PDA

View Full Version : When to go...

dobby2010
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi guys. Planning our first trip with our little one and was a bit confused about when to go. We want to go before he turns three in aug of 2014 I think ideally we would go the last week of January 2014. Is this a good time to go? Are there usually room discounts at this time? We have a pin code good for up to 35 percent off room only that is good until the end of this September. Would I be better off going in September so I'm guaranteed a discount of some sort though my baby will be a bit younger and really wanted to wait until he was more like 2.5. Or should we wait until January and hope for some sort of discount to be released and have him a little bit older? Sorry this turned out long!

Strmchsr
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
There is usually some kind of discount for the last of January. The downside to January is a lot of refurbs take place then (though most of the stuff your little one probably wouldn't be ready for, like Splash Mountain) and the South American tour groups are there in spades, but the weather, though it can be cool (or even cold) is probably easier to deal with than the really hot times with a little one. I wouldn't worry about the discount, though. Get with Magical Journeys and they'll make sure you get whatever discount is available.

faline
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Hot, humid weather can be tough of the kids - not to mention their parents. With a toddler, I'd probably select January before September.

dobby2010
01-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies! We really do want to go in January for the weather like you said. Plus it'll be a nice respite from the snow we (usually, not this year!) have in Chicago by then. I just worry about the finances but will definitely book with magical journeys when the time comes so I can get the best deal possible.

Am I likely to run into these tour groups at AoA or POR? These are the two resorts we're looking into.

Strmchsr
01-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Am I likely to run into these tour groups at AoA or POR? These are the two resorts we're looking into.

POR - possibly, but the tour groups usually stay at the values. AoA probably not since it is mostly suites.

Pocahontas
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
We love to go in January or early February. I too really hate hot/humid weather. If you like to swim and even though the pools are heated, I (and from the amount of people I see at the pools) think that it's typically too cool to swim at this time of year. Yes, there can be more refurbs at that time, but there are plenty of open rides and attractions that this really hasn't been a problem for us. Even a favorite ride can be 'down' during the busy times of year. There is never any guarantees.

I'm sure you'll have fun whenever you choose to go.

ANG
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
We are throwing around the idea of going the last week in Jan 14 as well. We will have a 2 and 4 yr old so I'm thinking it may be a better time for them. We've been in Sept when our oldest was 5 months and it was miserably hot.

riley1129
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
My families favorite time of year to go is May. We generally go the first week of May. The crowds are great and the weather is perfect!

dobby2010
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
My families favorite time of year to go is May. We generally go the first week of May. The crowds are great and the weather is perfect!

I'll look into may, too thanks for the suggestion. Though its going to be hard enough to wait to January, lol. And I like the idea of getting out of the Midwestern winter for a week in January.

Strmchsr
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I agree that May is pretty good, too. I really enjoy the Flower and Garden Festival then. Crowds are higher than they used to be in May, but still not horrible. The one thing to keep in mind is that May can have nice weather (2012 was quite nice) but it can also be scorching hot. May 2011 was mid 90s the whole first week of May.