View Full Version : Sanaa

DANAM
01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
We really wanted to try something new and I know Boma gets a lot of high reviews on this site. I looked at the food pictures (on another site) and the menu and I wasn't totally convinced. But then I started looking into Sanaa. I was wondering if we wanted to have the best chance to see animals what time should we go? We really wanted to do dinner but a late lunch would be nice too. We would be going in January so I am not even sure if the animals would be out with the cold weather.

greengeen
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
We always do an early lunch if we want to see the animals (11:45 or 12:00). The later it gets, the more crowded the restaurant is and the harder it is to get a window seat. And if you don't have a window seat, let me just say from experience, it's not okay to go stand next to someone else's table at the window to view animals! It's very rude.

If you go for dinner in January it will almost certainly be too dark to see animals. The best option is to go somewhat early (maybe 4:00-5:00) and go enjoy the animal viewing area, which is really nearby, just up one flight of stairs from Sanaa. After you get your fill of the animals (who don't mind the January temps at all) and talking to the guide, who is always informative, you can head to Sanaa for dinner.

faline
01-07-2013, 06:22 PM
We've only eaten there once and were actually quite disappointed. I would have understood if we weren't right next to a window but we were seated in a section of the restaurant that had no view of the animals outside at all. The food was decent but we have not rushed back to dine here again.

DisneyGlutton
01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
We dined there for the first time in early December and were the first ones seated for lunch (we arrived a half hour early because we wanted to check out the resort for the first time). Our view was fabulous and we saw many active animals. It's odd though, because like I've experienced at Coral Reef, you get used to the novelty of the scenery quickly, stunning as it is. Oddly enough, we picked it because we love Indian food and were unaware that you could (hopefully) view animals while dining. As for the food, we were pleased with that. Got the naan with the various sauces as an appetizer, and I got the butter chicken (which was fabulous). However, if you go there with the express desire of seeing animals, you may be disappointed if you don't get a window seat or they aren't active. Also, AKL is not in the best location to get to (unless of course you're staying there).

Figment!
01-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Here's my review from October:

Dinner: Sanna - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Got to the resort a little ahead of my 6:20 reservation, so I decided to view the savanna for the Kidani Village section. The view was spectacular; saw a herd of zebras, several ostriches, and several yak-type animals all in perfect view. After watching the zebras play for a while, I went downstairs to the restaurant. I would highly recommend that any diners here plan for some extra time before or after their meal to enjoy the savanna from the viewing balcony off the lobby. Upon being seated I came to find that my views did not end with the change of location. Sanna has massive windows that look out onto a section of the savanna, while I ate I saw several giraffes walk by. For dinner here I choose the beef short ribs, butter chicken, and 5 grain rice. The food was good, although the portions of meat were a little less than what I expected--I soon found myself with more than half the rice left and all the meat eaten. I am aware that many eastern dishes have a low protein to carbohydrate ratio, but it still seemed off to me. Any lack of sustenance from the entree was quickly quelled by the decadent banana sundae I had for dessert. The square slab of banana ice cream came with a chocolate sauce filled divot and some seasoned nuts. The server here was also very attentive and was great with describing the dishes.

ThanxForNoticin
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
We would highly recommend either Boma or Sanaa. If you are heading to Sanaa, a later lunch would definitely be the way to go. Be aware, though - I don't think they run straight from lunch into dinner - there might be a break in there. So a late lunch might need to be 2:45 or so.

I would estimate that about 25% of the tables might have clear window views of the animals, while many other tables will have partial views. There are a number of tables that have no views.

But even better than the view is the food. We've tried many different types of food there and have liked them all. Enjoy your lunch or dinner!