PDA

View Full Version : Help us choose a resort

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 08:47 AM
We are in early planning stages for our next trip in two years. I know its a long way out but it will be helpful to know where we want to stay so we can start saving and planning with the other family that will be with us. There will be three of us in our room, my mom, sister and me and we will be 45, 48 and 67 at that time. The family traveling with us consists of a 48 year old, 72 year old and 4 year old little girl. I love the idea of staying in the Epcot area but its also been a dream of ours to stay Savanna view at AKL. My Dad recently gifted us with a little bit of money which will make us possible to stay Deluxe. My sister likes the idea of staying Club Level so that is a big possibility. These are some of the suggestions from me and my sister. Pick your favorite and tell me why. Thanks

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
BTW, each family will have their own room.

another tink
01-04-2013, 09:18 AM
bEACH cLUB BECAUSE OF THE SWIMMING for the little one. And close to Epcot.:thumbsup:

faline
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
From the list you provided, I would select either the Beach Club or the Yacht Club, both for its location and for the lovely pool area.

SBETigg
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm with the others, Beach Club or Yacht Club. It depends on your vibe. I would choose Yacht Club, because I feel it's more adult in nature (not a plus for the four year old, but still not bad). It's more elegant and upscale than Beach Club, but also a little darker and quieter. If you like light, bright, and busy (seriously crowded lobby), stick with the Beach Club, always loaded with kids (a plus for the four year old).

I would not choose AKL, even though I would like to try it eventually too. Because the rooms are smaller and with three adults sharing a room, it wouldn't be my preference to go smaller. Plus, location. The BC and YC resorts are in a great location, hard to pass up.

Janmac
01-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Fort Wilderness is fun, but you do spend a lot of time in transit, even with your own car. When you said each would be getting your own room, are you meaning each would get your own cabin? Six can fit in one cabin but two of the beds are double and then there are the two bunks. The cabins have dark theming.

I didn't really detect much difference in theming between Yacht Club and Beach Club, nor did the kids in our group feel the atmosphere was more adult. I picked Beach Club over Yacht Club because the BC is closer to Epcot and to the Boardwalk. Definitely, for this trip, with this group, I'd pick an Epcot Resort. I picked the Beach Club over the Boardwalk because Stormalong Bay is a hoot. Even for 40 somethings. A huge amount of fun. No need to venture to a water park, for sure.

On one trip - I think it was the Yacht Club trip - we wound up eating breakfast at Cape May maybe 4 times that week. DH LOVES Cape May. After about the second morning we were greeted by all the CMs as old friends. Made our magical stay even more memorable. I think we only had ADRs for one morning but the other mornings we showed up about 7 am and got seated. This may not work now.

We too would like to get to Animal Kingdom at some point. It keeps getting put off. Maybe in a few years when we're all older (DH is 77 in a couple months :D ) and more interested in sitting and watching the view from the balcony.

Jan

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses. We definitely would have separate cabins. We are early risers, early to bed and the other family are late risers late to bed. We are planning to go either in January or February, so we probably won't really need the pool. I love the Epcot resort locations definitely, just don't know if I want to pass up the chance to sit on my balcony and watch the animals though....well, there are six of us so its not only my opinion. Some of you have mentioned room size, how much difference is there in the AK and BC/YC rooms in size? What about the conceirge offerings? Any opinions on that?

Sbetigg...I actually like the looks of the Yacht Club more, it looks more elegant to me. How much closer is the BC to Epcot than YC, if its not much I'd like to stay YC.

faline
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Sbetigg...I actually like the looks of the Yacht Club more, it looks more elegant to me. How much closer is the BC to Epcot than YC, if its not much I'd like to stay YC.

In my opinion, the distance difference really isn't worth mentioning. The Yacht Club, on many levels, appears to be an extension on the Beach Club but is treated as two different resorts. Go with what you prefer.

Dopey's Girl
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
I just got back from Beach Club in October and I loved it. Yacht club would be good too. No matter which you choose, you get to use Stormalong Bay, which any 4 year old would love!

AgentC
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Some of you have mentioned room size, how much difference is there in the AK and BC/YC rooms in size? What about the conceirge offerings? Any opinions on that?

AKL rooms are about 344 square feet. Beach, Yacht, Boardwalk around 381. You wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference but we always notice it. AKL rooms are a bit dark too.

I have never stayed concierge because I can never make myself spend the extra money but I have stayed at all of the resorts you listed.

I agree that Epcot is the best area for your group. My personal favorite is Yacht Club. My whole family (which includes a 4 year old) loves it, but we would stay at BC or BWI. Distance wise the walk to Epcot is not much different from each.

While I love AKL, you definitely feel more remote when you are staying there. The resort is beautiful and serene.

Fort Wilderness is okay but not personally my thing.

Janmac
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
How much closer is the BC to Epcot than YC, if its not much I'd like to stay YC.

I think there is a map here at the resorts tab above, all the way at the bottom of the Beach Club page. When we were at Beach Club we were in the area right beside Epcot. Walked down the stairs and out the door and over the bridge.

When at Yacht Club we were in the building furthest away from Epcot. I doubt we'd have noticed the length of the walk at all except that we were in Beach Club first and then a few trips later Yacht Club. The walk along the resort sure seemed long!

Jan

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AKL rooms are about 344 square feet. Beach, Yacht, Boardwalk around 381. You wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference but we always notice it. AKL rooms are a bit dark too.

I have never stayed concierge because I can never make myself spend the extra money but I have stayed at all of the resorts you listed.

I agree that Epcot is the best area for your group. My personal favorite is Yacht Club. My whole family (which includes a 4 year old) loves it, but we would stay at BC or BWI. Distance wise the walk to Epcot is not much different from each.

While I love AKL, you definitely feel more remote when you are staying there. The resort is beautiful and serene.

Fort Wilderness is okay but not personally my thing.

I read that their conceirge rooms are bigger at AKL, can anyone confirm that? I also read where you can sit on the balcony in Boardwalk's Conceirge Lounge and watch Illuminations. Can you hear everything as well? Oh so many things to consider....:confused:

AgentC
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I read that their conceirge rooms are bigger at AKL, can anyone confirm that? I also read where you can sit on the balcony in Boardwalk's Conceirge Lounge and watch Illuminations. Can you hear everything as well? Oh so many things to consider....:confused:

I checked several places and the concierge are supposed to be 381. Maybe someone who has stayed there can confirm. Another nice option if your sister is willing to give up on concierge is a one bedroom villa. We stayed at one at AKL-Kidani and it was beautiful.

darthmacho
01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd love to stay at AKL, so if that's an option for you, I'd recommend that, especially if you are going to eat at their restaurants. Love Boma!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
We did look at the suites earlier, she really wants to go Conceirge and has even suggested treating us for the upgrade for our Christmas that year. So, if she wants it that badly we will probably go with it. She was actually invited by her goddaughter's mother who is one of the other family we are going with and then she invited us so we are kind of tagging along on her trip but she knows I am a planner and Intercot junkie so she asked me to help price things out. Having said that, I can probably help persuade her towards a certain resort but not out of the club level rooms.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd love to stay at AKL, so if that's an option for you, I'd recommend that, especially if you are going to eat at their restaurants. Love Boma!

My mom and I tried Boma and unlike most others really were not big fans....I'm thinking I would like to try Jiko though and knowing my sister and her friend's taste in food that may end up on our ADR's

Crow
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
my opinion
i like BC location, but did not like the rooms etc..balcony was tiny, 2nd stay i had roof view. for the price not worth it
FW would b fun, i havent stayed there yet but you have the lake and activities
Coronado is tied for first among my fav moderates..the setting is nice and food court is diff.
AK has a great theme, but the location is far. the gift shop is nice. of my 2 stays, once ants in the sink. both times parking lot view..bad.
i stayed CL at wl...which is my fav resort cause of the theming. for the cost of CL though it ws too much for me this next trip compared to a non CL room.
so its hard for me to vote. the only thing for BC YC is location. and the kids would like the pool.
AK wins for theme
Coronado next

bruin1344
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Ooops meant to hit Beach Club instead of Boardwalk. Ive never stayed at YC, Boardwalk, or AKL. BC is one my favorite resorts in WDW because of the close walk to Epcot and DHS, Stormalong Bay, and the decor.

TikiGoddess
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
We are huge fans of the AKL club level. The rooms are the same size as the others in the resort. But you can't beat having breakfast, snacks, appetizers, drinks, and desserts ready and waiting for you during the day. Being able to sit out on your balcony and watch the animals is just wonderful -- the 4 yr old (and the adults!) will love it.

We have had great luck with the buses at AKL. It's never a long wait and the buses only stop at Kidani Village to pick up other passengers.

The shop at AKL is fantastic, as are the restaurants. Even The Mara is great for light lunches/dinners.

Kathy

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
my opinion
i like BC location, but did not like the rooms etc..balcony was tiny, 2nd stay i had roof view. for the price not worth it
FW would b fun, i havent stayed there yet but you have the lake and activities
Coronado is tied for first among my fav moderates..the setting is nice and food court is diff.
AK has a great theme, but the location is far. the gift shop is nice. of my 2 stays, once ants in the sink. both times parking lot view..bad.
i stayed CL at wl...which is my fav resort cause of the theming. for the cost of CL though it ws too much for me this next trip compared to a non CL room.
so its hard for me to vote. the only thing for BC YC is location. and the kids would like the pool.
AK wins for theme
Coronado next

Thanks just wondering what was the average wait and then commute for buses at AKL?

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Ooops meant to hit Beach Club instead of Boardwalk. Ive never stayed at YC, Boardwalk, or AKL. BC is one my favorite resorts in WDW because of the close walk to Epcot and DHS, Stormalong Bay, and the decor.

I've seen two different pictures of what the BC rooms look like. I really like the decor in the pics with the mostly white bedspreads but the pics with the green bedspreads not so much. Are those older pictures, has the resort been updated? Thanks

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
We are huge fans of the AKL club level. The rooms are the same size as the others in the resort. But you can't beat having breakfast, snacks, appetizers, drinks, and desserts ready and waiting for you during the day. Being able to sit out on your balcony and watch the animals is just wonderful -- the 4 yr old (and the adults!) will love it.

We have had great luck with the buses at AKL. It's never a long wait and the buses only stop at Kidani Village to pick up other passengers.

The shop at AKL is fantastic, as are the restaurants. Even The Mara is great for light lunches/dinners.

Kathy

Yeah! Honestly your review is the one I've been hoping to hear. AKL with Savanna view is just sooo tempting, but I've heard so many people talking about how far away it is so I was concerned about how long it takes to get to the parks. Also, I've heard on Intercot the rooms are small but I read in one of the planning books that the conceirge rooms are a bit larger. Also, I'm kind of liking BC with all the positive reviews, especially if the last room pictures I saw are accurate and can't beat the location. I think I've narrowed it down to two, but got to let everyone else put their opinion in. Thanks for the help

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I was looking at Garden View for Beach Club and Yacht Club...for Yacht club you get what you pay for a garden view for Beach Club it said garden view or parking lot...why would they charge more for a garden view and then stick you with looking at a parking lot? Can you book a garden view or do you have to take a chance? Yacht club may be better if this is the case.

AgentC
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
I was looking at Garden View for Beach Club and Yacht Club...for Yacht club you get what you pay for a garden view for Beach Club it said garden view or parking lot...why would they charge more for a garden view and then stick you with looking at a parking lot? Can you book a garden view or do you have to take a chance? Yacht club may be better if this is the case.

Beach Club used to just have standard view which was garden or parking lot. I looked and they do now list garden with just a garden view.
I did stay once with the "standard" view and did not get a parking lot view, but it is probably more likely now that they have broken out the categories.

There are not many parking lot views at Yacht and less roof views. You are also more likely to get a full balcony at Yacht. Beach club has quite a few standing balconies.

I have not had a bad location at either resort.

WDWParrothead
01-08-2013, 08:56 AM
First, full disclosure- AKL and YC are my two favorite resorts, so this is a tough, but fun, decision.

AKL is a really special resort, there is nothing else like it. Even after making several dozen trips to WDW, we felt transported to another place when we stayed at AKL. The lobby is breathtaking, and the theming is completely awesome.

We never had a issue with long waits for the buses to the theme parks, maybe 10-15 minutes at the worst times. While AKL may seem more remote than the other resorts, it somehow works with the theme. We loved pulling up to AKL at night, seeing the torches lit and the exotic theming- it felt like we really were on a safari. Not seeing other resorts or buildings nearby preserved the illusion.

We also found the Mara at AKL to be one of the best quick service restaurants in the deluxe resort category. The food was a step above what is to be expected, and the theming really works there (as in not feeling like you are in a food court). Being able to order a decent, fast breakfast and to have a comfortable table to eat it at gives AKL, in my opinion, a leg up on most of the other deluxe resorts.

Being able to see the animals from your room is a truly magical experience. More than once, we had a moment of "Oh wait, we forgot there are theme parks to see!"

To be honest, the only negatives about AKL we noticed involved the room itself. The rooms are noticeably smaller and as strange as it may sound, the beds weren't that great. The other furniture in the room was nice, but the beds felt cheap, especially the mattress.

Having stayed at both the YC and BC, the YC is my favorite. I find the YC rooms to be slightly nicer and the overall theme is be just a bit more upscale than the BC. We have had standard view rooms at both, and the YC looked over gardens, while the BC was a roof view. The great thing about these two resorts is that you can pick which room you like better, and yet still enjoy the amenities of the other. And having the Boardwalk across the water makes for a great atmosphere at night.

You have some great choices to pick from, just go with what excites you all the most. Have fun planning!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Beach Club used to just have standard view which was garden or parking lot. I looked and they do now list garden with just a garden view.
I did stay once with the "standard" view and did not get a parking lot view, but it is probably more likely now that they have broken out the categories.

There are not many parking lot views at Yacht and less roof views. You are also more likely to get a full balcony at Yacht. Beach club has quite a few standing balconies.

I have not had a bad location at either resort.

Okay thanks for the information:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
First, full disclosure- AKL and YC are my two favorite resorts, so this is a tough, but fun, decision.

AKL is a really special resort, there is nothing else like it. Even after making several dozen trips to WDW, we felt transported to another place when we stayed at AKL. The lobby is breathtaking, and the theming is completely awesome.

We never had a issue with long waits for the buses to the theme parks, maybe 10-15 minutes at the worst times. While AKL may seem more remote than the other resorts, it somehow works with the theme. We loved pulling up to AKL at night, seeing the torches lit and the exotic theming- it felt like we really were on a safari. Not seeing other resorts or buildings nearby preserved the illusion.

We also found the Mara at AKL to be one of the best quick service restaurants in the deluxe resort category. The food was a step above what is to be expected, and the theming really works there (as in not feeling like you are in a food court). Being able to order a decent, fast breakfast and to have a comfortable table to eat it at gives AKL, in my opinion, a leg up on most of the other deluxe resorts.

Being able to see the animals from your room is a truly magical experience. More than once, we had a moment of "Oh wait, we forgot there are theme parks to see!"

To be honest, the only negatives about AKL we noticed involved the room itself. The rooms are noticeably smaller and as strange as it may sound, the beds weren't that great. The other furniture in the room was nice, but the beds felt cheap, especially the mattress.

Having stayed at both the YC and BC, the YC is my favorite. I find the YC rooms to be slightly nicer and the overall theme is be just a bit more upscale than the BC. We have had standard view rooms at both, and the YC looked over gardens, while the BC was a roof view. The great thing about these two resorts is that you can pick which room you like better, and yet still enjoy the amenities of the other. And having the Boardwalk across the water makes for a great atmosphere at night.

You have some great choices to pick from, just go with what excites you all the most. Have fun planning!

You are right, if I were to choose just from the interior of the room it would be BC or YC easily, but the savanna view, the lobby decor all are so cool. I'm thinking we may spend a little bit more time at the resort on this trip, so I'm wondering would it be nicer to have a little extra room or to have the awesome view and savanna. It really doesn't bother me that AKL is far away as long as the bus waits are not unreasonable. On the other hand, the walk to Epcot from BC and the boat ride to DHS are nice. I wonder how the bus service to the other two parks are from here? I don't know, I'm sooo torn.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I think we've narrowed it down between AKL and BeachClub. Thanks for all the responses.

sisterslovindisney
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
We haven't stayed at any of the resorts you mentioned but we do love Club Level! We have stayed 3 times at the Polynesian Club Level and it is awesome! You will love club level if it's anything like what they have at the Poly!!

Gator
01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks just wondering what was the average wait and then commute for buses at AKL?

Other than the MK bus, the wait for the buses was pretty good at AKL. Obviously, the commute time is short for AK and long for the others. That said, I'd go with AKL if I had the money. It would be hard to pass up walking into Epcot, but the décor and feel of AKL is amazing. I can't imagine any Epcot resort comparing to anything but a Courtyard Marriott.

And I'm not a food fan at Boma's either, but the CS was pretty good.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks sounds good.

buzznwoodysmom
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
We have stayed at AKL three times now. While the Savannah view is amazing, we felt the novelty of it wear off. My son is a huge animal lover and he could be found standing on the balcony anytime we were in the room, but even he said it was great at first, but he doesn't need a whole week of it. We have always had the worst bus service from this resort. Not only did it always take long for a bus to arrive, whether we were traveling from the resort or from the parks, but unless we were headed to AK the actual ride also always felt long. I know some people like to feel away from it all at the end of the day, but we felt too far out, too disconnected from the rest of wdw. Nice for a short stay, but I don't know that I would want to be there for a whole week.

We loved BC!!! However, I think we loved YC just a tiny bit more. It was quieter and I liked the decor a bit more. Also keep in mind that if sitting on your balcony is important to you, many of the balconies at BC are standing room only. YC has a lot more regular balconies than BC. The location of our room at YC was wonderful. We were facing the wedding gazebo and could see a bit of the beach, main pool, and the walkway to the boat dock. We were just down the hall from a "short cut" exit that took us out just steps to the boat dock, and not much farther to epcot than if we were at BC. Perhaps we just lucked out on our room location,but it was an amazing location for us.