plenty of cash for food and gifts in the parks. Still, i can't help but look over at the mods and wonder if I'm missing something. The rooms seem to be almost the same size, and don't look to add much more than nicer bedding, and nicer carpet, but cost more than $50 bucks more a night. Want to add a mod to my history but only if it is really worth it.

Elighten me, guys and gals. What more do you get for your $$. Thank you!:surf:

BigRedDad
01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Queen beds, upgraded bedding, slightly bigger rooms, and a little nicer looking resort.

I love Pop Century. It is my go to resort. We just happened to get into a PORS Royal Room for the same price when we had to change plans and dates slightly. Otherwise, we would be at Pop or try AoA Mermaid rooms.

Itchy
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
I have stayed at Carribbean Beach and Port Orleans Riverside. I prefer POR to CB, POR is a little smaller resort that CB. POR has a southern feel with lots of vegatation and nice walks around the river leading to DTD. The room are a little larger and seem to be a lot quieter that the values. The lobbys at the Mods see to be a lot more elegant. When I have the extra cash I will stay at POR in a heart beat.

The busses at the mods seem to work a little better that the values but that may just be me.

I love the values as well with POP being the favorite and All Star Movies being second.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Crow
01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
and most mods have a TS. but on the other hand my TIW is good at the food courts at the values.
POP is my value choice over AS, and ive stayed there 5 or so times to save money. depends on if you are going to spend time in the rooms. i just like to try all the diff places, except the more ##$$$

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
To some extent, proximity. The moderates I think in general are a little closer in location to the parks, not that that is a huge deal. Although with the twin Port Orleans resorts you also get boat transportation to Down Town Disney.

We haven't stayed in a value, its always been a moderate. I could be wrong, but both have food courts but the moderates may also have a sit down restaurant and a value won't. Along those same lines, the moderates may have some kind of lounge/entertainment area a/o bar (like River Roost at POR). I don't think values offer that amenity.

I think in general that the moderates offer more and better overall theming, not just within the room itself, but the general grounds.

I think the pools are considered to be nicer at the values.

Those are some of the things that come to mind when I think of Value vs. Moderate.

AgentC
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
If you are a park commando who only uses the room for sleeping, you probably won't find much value in upgrading. I personally prefer the extras at the mods/deluxes.

Things I like

-Queen size beds everywhere except Caribbean Beach Resort
-Pools tend to be more elaborately themed and all have pool slides.
-larger rooms
-table service option
-lounges some with entertainment
-more recreations- boat/ bike rentals
-more elaborate theming/ landscaping

Some resorts even have more. If you stay a Coronado Springs, you get a fitness center, a salon and upgraded toiletries.

1DisneyNut
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
As has been mentioned, the bigger nicer beds and the rooms are usually slightly larger. The resorts are much nicer looking as well as the grounds. However the biggest thing for me is the difference in the people staying at the resorts. At the values you have tons of small kids with many of them lacking a lot in the discipline department....screaming kids throwing temper tantrums and the parents screaming at the kids about them throwing temper tantrums. Then you have the Brazilian tour groups doing their stupid chants and cheers. The buses at the All Stars are just horrible. You have to wait in the blazing sun forever for a bus. In general, I just do not like the atmosphere at the values. If you can't tell by now, I absolutely despise the value resorts and I will admit I am not too fond of some of the moderates either for most of the same reasons. Another thing is many of the moderates have nicer restaurants if you decide to eat dinner around the resort. I am one of those that would just not go to WDW if the only way I could would be staying in a value resort.

Dulcee
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
For us the mods win out everytime due to the overall feel. Walking onto the grounds of POR there's a feeling of peace and quiet that takes you away from the parks for a bit. The values seem just as loud and go-go-go as the parks.

We also appreciate the boat transportation from POR, queen size beds, bigger rooms and bar/lounge area.

DVC2004
01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Everyone has already hit the points, I just wanted to add it is more of an upgraded resort experience. The pools are more themed and have slides, usually there is a sit down restaurant. More theming, the beds typically are queens, larger room ,etc. If you are planning on enjoying the resort I think it's worth it. I think they are nice. we've done all levels so. However if you are going to be out at the parks all day, don't really eat at the hotel or barely use pool you're probably best sticking with values. I think it really becomes more about what you want out of this particular trip. If less time at the hotel and more time in the parks is it, stay value and spend on your tix.:mickey:

Wolf
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
We did Pop Century from our first trip for 6 more, I splurged and we did a weekend at Poly and it was too fancy for us and the price was outlandish for us, last trip we tried POFQ and its our new "home" we just liked the layout and the food was great, to us the main differences we noticed was there was less of a mod scene at the main meal times, not that they were civil and calm but it was less insane. Otherwise, the resort size was nice, bus stops had benches and were covered which was nice. There were things we missed like the big shop there and there were different food options but at POFQ the food seemed better to us. I'm not sure, we are def FQ people now but I certainly don't begrudge Pop Century a ounce.

mechanic
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Most mods also have hot tubs. But I just don't agree on themeing being better. We love pop and as movies. So over the top disney. Por was like staying in a nice marriot. Not nuch to see, but very nice. Cs was nice, but left me feeling bad because the water slide was broken and we hated the food service. ( would rather be with the Brazilians than a bunch of whiny middle aged conventioners).
I think they are worth a try to see for your self. I am going to try cb soon.

Janmac
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
As for theming, it has seemed to me that the folks that really like the value resorts find the theming at the moderates and deluxes to be too subtle.

Disney started with the Contemporary, the Poly and the then moderate Disney Inn. The idea with the first two resorts was fantasy escape - you're heading to the South Seas with the Poly. Eventually the values opened with more over the top theming.

Jan

hauntedmansiongirl
01-15-2013, 04:53 AM
I feel that the biggest difference between the Values and the Mods is the noise. We have only stayed at Pop, and the noise was crazy. Families were up early and by 6:30am you heard kids running, parents yelling, doors banging etc. it seems like the Mods have thicker walls or something because don't hear it as much. You hear a muffled noise, but it's not nearly as bothersome. I should mention that we have no kids and are shift workers, so we like to sleep in. It's just not possible at Pop.

The hot tubs are also a big plus, as well as the numerous quiet pools scattered around the Mods. It's not uncommon to find them deserted.

Oh, and I can't forget about Yehaa Bob at POR Riverroost bar. He alone is worth staying at POR! Ooh, and the boat to Downtown Disney is another bonus of POR!!! :mickey:

BrerGnat
01-15-2013, 08:24 AM
For us, there are tangible and intangible differences between Value and Mod.

Value, for all it's "fun", leaves us feeling like part of an institution. Buildings feel like college dorms, food courts feel like cafeterias. It's noisy, and somewhat sterile to us. Everything is on a huge scale, including lines for buses and food. Not our thing.

Moderates have more of an "apartment complex" feel, and that's okay for us every once in awhile. The grounds are more landscaped, the paths are winding, the pool areas are spread out and more private. The main pools are more fun, with slides. The rooms themselves are a bit quieter, bedding and linens are higher quality, etc. Moderate food courts are better laid out to feel more intimate and they are themed better. Bus stops are spread out, and covered with seating, making that aspect of the trip a bit more "upscale". There are recreational options at Moderates, specifically at POR...bike rentals, boats, fishing, etc.

I think it's worth it to try a Moderate for a difference of $50/night. For me, the queen sized beds are WELL worth the additional cost right there. :thumbsup:

1DisneyNut
01-15-2013, 10:46 AM
I see a lot of people mentioning they like the theming at the Values. It may just be me but I have a feeling others that appreciate the theming of the moderates and deluxes will agree with me that the "theming" at the values just looks like cardboard cutouts of footballs, basketballs, players, etc and some paint to make it sort of look like you are at a stadium or whatever. It all just looks cheap to me, that was my first impression and I still feel that way.

The moderates and deluxes on the other hand have buildings intricately designed to replicate what would be found in the area the theme revolves around. An example would be the Mansions at Port Orleans resort. I really enjoy and appreciate the attention to detail that goes into that sort of theming.

minnie04
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Great!! I just booked a Value and now im second guessing it..:confused: I like the sound of having Queen beds. and a little more space would be nice. :help:

BrerGnat
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Great!! I just booked a Value and now im second guessing it..:confused: I like the sound of having Queen beds. and a little more space would be nice. :help:

If it's in the budget, I'd suggest an upgrade to a Moderate.

Where have you stayed on your previous trips? What are you "used" to?

bruin1344
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
For me - I would do moderate over value because of bigger rooms and beds, nicer decor/themes, better bus service, better pool, more recreation, less crowded feel, and quieter. In the past, Ive had some kind of discount to knock down the moderate resort per night fee.

ginny57
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't spend a ton of time in the room and the double bed versus the queen is not a driving factor...but I SO miss a hot tub when I stay value. I love going in after a long day at the park.

BigB
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
DGF and I stay at the values because of the value. We would rather spend more days in Disney than have a bed that is three inches bigger. (Plus with two double beds we can move them together to make a massive king bed!):thedolls: We don't spend an exorbitant amount of time inside the hotel. We like just getting the quick meal and a refreshing dip in the pool. Unless we have a morning reservation we catch the first bus that comes to the resort. This way we aren't waiting in the sun long. We also found that when leaving at park closing we essentially have two busses to choose from. There have been many occasions that we took the ASMu bus and just took the short walk to our hotel. We had a "race" with another couple and found that we made it back much faster than they did (we already ate a snack and order our second round at the pool bar by the time they made it).

roses
01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
For me, I think it's more of the theming and landscaping. The extra time and effort put into the mods. I love the value resorts as well as the mods. The beds seemed to be similar to me, and the food around the same as well. Location is a little different, the mods seem to be a bit closer and have more transportation options at some than the value resorts.

Mitzie
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Having never stayed at a value resort I can't speak to that, but another plus for us to a Mod over a value is the double vanity. With two teenager girls to get ready in the morning...ummm yeah thats a big one for us.

minnie04
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
If it's in the budget, I'd suggest an upgrade to a Moderate.

Where have you stayed on your previous trips? What are you "used" to?

We have stayed in both. I loved the moderates and the kids loved the All-Stars. I would leave it up to them. This time it's just me and my youngest DS(9) going, so I’m sure he would prefer the All-Stars.. :mickey:

Also we have really opted out of staying on property with the whole family in the past few years, due to the size of the family. It's been condo's (resorts) for us..:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
WOW! So many responses and great bits of info! Thanks so much boys and girls :rocks:

I feel that the biggest difference between the Values and the Mods is the noise. We have only stayed at Pop, and the noise was crazy. Families were up early and by 6:30am you heard kids running, parents yelling, doors banging etc. it seems like the Mods have thicker walls or something because don't hear it as much. You hear a muffled noise, but it's not nearly as bothersome. :mickey:

This is my real and only beef with values...parks open at 9, so why are we up and running around and slamming doors at 630? :sleepin:
I never need an alarm clock or wake up call there, that's for sure...maybe that's enough reason to try a mod...

Mitzie
01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I can tell you some of our quietest stays have been at mods..even over delx stays. Our stay at BC kids would run up and down those interior hallways and the noise just echoed...

AndrewJackson
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Nicer, bigger beds.
Themed pool with a slide.
2 sinks outside the bathroom.
Landscaped grounds.
Sit down restaurant.
Something "extra" - POR and POFQ boat to DtD.
POR sleeps 5 in AB section.

Aurora
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
When we stayed at values in the past, we chose them for the price and were happy with the actual "value." (The Toy Story buildings were an attraction in themselves when my kids were little tykes.) When we stayed at mods, we chose them for the atmosphere.

Now that we're DVC members, we don't have to make that choice anymore :thumbsup:, but on a recent trip we piggybacked a DVC stay with overnights at POR on both ends of the week. My hubby liked POR so much that time that he'd like to stay there again, even over some of the DVC resorts.

Gator
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Out of 7 trips, I've done moderates 5 times and a value once, with AKL thrown in there. That said, I love the moderates over the value.

The bus service, althoug slow at POFQ and really slow at POR, is terrible at the values when compared with anywhere else. Carribean Beach has good bus service to the parks, and is ideally located for a trip to any park.

The food at CBR is just ok, but still better than what we had at AS Movies.

The theming at moderates are more adult oriented, in that you're transported into a different land than what you're used to. The values are really for kids as far as theming goes.

Space in the mods is a big thing to us. The queen beds are way better than those doubles at the values. And you can tell how much more space is in the moderates - especially if you have a stroller you have to park in the room. The values are a nightmare for storing extra baggage.

TexasRoni
01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
When it was just my husband and I and our daughter, we preferred the values. DD was under 8 and she really appreciated and enjoyed the "kiddie" themes of the value resorts. I will admit there were a few times the noise got to us, and had one stay with cheerleader groups at All-Star Sports in which they were squealing and running around like crazy at all hours and smoking all over the resort, but since we really just use the resort/room to sleep and shower it was not that big of a deal. The money we saved on the room allowed us to spend more on TS meals and shop more in the stores there. Bus times and crowding was a bit more stressful at the values, but since we travel to WDW in mild weather (Dec, Feb, March), we've never been stuck baking in the sun for a bus.

But, once our oldest DD reached about 10, and we had more children, we started going to moderates. CS was nice but a lot of walking for those with kids, and POR is the mod resort we liked best. It still has plenty to interest our younger kids, but it feels more "grown up" and quieter for me and DH and for our oldest who is now "too cool" for the kiddie stuff (17). Plus, if you have more than 4 in your family, it's actually less expensive to room at POR than to have to pay for a family suite at a value.

Food courts at value and moderate seem to be almost identical to me (as far as crowding and theming and noise). Although if you plan to eat dinner at your resort, Moderates have TS restaurants and a few better dinner options at the food court.

jonahbear2006
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
slides, sit down restaurant access, and more lavish outdoor theming. That is really all. Just stay where your theming fits your mood. that is what disney is all about.

AmandaChan
01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
For me, not having to wait in those hot lines for the busses is worth it. Next time we stay in a value we planned on getting a rental anyways. Of course that is not always an issue for a lot of people who drive too. I have enjoyed the grounds at pofq and cbr much more than the values too however.

Katzateer
01-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Don't forget you can get a king bed at values if bed size is an issue.

We stayed at POR for years- it was our home base. Then started staying at values since they opened some new ones and it was fun to stay in brand new resorts.

A few years ago, we had to stay in a mod. Because we were part of a group of dancers and to perform at WDW we had to stay where Disney assigned us. I didn't think our room was any bigger than the values. If they are, didn't add up to much. The beds, towels, linens didn't seem any different.

The pass few family trips we have gotten 2 connecting rooms at a value for a discount and the 2 rooms allow us to stretch out but don't cost much more than a moderate. We needed the extra room with 2 adults and 2 teens.

We stayed at the Polyesian one trip and loved it, but if I want to go to Disney once a year - values allow it. I can use the extra $$ saved for food and park admission.

i'm grumpy
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
WOW! So many responses and great bits of info! Thanks so much boys and girls :rocks:

This is my real and only beef with values...parks open at 9, so why are we up and running around and slamming doors at 630? :sleepin:
I never need an alarm clock or wake up call there, that's for sure...maybe that's enough reason to try a mod...
Good question. And what are they doing running around at 3am?