PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free Dining for Adult

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
On our next trip we will have an adult in our party who is allergic to wheat. Has anyone had experience with gluten free dining? Does the chef prepare you something special? I was wondering if there was a gluten free item on the menu if they are stuck with that, what if its fish and the person doesn't like fish? I'm thinking CS might be a problem. Anyone know what restaurants work with you the best? Any help appreciated.

Strmchsr
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Your friend should have no problem, even at CS places. Disney is very used to the gluten-free issue. Just make sure the allergy is marked on all ADRs and the chef will speak with your friend to make sure that person has something good to eat. At the CS places, let the CM know and they will give you options available. You can also call Disney Dining and tell them of the issue and they'll let you speak to the special dining services who can tell you which CS places would be best.

Janmac
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
On our last trip (April '12) we had two people with food problems. One has a gluten problem - not a full blown allergy - and the other has an onion allergy.

When making ADRs for our table service meals, I told the CM that we had these problems.

When we checked in for the TS meals, a Chef came to the table and discussed things with the two in our group. With the onion allergy, a new dish was usually made, since onions are so pervasive - in sauces, etc. With the gluten, since it's a problem and not allergy, often, with the Chef's help, this family member simply made a particular menu choice. We did get gluten free rolls, etc.

For buffets, the Chef would walk our family members through the choices.

For counter service places, I understand there is a list of ingredients that is available, if you ask the cashier, or someone in the location. Our family members pretty much chose foods based on experience - like salads, or foods with no sauces, etc.

We had a good dining experience and I recommend letting Disney know, if you are making TS reservations, or asking for either the ingredients or to speak with a manager at the counter service locations you're eating at.

Jan

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the information. She does have a full blown allergy so she absolutely can't have any wheat. Its good to know they have the gluten free rolls. I know last time we went on vacation so many times her only option was salad or steak and she got frustrated. I was hoping they would have more options. Thanks.

ANG
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Our last trip, we took my stepdad who is Celiac. He ate like a king! We made ADR and made sure to mention it on the reservation. At EVERY sit down, the chef came out and told him what he could or couldn't eat off the menu. And if he wanted something he couldn't, the chef would make a very close alternative.

The quick services were a bit harder. But you can find menus online and plan ahead which places you can eat at.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Our last trip, we took my stepdad who is Celiac. He ate like a king! We made ADR and made sure to mention it on the reservation. At EVERY sit down, the chef came out and told him what he could or couldn't eat off the menu. And if he wanted something he couldn't, the chef would make a very close alternative.

The quick services were a bit harder. But you can find menus online and plan ahead which places you can eat at.

Oh that's awesome she will be so excited. Did you find any CS or TS restaurants better than others?

Kairi_7378
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
During our last trip (Sept '12) I happened to be placing an order at Pecos Bill's next to a father who was attempting to order a GF meal for one of his sons. (asking for no rolls, etc.) The woman taking orders soon figured out what he was doing, and asked if there was an allergy problem. She then paged a manager who came over and personally took the man's order. He then told him to wait at the end of the counter so that the manager could be sure that there would be no mix up with his meals. It seems that they are very used to dealing with that sort of allergy at Peco's.