PDA

View Full Version : AOA Little Mermaid--Distance?

tinksmom02
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Evening, gang!

I'm in the early planning stages of a long weekend over Mother's Day ("early" meaning that I've already secured my ADRs but have not yet booked a room LOL). Ultimately I'd like to save some money, so my choices are either AOA (new for us) or returning to POP (did 2x last year).

I really want to try AOA but it's just me and DD10 so we'd be in a Mermaid room. The distance from that section to everything is scaring me. I thought our room in the 90's section at POP was closer to the bus stop and food court than our room in the (preferred) 60s section was. Can anyone comment on how bad the walk at AOA really is (maybe compared with the POP sections I mentioned)? We were looking to try something new, but I don't think we want to stay at the All Stars resorts.

Do you have any other tips for May travel, or for AOA overall? Thanks!

AgentC
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I stayed in AOA in a Little Mermaid room in September. I really did not find the distance to the main building/lobby to be a problem.

I did not have my children with me. Walking alone at a normal pace it was about a 5 minute walk to the main building. Maybe a minute or two more to the bus.

brownie
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Having run through there during ICOT 15, I don't think it's really that far to the main building.

ginny57
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
I stayed there in December....didn't mind the walk. It was very pleasant actually. They did an amazing job with this resort....very visual.

etibbetts
01-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I hated the walk and did find it very far - but I'm use to staying in the 50's or 60's sections of Pop. If your use to the 90's section at Pop, I don't think you'll find it bad at all. The layout is pretty similar to Pop and I believe the Little Mermaid is roughly the same distance to the main hall as the 90's section is to Classic Hall at Pop.

Enjoy your trip!

BrerGnat
01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
When we stayed there (in a Cars Suite), I ran around the property too. When running, it doesn't seem that far, but when you have to walk it, it can be quite a distance depending on which building and where your room is located. If you are at the furthest LM building, and your room is at the very end of the building, it's a haul. I actually found that our room in the Cars section was quite a hike...much more than I am used to. It generally isn't a problem, until you've walked all the way to the main building and then realize you forgot something in the room and have to walk all the way back. ;)

I think it will probably be okay for just you and a 10 year old. If you were going alone with several little ones, I'd rethink it. However, I'm sure your daughter will love the theme and you will deal with the walk. Due to the layout of AoA, Little Mermaid Building 8 is further away from the main building than any other value resort's furthest building from its main building. It's a good third mile, which is a 7-10 min walk at a normal pace.

Camaro305
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Evening, gang!

I'm in the early planning stages of a long weekend over Mother's Day ("early" meaning that I've already secured my ADRs but have not yet booked a room LOL). Ultimately I'd like to save some money, so my choices are either AOA (new for us) or returning to POP (did 2x last year).

I really want to try AOA but it's just me and DD10 so we'd be in a Mermaid room. The distance from that section to everything is scaring me. I thought our room in the 90's section at POP was closer to the bus stop and food court than our room in the (preferred) 60s section was. Can anyone comment on how bad the walk at AOA really is (maybe compared with the POP sections I mentioned)? We were looking to try something new, but I don't think we want to stay at the All Stars resorts.

Do you have any other tips for May travel, or for AOA overall? Thanks!

Just off the top of my head, Little Mermaid rooms are not included in any discounts that may be (or have been) released.

tinksmom02
01-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like it might not be too bad--and it would only be for three nights, after all. Maybe I could request one of the closer sections.

As for discounts, Terrisue has a AAA room rate locked in for me, it's not a huge discount but every little bit helps!

etibbetts
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
BrerGnat makes a good point about what building your in in the Little Mermaid section. I was in the last building all the way towards the back - so pretty much as far as possible. If I had been in one of the rooms closest to the Lion King section, I may not have found it as bad.