PDA

View Full Version : Should I change ADR's at HS

Pocahontas
01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Heading to WDW with 3 adults and two children ages 9 and 13 and the day we're at Hollywood Studios I have dinner reservations at '50's Prime Time Cafe'. My worry is that the 13 year old is shy and is easilly embarrassed and this may not be the best place to take her. Thinking about changing to 'Sci-Fi Dine-in Theatre' instead as to not make the 13 y/0 uncomfortable.

To stay or change - that is the question!:confused: Any advise?

Zippy 1
01-04-2013, 07:07 PM
I think you will be fine. The wait staff seemed to only get people who were willing to play along. Our waitress was very mild. She got into it with other wait staff but was very mild with us. It was a fun time. Really did not see anyone being teased a lot. It was all very mild

marlyn
01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I would think that if you warn your 13 yr old ahead if time, they should be ok. I like 50s prime time much better than Sci Fi! Have you been to 50s prime time before? I didn't find the servers over the top. They were just having fun.

DisneyGlutton
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
If I may interrupt, what happens at 50's Prime Time that may be upsetting? I've never been.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
One of the ideas behind 50's PT is that you're eating at your kitchen table from when you (or your parents) were little.

So, depending on your server, they may bug you about eating your vegetables, bug you about your elbows on the table, make you ask before leaving the table to go to the bathroom, etc.

It is all good fun, and they are pretty good at figuring out who wants to play and who is just there to eat. We've has servers join our family pictures, make us translate for the British family next to us, blamed us for the spill on the floor and even one that jumped over the table and through an (interior) window.

It was good fun, but not you or typical meal!

WDW&MK
01-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Sent you a PM.

Kari

SBETigg
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I would change. My daughter was shy and both of my kids disliked interacting with strange adults Though they were always polite about it, it caused some family stress and I don't think anyone should have stress on vacation if easily avoided.

If she would feel embarrassed by the antics going on at your table, not just with her, I would definitely switch. The main point of eating there would be to enjoy the shenanigans, and if one of you finds that more taxing than enjoyable, why go through it? Sci-Fi is fun and doesn't involve that kind of interaction.

Pocahontas
01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I have never been to '50s Prime Time' and have only heard about it. From the replies, it doesn't sound as intense as I was imangining. I'll keep the ADRs and post a review when we get home.
Thanks!

I would change. My daughter was shy and both of my kids disliked interacting with strange adults Though they were always polite about it, it caused some family stress and I don't think anyone should have stress on vacation if easily avoided.

If she would feel embarrassed by the antics going on at your table, not just with her, I would definitely switch. The main point of eating there would be to enjoy the shenanigans, and if one of you finds that more taxing than enjoyable, why go through it? Sci-Fi is fun and doesn't involve that kind of interaction.

I don't think my (13 y/o) niece is overly shy, just can be easilly embarrassed at times. She is very close to my daughter who is 22 and I think if my daughter has fun and goes along with everything that would be a good buffer.

BelleKP
01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree with some of the previous posters . . . the wait staff are very good at reading their guests and know who to involve and who to let be. We went there with our DDs 5 and 9m and they fussed over the girls in a motherly way but basically let us eat in peace. We had lots of fun laughing at the expense of the guests next to us that were boisterous and played along. Same server, just really good at reading her audience . . . I think you should give it a try. I'm sure you will all have fun!
:thumbsup:

Janmac
01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
The last couple of times we ate at 50s Prime Time the interaction was quite low key, especially compared to the first couple of times.

One thing about Sci Fi Dine-in is someone in your group will be eating alone. The "cars" seat two together, six to a car. (DH doesn't like not being able to see what he's eating here.)

Jan