PDA

View Full Version : Layoff....

TheVBs
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Oh wow. So, here we are. Just found out today that DH has been laid off. Huge re-org, huge layoffs. The company has done this almost every year since he first started there 14 years ago. We've been lucky enough to dodge the bullet for many years, but not this time. :( I have no idea what even our first steps are right now. Too big to process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

faline
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
1. File for unemployment compensation. Depending on how it works in your state, there may be a period at the beginning which is not covered. Delaying enrollment can delay payments.
2. Examine your expenses. What can you cut out? Cut back on? When my husband was last unemployed, we did very little (to any) discrecinary spending and what spending we did was different. For example, the couple of time we ate out, we ate in a cafe instead of a sit-down restaurant. We looked for free and/or low cost things to do - found a museum in our area we had never been to that had free admission; found a play to attend at Christmas that had a special for 50% off tickets.
3. Begin networking. Your husband should let everyone he knows that he is in transition and looking and ask them to let him know if they hear of any opportunities.
4. Will the company offer transitional services? This may range from someone assisting with resumes to providing networking meetings; individual counseling; and office space while looking. If offered, the services may range from meager to generous. If offered, take advantage of all that is offered.
5. Dust off the resume and get it in good working order.
6. Contact the unemployment office and find out what professional/transitional services they provide. Do they run any networking groups? Do they know of networking groups in the area?

This is what I can think of for starters.

I wish your husband well in his job search! Searching for a new position is a full time job.

Dopey's Girl
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't have any better advice than Faline (be sure to apply for unemployment ASAP...my dad waited too long, then was without a check for a longer than average time), but wanted to say I was sorry, and that I hope he finds something soon!

DVC2004
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Agree with all of the above. I am sorry and wish you guys the best. Hopefully this brings a new and better opportunity. Do have him apply for the unemployment ASAP.

stephicakes
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Faline's list is a great start. Also, take a deep breath. Things seem overwhelming when you try to do everything all at once. ONE DAY AT A TIME. I truly hope things work out for you quickly, but in the meantime here is some....
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Zippy 1
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Hang in there it is hard! But they say when one door closes another one opens. Hopefully it will open for you quickly:mickey:

Tekneek
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I agree with all of the advice being presented. I was laid off back in December of 2007 (literally the Friday before Christmas), with a 4 month old baby to care for (and 2 other children). We didn't know what we were going to do and it was certainly the most stressful time we've ever been through as a family, but we got through it and now have the best job I've ever had (working from home all the time and in my desired career field).

Take advantage of all the services/programs available. Trim everything you thought you couldn't live without (I think it is important to make these cutbacks as soon as you can). I also recommend staying well grounded and rational. The hiring process is full of ups and downs. I don't even remember all the multiple interview stages I went through for positions I never got. I also spent some time volunteering with a local emergency response organization (learning new things, networking with people, etc), which gives you something to do when job application/resume sending has you in the psychological landfill.

Marker
01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
I can totally relate to your story. I was laid off from Sprint in KC in March 2009 with a few thousand of my coworkers. Lay offs had come nearly every quarter for a few years, some big, some small, but they just kept coming.

I was in IT field. Had been a software developer for nearly 30 years, the last 14 with Sprint. I also had 9 months of severance to collect. I thought for sure I'd be able to find something in that amount of time. Some did, many (most) didn't sadly, some are still looking. I got lucky in April, 3 years after the layoff and found a good Software development job. Pays less, is in a town 140 miles from home, so I spend my week in a small studio apartment and drive home on weekends. Not the ultimate situation, but it's a job, and one that I really like that also kept me in software development. I was literally days away from giving up on IT and just seeking anything.

So, some things I learned...

Regardless of how much severance or unemployment you have, cut expenses where you can. Do assume you'll find something right away.

Job seeking is not what it used to be. Long gone are the days of going door to door with a resume in hand. Employers now search online.
1) Develop a GOOD resume. Seek help in the design and content if necessary. Be honest and thorough and KNOW what's in it.
2) Create a profile on LinkedIn.com, make sure you complete it to 100% or search engines won't find it. Once completed, start building a list of connections.
3) Clean up your "brand" image. If you use Facebook, Twitter, etc. keep in mind that potential employers can and will search for your online personality. Whatever your post, comments, pictures etc, make sure they are what you want seen. Avoid political content. Watch out for other "tagging" you in their photos, etc. You may want to set your security settings to limit access.

Connect with people who can help you, build a network.
1) Don't be timid or embarrassed about your situation. Spread the word to friends, relatives, former co-workers, old friends, old jobs. The more people who know gives you more people who may have a lead. I got lots of leads, and a couple interviews from people I hadn't seen, or heard from, since high school. Facebook played a big part in connecting with people.
2) Look for local job clubs. Look in your church, library, business publication, TV station websites. However, look for job clubs that can actually help you. A room full of out-of-work people fussing about their situation will not do you much good. It will let you know there are other out there in the same situation, which can be good for your soul, but it won't find you a job.
3) Look for organizations that provide useful services to the unemployed. One such organization in KC is NewLandings. NewLandings was created initially by a group of former Sprint employees who recognized the huge amount of available talent and decided to pool resources for the benefit of all job seekers. NewLandings offers workshops, Resume help, an online podcast (video now too) and more, all for free. I'm sure other communities have similar organizations. You might want to search for NewLandingsJobChat and check out some of the podcast. The list of topics might be helpful. Beware of any such organization that wants to charge. Charging a minimal fee to cover expenses is reasonable, but if they are charging to make a profit I would be very cautious. They may not have the job seekers best interest in mind.

Job Fairs - Job fairs can connect you with a lot of people, and they can also be a mad house. If you show up with a resume in hand, it'll get put in the stack with all the others, and maybe, eventually, you'll hear something. Make business cards for yourself that have minimal highlights of your skill sets and what you are looking for. Include the address to your LinkedIn profile. Maybe even a picture, or something that will stand out. Chat with them briefly and friendly. Give them your business card, and ask if you can email them a resume. Then, the next day, as they are going through the unending stack of resumes, they'll get your email and look at it. And if they want to go back to, it's not in a big pile, it's right there in their inbox. And make sure you look nice. We know it shouldn't but it does make a difference. Wear a suit.

Networking Events - Often better than Job Fairs, networking events can give you access to people who are actually employers, or working folks who have contact with the ones who do the hiring. LinkedIn has Groups you can join that are special interest, skill set, career based. These groups often have gatherings that could help you make good connections. Also, once you join some groups on LinkedIn, participate in their discussions - intelligently. Don't rant and rave, remember that you are there to make a good impression. But participating lets they get to know you some. The when you meet them at an event, you'll already have a connection.

Don't be afraid of recruiters, but use them wisely and cautiously. I trusted local recruiters who knew the KC market much more than out of town folks who were just fishing for people. Feel free to talk with multiple recruiters. They will contact you prior to submitting your for an opportunity. Make sure you don't get submitted to an opportunity by more than one recruiter, the employer will reject your resume right here. They do want to get stuck having multiple recruiters wanting commission on you, But by using multiple recruiters they will have different resources to look at for your potential opportunity.

The mega job boards (Monster, CareerBuilder, etc) are statistically not that effective, and often lead to calls from recruiters from places far away for opportunities that you may not really be a fit for. However, I do know people who got leads, and ultimately jobs, from these sources. So, don't exclude them entirely, but make them your primary focus.

I could go on and on, but this is already way too long for one post. Message me if I can be of any other help. And feel free to check out NewLandings and NewLandingsJobChat. You'll also find a NewLandings group on LinkedIn, be sure to join.

TinkerbellT421
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree with everything Faline said. I don't have much else to offer. I just wanted to say I'm sorry and hoping and sending pixie dust he finds something soon!

Marker
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
One more thing -

Keep a positive attitude. They see that. Smile, be positive, not just face to face but also on the phone.

People may ask annoying questions, but keep in mind they are just trying to help. I can't tell you how many times I heard the questions "so how's the job search going". Well, if it was going well, I wouldn't be doing it. But they are just showing concern, and if they're concerned they may just hear of something that can help. So annoying or not, smile and be positive.

And NEVER give up.

arbie_c
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
It looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice in previous posts. Just wanted to repeat. Take it one day at at time & breath. Don't let the situation seem overwhelming. My husband was laid off in 2009 as well and I know it can seem scary. Prayers and pixie dust headed your way.

roses
01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Faline's advice was the best. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Sending lots of pixie dust your way. My dad was layed off after 25 years dedicated to the job, it was rough, and he was hurt - but the best thing for him and the family was that we stuck together.

BrerGnat
01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear about that.

I don't have any direct advice to offer, but good luck to your husband in finding another opportunity.

disney obsessed
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear this news. My favorite advice is from Finding Nemo. "Just keep swimming." It has gotten me through some very difficult times in my life.

Good luck.

minnie04
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
1. File for unemployment compensation. Depending on how it works in your state, there may be a period at the beginning which is not covered. Delaying enrollment can delay payments.
2. Examine your expenses. What can you cut out? Cut back on? When my husband was last unemployed, we did very little (to any) discrecinary spending and what spending we did was different. For example, the couple of time we ate out, we ate in a cafe instead of a sit-down restaurant. We looked for free and/or low cost things to do - found a museum in our area we had never been to that had free admission; found a play to attend at Christmas that had a special for 50% off tickets.
3. Begin networking. Your husband should let everyone he knows that he is in transition and looking and ask them to let him know if they hear of any opportunities.
4. Will the company offer transitional services? This may range from someone assisting with resumes to providing networking meetings; individual counseling; and office space while looking. If offered, the services may range from meager to generous. If offered, take advantage of all that is offered.
5. Dust off the resume and get it in good working order.
6. Contact the unemployment office and find out what professional/transitional services they provide. Do they run any networking groups? Do they know of networking groups in the area?

This is what I can think of for starters.

I wish your husband well in his job search! Searching for a new position is a full time job.

Wow excellent advice!! :thumbsup:
I hope he finds work soon.. Just dont panic. There is help out there you just need to ask for it.

AgentC
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't have any advice to give. You've gotten lots of great advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to go through this and I hope everything works out soon.

TheVBs
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
You guys are great! :mickey: Thank you for all of the amazing support and advice. I really appreciate it! I've copied it into a word document and I'm keeping it with our other paperwork.

The initial shock has worn off, and while it's still very stressful and scary, I'm trying to stay positive and productive. I'm really hoping it's one of those blessings in disguise things. He has hated working there for years now. It's a very toxic environment. As awful as it was to get laid off, he's actually feeling a lot of relief too. He's had to go in these last couple of days to hand off projects. I think that's been a positive experience because people have had the chance to wish him well. He brought home some letters of reference and we were so touched by what was in them. People really put a lot of effort, praise and respect into them. They're going to be so valuable for interviews.

Unfortunately, even though I badgered him for 2 years to do it, he does not have his resume up to date. As soon as we get that done we can start sending them out. We're very lucky that he's getting a severance package and we'll make sure to register with the unemployment office too. I found out you have to do that within a week of being terminated. His actual termination date isn't until the end of the month, but we'll make sure we do what we need to.

Thank you again everyone! And, yes, I'm always singing that song to myself in these situations... just keep swimming. :mickey:

Ian
01-24-2013, 10:12 PM
As someone who's been laid off a lot I can tell you three things that are critical when it happens (Faline covered them really ... I'm just echoing):

File for UE immediately
Your next opportunity is going to come from your network or a professional recruiter. Go online and find contacts at the big recruiting firms in your area and get in front of them. They're incented to place you and you'll be going on interviews quickly. Network, network, network. Tell anyone and everyone. You never know who knows someone who knows someone that could be your key to your next position.
Spend some bucks and get a professional to update your resume. If your husband hasn't been in the job market for 14 years (and hasn't kept his resume current) odds are he's not at all familiar with what's expected these days. Since a top-notch resume is a must to even getting in the door, it's a very worthwhile expense.

Cheshire_Girl
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Spend some bucks and get a professional to update your resume. If your husband hasn't been in the job market for 14 years (and hasn't kept his resume current) odds are he's not at all familiar with what's expected these days. Since a top-notch resume is a must to even getting in the door, it's a very worthwhile expense.
[/LIST]

I agree with Ian on this. No matter how good you look in person, you gotta look even better on paper because that piece of paper will more than likely be passed around to several people within a company before they decide to interview you.
Remember, you're selling yourself-and its a free market so your product has to be better than the next guys product, and packaging counts!
Good luck...like someone else said, just keep swimming!

Tiggerlovr9000
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh wow. So, here we are. Just found out today that DH has been laid off. Huge re-org, huge layoffs. The company has done this almost every year since he first started there 14 years ago. We've been lucky enough to dodge the bullet for many years, but not this time. :( I have no idea what even our first steps are right now. Too big to process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Sorry to hear this. My dh is also being laid off in two weeks. He is upper 50s Not sure what we are going to do. I found a second job to help out. I would love to just pack up and move. Kids are grown so no problem there. As long as we have our health we have no problems.

princessgirls
01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Very sorry to hear that your husband was laid off.

I agree with Faline and Ian 100%, be PROACTIVE!!!

Julie:mickey:

TheVBs
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much everyone! We did opt to have a professional do his resume, we just got it back last night, got a 2nd opinion on it and are very pleased with the results. We were just too clueless to do it ourselves. Now we can keep it updated.

We have been networking shamelessly! He's also updated his Linked in profile, we're getting business cards printed up with his info and he's going to a job fair tonight.

He called for UE the first day he was able to and spent hours on hold. We're hoping to get it done online, but when he tried that initially, there was a problem with their system. Hopefully we'll get that tackled in the next couple of days.

Tiggerlovr, so sorry to hear about your DH getting laid off too. :( Hope he's able to find something quickly. The feedback we've heard from one recruiter is that companies are finally figuring out that you can't get 20 years experience from someone who's in their 30's. My DH is 44. So perhaps that's good news!

Katzateer
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't have any advice to give. You've gotten lots of great advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to go through this and I hope everything works out soon.

We have had this happen also and it was a shock. Hope an idea job is found soon!:thumbsup:

beksy
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I just saw this post and wanted to add that I will be sending good thoughts, prayers, and pixie dust your way. Good luck! :hug: :tink::tink:

TheVBs
02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Thank you so much! Right now he has a line on a couple of positions. Really hoping one of them works out! And thanks again for all the great advice people gave here. Doing all the things suggested is definitely making a difference!

We have also come to the realization that if he doesn't find a job within a certain amount of time, I'm going to have to see what I can get, if only to bridge the gap. We were shocked to discover that unemployment in our state maxes out at less than 20% of his salary!!