PDA

View Full Version : Daypack for parks?

Cass&KenziesMom
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Curious if anyone else brings a small daypack (backpack) with them to the parks. I found a pretty small backpack that is padded very well with compression straps so I can make it smaller if we take things out. Any suggestions on what we should bring with us? I know for sure we're bringing ponytail holders (my girls lose these a good bit), small autograph books, bandaids, Neosporin (tiny tube), ziplock with a few baby wipes, a couple of granola bars each day and those tiny packets you can mix with bottled water.. Stuff like that. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. I've seen somewhere that it suggests bug repellant. Does anyone think I'll really need that in February??? We still have a little bit to go (36 days!!! :mickey:) but my DH is about to leave for 28 days and comes home the day before we leave so I'm getting as much packing done now as I can. Thanks in advance!!!

TinkerbellT421
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I always carry Advil as a frequent headache and migraine sufferer. Tums just in case food doesn't agree with me. Also, we bought rain ponchos at the dollar store years ago that we always carry just in case one of the freaky quick thunderstorms roll through and we don't have to pony up a small fortune on the cheap ones they sell at the parks. Also carry a change ouch for press pennies and empty ziploc bags in case something breaks, or for stickers for my scrapbooking.

greengeen
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
You won't need bug repellant any time of year in WDW, and chances are slim you'll need bandaids or neosporin. Really, it's a theme park, not a survivalist camp. You'd be surprised how nice it is NOT to carry a bunch of stuff into the parks. I take a small wallet with my park tickets and credit cards, and I carry lip balm and hair ties. When the kids were in diapers we took a small diaper bag. Nothing else needed.

VWL Mom
01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't forget the fat pens or markers for the autograph book, they're much easier for the characters to hold. If your girls are of the age where they'll be in the splash zone you may want some dry socks and depending on the weather and their skin type you may get a small tube of sunscreen to take.

Cass&KenziesMom
01-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Really, it's a theme park, not a survivalist camp.
Ummm yeah thanks. Anyway you've never met my kids. They're notorious for accidents and we should buy stock in bandaids.

Everyone else thanks for the input. :)

Goofster
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I carry a backpack. We put motrin, some snacks, the iPad, camera, etc. in it. Comes in handy and my wife doesn't have to carry her purse. We found we needed it after the kids grew older and we no longer had a diaper bag or stroller to carry stuff in! :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
We're in the "don't take anything to the park" camp, but we do fill up DH's cargo shorts when needed.

We take benedryl, and our camera, but since DD is out of the autograph stage, that's about it ... sometime some lip balm.

If you do leave something behind (like Advil or bandaids), First Aid is well stocked and ready to help. We made (too much) use of them on our last trip, and every interaction was just wonderful.

We've only ever needed bug spray one or two nights at Disney, and they were both at the resort, never in the parks. We load up on sunscreen in the morning, and reapply if we come back for a break. But, with all of the in and out, we've only been burned once, at that was at a waterpark (where we did reapply a bunch of times, but it didn't help!)

When we did take a small bag, we made sure it was small enough (like yours) to come on the rides without any issues.

Joyollie
01-05-2013, 08:05 AM
I always bring Bandaids and my son is 16 and he never needed them, but I have helped alot of people who did need them. I even bring them with me, when my Husband and I travel without kids. :mickey:

Dulcee
01-06-2013, 09:08 AM
We always bring a backpack. Usually we have:

Two water bottles
Ponchos bought in advance
camera
cell phones
Advil
wallet
pepto
neosporin and bandaids (blisters are common with all the walking)
baby powder in warmer months for chaffing
ziplocks for keeping electronics dry
notes with reservations
light sweaters
Usually a few apples or oranges
this trip there was also a large supply of cough drops

For us carrying a backpack saves us money and time, it's a must for trips to the parks.

Dream'nDisney
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I still carry a small backpack, even though my kids are teenagers. I carry a water bottle and a few other things (medicine, etc. like posted above). It is nice to be able to throw all our phones, etc. in it when we are getting on a "water" ride. Plus, it is just easier than carrying a purse.