PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub choices--help! My head is spinning!

MNNHFLTX
01-05-2013, 04:00 PM
We are re-doing one of our upstairs bathroom and decided to install a new tub. Removing the worn old cast iron tub was a major pain. We probably should have looked into having it refinished but by the time we thought of it we were already in the process of removing it. Besides, it was a pretty old-fashioned looking tub and wouldn't have looked right with some of the other renovations I have planned.

I've promised my husband that we would not re-install another cast iron, due to the weight and the difficulty of fitting it into the alcove. So I've been trying to decide on a replacement tub, but who knew there were so many choices and opinions about it? Anyway, I'm leaning toward an acrylic or enamel-on-steel (insulated) tub, but am open to other options. Must not feel or look cheap, be moderate in price (max price we are willing to pay is $500) and be fairly durable. Seems like every type of tub I look into has naysayers--too cold, creaky, chips, scratches--those are some of the complaints I hear. Is there a tub out there that fits my criteria? :confused:

VWL Mom
01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Beth, I feel your pain. When we did DS17s bathroom a few years back I go so frustrated with the tub thing that we opted for a fancier shower and did away with the tub altogether. Checked with a real estate agent first that told us since we had two other tubs it was a non issue as far as resale value.

Faucetdirect is a great site to window shop. A lot of brands and many models have reviews by owners and contractors. I used it when we redid our kitchen and got a lot of good information.

Good luck!