PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Living Club 2013

garymacd
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Well. Here it is! 2013. And with it, this year's Healthy Living Club. Hopefully one of the mods will see this and make it a sticky thread.

For myself, I intend to stay in the gym until my bike comes out in the spring. Then I want to continue with the workouts AND biking. My beloved wife already thinks I am a little nuts. I found that just riding this year and not going into the gym has left me with good cardio but reduced strength and flexibility. Not to mention incredibly tight IT bands in my legs.

My plans for my beautiful Giant TCR Composite bike this year is to continue commuting the 20 km to and from work once the ice leaves the roads and I won't have to suffer from frostbite. I know, I'm a weanie. I like the idea of saving all that gas. Just not at the cost of losing a toe or nose to the cold.

I would also like to ride at least 2000 km this year and maybe even do a "century" ride. Never gone that far before. My best was 65 km.

So where are you going this year? Let's hear from as many people as we can. Remember we are here to help and encourage each other. Let's hear those neat tips you have gained along the way. Let's also hear about the challenges you are facing. Someone out there may have solutions.

Gary

Lacy
01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
I started running to participate in RunDisney events and plan to keep running in 2013. I've done three Disney Half Marathons in the last three years and my goal this year is to do one not at Disney. Living in Denver it is always easier for me running at sea level so I'm going to challenge myself by running a Half here at altitude in May. And plan to get back to a RunDisney race in 2014.

Oh and I've decided to give up desserts for 2013 so maybe I'll start to look like a runner :blush: I'm not very good at counting calories, etc so I figured I'll start small by eliminating unnecessary calories.

marlyn
01-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I'd like to join the healthy living club. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but I know that I have to do something! I've been sick lately and feel I could be living a whole lot healthier.
I'm hoping to gather tips and strength from you all to get me where I need to be!

BrerGnat
01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Aw man, we're here again? I've started this year about 10 pounds north of where I'd like to be, so that is my goal: To get back down to my "fighting weight." I feel so much better at that weight. I've been having back and neck pains, more headaches, etc. all due to a measly 10 pound gain over the latter part of last year. Time to buckle down, have more self control, and get it off! I've been naughty on the dessert front lately. :blush: My new rule is going to be having a good dessert ONE time per week. No more. I'm allowing myself dark chocolate squares (just one or two) when I need a sweet in between.

I hope to continue to run regularly, and I have tentative plans to run in next January's Disney races (either the 5k or half). The 5K would be a cake walk for me, since I normally run 3-4 miles several times a day, but I've never actually run an organized race, and I NEVER run at the crack of dawn, so maybe I'll start small. ;)

Good luck to all this year!

Dopey's Girl
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I've been back at the gym at least 3, if not 4 days per week. I've promised myself that I'm running (running!) the 5k next year (2014) marathon weekend with a group of others here.

I'm determined to have lost at least 5 pants sizes by then on top of the 2 I'm already down. I'm not looking at a scale, because I know I'm adding muscle and as we all know, that weighs more. The numbers on the scale discourage me when they don't go down like I would like. So I'm trusting my pants instead!

garymacd
01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd like to join the healthy living club. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but I know that I have to do something! I've been sick lately and feel I could be living a whole lot healthier.
I'm hoping to gather tips and strength from you all to get me where I need to be!

Go get'em Lynne.

Start off slowly and don't expect miracles in the first few days. Don't be discouraged by some pain or sweat. It's natural!

And especially don't be consumed by the scale. Get on the scale once and don't get on it every day. Wait about a month to see what the numbers are. Judge more by how your clothes feel.

That last idea sparked something in my memory. For anyone out there who suffers from congestive heart failure or have family members who do, get a good digital scale and weigh yourself every day at the exact same time (first thing in the morning after ablutions, etc.) wearing the exact same clothing (well - nothing, actually). If you see a large increase in your weight in a short period of time, coupled with some swelling in the ankles and breathing problems, call your doctor. If the breathing problems become severe, call EMS/911 and for our friends in the UK: call 999

Ooh. Got sidetracked there for a minute.

Good luck all!

marlyn
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Go get'em Lynne.

Start off slowly and don't expect miracles in the first few days. Don't be discouraged by some pain or sweat. !

Thank you! I'm going to start by eating healthier, walking daily and cutting down on sweets. I'd love to eventually be able to run. My boys are track athletes and I'm always so amazed by runners. How wonderful it would be to do a Disney run with them!:mickey:

NewDVCowner
01-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I joined Weight Watchers six months ago and have lost 50 pounds. I figure I have another 20 to lose, so I'm going to keep working on that.

I also decided last September that I'm going to run the Disneyland half marathon in September of this year and started training. I've started the couch to 5k program, which I thought I'd never be able to do, but now am nearly finished with it, running for 25 minutes straight!

So, my healthy living resolution for 2013 is to keep on the path that I started last year. Honestly at this time last year I NEVER would have thought about running a half marathon and I wouldn't have believed how much weight I've lost (or, honestly, how much I NEEDED to lose, that was a big shock).

marlyn
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Way to go Aryn! That is awesome!

Lacy
01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Keep up th great work aryn! I have heard of several others having a lot if luck with the couch to 5k and I have to say that doing a Disney half would be the perfect accomplishment to see how far you've come!

BrerGnat - I'm with you on the 10 lbs and it really is crazy to me how much different I feel just one pant size smaller.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to being accountable to the intercot healthy living club!

BrerGnat
01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Aaaaand....our treadmill just broke this morning. The rear roller holding the belt just came OFF it's hinge. My DH hurt his shoulder pretty badly when he fell. :(

So now, I guess it's either:

A) Run in the freezing cold outside.

or

B) Run up and down my stairs for 30 min.

Both sound equally unappealing...

TheVBs
01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Oh boy did I indulge over the holidays. :blush: Started out the new year a few pounds north of where I was myself. But, the sweets are out of the house and I'm regaining control of my eating and tracking my food again. Also, my workouts are almost up to normal again.

Marlyn, Gary's advice is great! Start out slow and don't get discouraged. Any positive change you make, no matter how small, makes a difference and can be built on. When I started out I picked what I thought was my one worst eating habit and started from there. That was almost 40lbs ago.

BrerGnat, so sorry about your treadmill. :( That really stinks. I rely on mine A LOT and I feel your pain.

Last year I had wanted to make sure we all had bikes and could enjoy that as a family activity. It didn't happen, and I'm hoping to make it happen this year.

Congratulations to all of you that have made great changes in your life! Here's hoping for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2013. :)

BrerGnat
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
BrerGnat, so sorry about your treadmill. :( That really stinks. I rely on mine A LOT and I feel your pain.

Thanks. Luckily, it's under warranty. New parts are ordered and on the way, and a technician should be out to fix it within the week. Thankfully, the weather this week seems to be taking a slight warming trend, so running outdoors in the afternoons isn't so bad. Just got back from a jog with the pooch. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Joining in.... I have some work ahead of me, so it'd be nice to do it with some fellow I'cotees!

I lost 34 lbs a year and a half ago... most of it with hard work, the last bit of it b/c of a stressful situation... so looking to reclaim the hard work part and get back where I was! I gained back quite a few pounds over the last 2 months, I'm such a winter cook/hibernator!!

I was running really well until mid-summer, then did something to my R knee that still troubles me now & again, so I am trying to slowly build up my running again.... hoping to run @ Disney, but we'll see how the next few months go. For now, it'll be enough if it helps with some weight loss and just overall wellness.

Trying a new approach to eating, as well... starting on a specific healthy eating plan Monday, for a month... then will work it all back into my normal diet. We'll see how it goes... just need a jump start, I'm not a patient person, so if in a month I can see a difference, it will propel me to continue. :blush:

Heading back to the gym Sunday... it's been awhile, and I'm 50% looking forward to it, and 50% not. ;)

Good luck to everyone!!

garymacd
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
WOW!

Lot's of activity. Lot's of energy! Love it!

My first two immediate goals are to get over this cellulitis that has the side of my face all swollen up and incredible pain in my ear. (glad I proof-read before I submit - I actually typed REAR)

The second one is to get rid of the rest of the Christmas goodies my wife and I baked with plans to give out to family and friends, but we decided to eat ourselves. At least many of them were gluten-free, so our youngest could help with the eating.

Next week, I head to London Ontario to help certify some Fire Department people in Emergency Medical Care. I will be taking my yoga mat with me and maybe some light weights to work out in my hotel room.

Then, back to regular workouts in the gym at work and at home.

Dulcee
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Chiming in here too! Goal for the year is to drop another 15lbs. I lost 10 in the second half of 2012 by counting calories but with a five foot frame and serious love of cooking and baking it was slow going. Current project is to up my calories burned by aerobic work to 200 a day. Small changes that become routine seem to work best for me.

good luck everyone :)

magicofdisney
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm allowing myself dark chocolate squares (just one or two) when I need a sweet in between.

So I'm not the only one doing this? ;)

I need to learn to be more consistent with my routines. Our fitness center unexpectedly closed the other day so I came home and did a kettle bell workout with a video. Oh MAN...I could barely walk for 3 days... Like I said, if I were more consistent with that activity, squats wouldn't have such a painful after effect. To that note, I ordered more kettle bells to have greater variety. Right now I only have 1 size but will have 4 to choose from when these new ones arrive.

Lacy
01-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I've officially made it 20 days without dessert and it is getting easier. It has been somewhat tricky defining what constitutes a dessert and what is ok. For example I've decided donuts are desserts and some but not all muffins. I guess I'll make judgement calls throughout the year. My pants are feeling a bit loser so some progress.

Hope everyone else is doing good on their goals!

Cheshire_Girl
01-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Nice to see all the sharing and encouragement here.
It has been almost 2 years since big changes started in my life. Over the course of 1 of those years I lost about 50 lbs-and it was easy. I woke up and decided to do it FINALLY and just started walking-and my relationship with food changed..and it was great. And I kept the weight off until 3 months ago-I decided it was time to give up the smokeys (I had smoked cigarettes for 20+ years) I knew I would gain some of the weight back-but I wasn't expecting this.
I gained 15 lbs back!! Not to mention, I still had 15 to go to get to my original goal weight from when I started this journey...
So, last month I started my new work out-and man, this isn't going to be easy like it was the first time around! Im working my bum off here.
Last week I decided to train for the 2014 Half marathon at WDW. This year is going to be busy.
but I know I can do it. All of us can!!
And for the record...I decided I dont' have a goal weight anymore. Like someone else here said-muscle weighs more and so it throws me off to see the scale going up not down...yet I feel great.
So I've decided I don't care how much I weigh. I care about how I look and feel in my own skin.
My goal this year is to feel more at home in my own body than I ever have before!!!
Godd Luck everyone. I can't wait to run the 1/2 with some of you next year.:number1:

IwannabeinNarnia
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi! May I join the club? I just started taking Green Coffee Bean Extract. Hopefully Dr. Oz wasn't lying when he said it works. I do not want to rely on pills though to lose my weight.. so I am trying to also incorporate diet and exercise changes into my life. Need to toss out or get rid of the rest of the junk that is in my house, then plan to never buy it again. I am trying to decide between buying a kettle ball, or a 2lb weighted hula hoop? I need to lose about 20 lbs.. would love to be a size 6 by my anniversary in November. Would love to be a size 3 again, but at my age I'm sure that's not a realistic goal. I finished a half marathon a few years ago (mostly speed walking)..lost a toenail because of it. Haven't done any marathons since. But I would love to run the Tower of Terror 10k next year (2014).

TheVBs
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Not doing well on this recently. We've taken some big hits over the last month. We almost lost my mom, DH got laid off and we're experiencing some struggles with DD12's middle school. I haven't been tracking my food, but it's safe to say I'm taking in more calories. Really going for those comfort foods. Needing a second cup of coffee later in the day because I feel so run down. I have at least stepped my work out back up, but it's a struggle to do it lately. I feel achy and tired and stressed all the time. :(

garymacd
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Not doing well on this recently. We've taken some big hits over the last month. We almost lost my mom, DH got laid off and we're experiencing some struggles with DD12's middle school. I haven't been tracking my food, but it's safe to say I'm taking in more calories. Really going for those comfort foods. Needing a second cup of coffee later in the day because I feel so run down. I have at least stepped my work out back up, but it's a struggle to do it lately. I feel achy and tired and stressed all the time. :(

I haven't been doing so well myself. I have been travelling a lot recently for my growing business as well as continuing with my full-time job. Living in hotels and eating out are not good ways to keep trim. I was often too tired and busy once I got back to my hotel to exercise. The travelling continues with a course away from home last Saturday and another next week. Maybe my beloved wife is right: maybe I should retire - so I can work full time.

To top everything off, my b-i-l passed away last Monday from end-stage diabetes: liver, kidney, heart failure, heart attack, gangrenous legs, the whole nine yards. He didn't want a funeral or any visitation, but my s-i-l, her children and his parents wanted something, so my beloved wife and I pulled together a reception in our house. We had so many people here, I was afraid the floor would collapse.

In preparation for this, we spent all Friday baking funeral goodies and ordering funeral sandwiches from the local grocery store.

I made too many chocolate chip cookies. Anyone want some? If not, I will have to eat them all.

I really need to get back to exercising. Well, back to work this week. Maybe I'll have time for the gym then; but then it is back to travelling the next week.

And so it goes...

BrerGnat
01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I've been knocked off the wagon too. :(

A migraine sidelined me last week for three days. Then, I spent two more days in "migraine hangover" mode. Migraines make me crave sweets and carbs too, so I spent like 5 days eating banana bread and pizza. Sigh.

I finally worked out on Sunday for the first time in almost a week. I basically undid all my weight loss so far in one week, and I'm back to square one.

magicofdisney
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Gary, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Even when a loved one is terminally ill, you can never fully prepare. :(

I'm so grateful that we are as willing to share our failure as much as our successes. That's what keeps it real. It's nice to know you can come here and receive support and not judgement. Just acknowledging these step backs is a way to ultimately stay on track. It's not the the pitstops that define us, it's the journey. :thumbsup:

TheVBs
01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Hugs for both of you! Gary, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your life gets turned upside down when something like that happens. Natalie, really sorry about your migraine too. I have a friend who gets them, so I've seen how debilitating they can be.

I think it's great that we can share our setbacks here too.

Lacy
02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Gary - sorry to hear about your loss. How nice of you and your dw to host the reception and some things are worth sidelining exercise for.

BrerGnat - I sympathize with you on the migraine. They are the worst and it takes forever to get back into a normal routine. Plus, like you said I always crave the carbs and sugars after an attack.

I started to notice results after the first couple of weeks starting the no desserts and keeping an exercise log but now things seemed to have leveled off and don't seem to be seeing any changes. Any advice for pushing through with resolutions even without seeing results?

TheVBs
02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
It can be so frustrating to reach that leveling out point. It can be worth it to re-look at what you're eating. Are there any more changes you can make? Even if you just pick one thing it can make a difference. Also, I think our bodies sometimes get used to work out routines and it's worth changing that up a little as well. Throw in some different strength exercises or try a different cardio work out. Hope you can get over that hump Lacy. I'm trying to do the same!

disneydeb
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Could I join the group?

I am diabetic and my endocrinologist says I am not terribly, but HORRIBLY, insulin reistant. Not good -- that means I have to take so much insulin to keep my blood sugar under control that it is really dificult for me to lose weight.

So I am trying to not have any carbs from potatoes, breads, cereal, pasta, rice, corn, cooked carrots, green peas, bananas and limiting fruits to one serving daily. I have also gone from the couch to walking 1 and a half miles daily... I am increasing a bit more each day.

I am not only doing this for my health, although that is most important, I hope to go to Disney in October without an ECV!

I hope we all reach our goals !!

TheVBs
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Wow! It sounds like you're doing great DisneyDeb! :mickey: Your food changes are really ambitious and should make a huge impact. So will the walking! From the couch to 1 1/2 miles a day is excellent. Keep going, we're all cheering you on!

roses
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I haven't been on the wagon longer than overnight while I'm sleeping. :rolleyes: I always go to bed thinking, I'm going to be a better person in the morning - get up, have a healthy shake, do some yoga, etc. Then I get up and see coffee and eggs... I really need to start getting on the wagon and staying on it - I'm so miserable about myself - I dress with baggy pants and sweatshirts because it's just more comfortable than having fitted clothing stick to my tummy :(

disneydeb
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Roses, you remind me of me, I say almost everyday.."Tomorrow, I will be perfect".

Yesterday, I was TERRIBLE. I went with my daughter to help her manage her children while at Chucky Cheese's. I ate pizza I couldn't stop at one piece either.

I am back on track today.so far..

cer
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Roses, you remind me of me, I say almost everyday.."Tomorrow, I will be perfect".

That "P" word is a dirty word in my house. I try to do better tomorrow than I did today.

If I were to work toward perfection, it would be an unattainable standard and I would talk myself out of trying at all. Why bother, if I can't ever be perfect?

- I know, I am not right in the head. :secret:

NewDVCowner
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
That "P" word is a dirty word in my house. I try to do better tomorrow than I did today.

If I were to work toward perfection, it would be an unattainable standard and I would talk myself out of trying at all. Why bother, if I can't ever be perfect?

- I know, I am not right in the head. :secret:

I think you're totally right in the head. That's a great way of thinking about things - in fact, my Weight Watchers leader really hammers that point. Don't work on being perfect, just work at being better. It's too discouraging if you're looking to be perfect and always come up a little short.

TheVBs
02-20-2013, 07:55 AM
I agree, "perfect" is a dirty word. You don't have to be perfect to be successful. And try not to judge yourself at the end of every day. You need to look at a longer term impact. How did the week go, or even the month?

Also, I don't see anything wrong with coffee and eggs for breakfast Roses. Coffee all day could be a problem. If you really like eggs for breakfast, then just think about how they're being cooked or what you're having with them instead of trying to have something that you don't want. Use an olive oil spray instead of butter. Maybe have some chopped tomato and avocado on the side? You can always adjust other meals to accommodate. I think the key is variety. Certain foods have gotten a bad rap, when really, they're just fine in moderation. I'm also a little suspicious of those health shakes. Sometimes they're loaded with calories you're unaware of, or they're not filling so you end up eating another meal to feel full.

I most definitely have not been perfect. I can't seem to get back into tracking my food. I think that's ok as long as I'm staying aware of what I'm eating, which I think I can do now. My workout routine is still not as regular as it was, but it's better at least.

magicofdisney
02-20-2013, 09:20 AM
I agree with TheVBs on eggs. I have eggs nearly every day. I think they're one of the best, natural foods available. I nearly always cook mine using refined coconut oil. They are FANTASTIC!

Speaking of coconut oil, it is wonderful! I use the refined when I don't want the coconut flavor mixed in my food. Otherwise I use an organic variety full of that scrumptious flavoring. I realize not everyone enjoys the flavor of coconut but the health benefits are outstanding. It's gotten a bad rap in the past because it's solid under 76 degrees F. I highly recommend anyone interested to research the health benefits. You may be astounded.

I know we've spoken on this before, but water, water, water. And I'm not saying it's easy, especially if the thought of water turns your stomach, like it used to do to me. I've been committed to healthy water intake for a few years now and I'm just now beginning to crave it on occasion. This from a girl whose primary liquid intake used to consist of sodas and teas.

Another controversial health issue is the use of microwaves for cooking or heating up food. I won't get into it here, but I'll tell you I no longer use mine. That's my personal choice, but it's something to consider.

BTW, I also drink coffee everyday. I make it in my 4 cup machine everyday and that's how I limit myself.

By no means do I have a perfect diet. I still eat processed foods. Generally speaking, my habits are loads better than before this journey began. What works best for me is to do a little at a time. I know that way I'll be more likely to stick with the changes. :)

garymacd
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Have I really been away from the boards for three, going on four weeks? Unbelievable. It has been a crazy time for me. Working and trying to keep up with my training business, which has taken me to such exotic locales as London, Sarnia and Guelph, Ontario, has certainly taken a toll on my free time. Thank you all for your kind thoughts on the passing of my brother-in-law.

You will be impressed to know that while I was away, I still managed to work out most evenings when I got back to my hotel room. Too bad that I was eating restaurant food for all that time, but I did try to make healthy choices. half-size Subway sandwiches, lots of salads, no fries with MOST of my dinners.

But now I'm back with only one or two away from home assignments in the near future. I can try to get back to a regular routine - working four days or nights a week and teaching a couple days a week - the usual. Hopefully I won't be too tired to continue working out.

I am glad to see so many of you are still working hard at fitness, and I am also glad to see some new people taking the bull by the horns and trying to make their lives better.

DISNEYDEB, remember: this is one day at a time. If you struggle one day, don't beat yourself up about it. Put it in the past and move on. You can do it. I ran into someone a few weeks ago who was not quite in the same situation you are. He said about a year ago his doctor wanted to put him on another medication so that he wouldn't have to make lifestyle changes. He realised at that moment that he had to make those changes. He is now almost completely drug-free, doesn't have to use a CPAP for sleep apnea anymore and he has lost almost half his body weight in just over a year. You can do it . We are here to help and support you.

On a lighter note my wife and I were out driving the other day and I was lamenting my lack of time and energy to exercise, when she looked at a building on the side of the street and said, "You have to be kidding. Jos Louis Factory Outlet?" Unless you're from Canada, you won't understand the reference, but Jos. Louis are a small, round chocolate iced, chocolate cake with a cream filling, and also my one really bad guilty pleasure/addiction! To make matter worse, they also have Double Jos. Louis now, and just to make me feel less guilty, half Jos. Louis. She wouldn't let me turn back to get a box or two.

How can I possibly live with this store in my neighbourhood? At least it's not in easy walking distance. I can get a great amount of exercise walking to the store.

disneydeb
02-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I agree about the eggs and coconut oil! It looks to be solid at 76 degrees and below, but it becomes liquid above that and stays liquid as long os one is within normal range temps of 98.6!

Good luck today for everyone working the program!:thumbsup:

garymacd
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
I have been on the road again this week, this time in the beautiful, historic town of Cornwall, Ontario. So another week of eating restaurant food and trying to make healthy choices, squeezing workouts between my bed and dresser and spending hours supervising and assisting new instructors.

I gotta love it!

Tonight is my last night here. Tomorrow will be a short day and then I start the long drive back home through Toronto in rush hour. But tonight I am just too tired and sore to do anything, so I had a night off from exercise to rest my knees and shoulders. It's a good thing this is my recovery week, which means no heavy weights or really strenuous cardio workouts.

Maybe tomorrow when I get home...

magicofdisney
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
I have a mini triumph. :blush:

Yesterday I went to the fitness center to workout. We have one here in the neighborhood so it's not too large. We have 1 elliptical and 2 treadmills for cardio. My preferred cardio workout is the elliptical. They recently installed a new one so I'm excited to use it. Unfortunately, it was broken when I began so I had to switch gears. I decided to use a treadmill.

I would LOVE to be a runner. However, it is so uncomfortable for me that I just don't pursue it heavily.

On the treadmill I figured I'd give it a good 10 minutes. To be honest, I've never run more than a mile and usually have to take a break to complete that. Well, yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill (at 16min per mile) without stopping! I can still hardly believe I pulled it off. I realize I'm not setting any records here. I can feel it in my hips today. Maybe this is the little victory I needed to push me further. Only time will tell, but I feel quite euphoric. :)

cer
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I have a mini triumph. :blush:

Yesterday I went to the fitness center to workout. We have one here in the neighborhood so it's not too large. We have 1 elliptical and 2 treadmills for cardio. My preferred cardio workout is the elliptical. They recently installed a new one so I'm excited to use it. Unfortunately, it was broken when I began so I had to switch gears. I decided to use a treadmill.

I would LOVE to be a runner. However, it is so uncomfortable for me that I just don't pursue it heavily.

On the treadmill I figured I'd give it a good 10 minutes. To be honest, I've never run more than a mile and usually have to take a break to complete that. Well, yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill (at 16min per mile) without stopping! I can still hardly believe I pulled it off. I realize I'm not setting any records here. I can feel it in my hips today. Maybe this is the little victory I needed to push me further. Only time will tell, but I feel quite euphoric. :)

So very excited for you! :number1:

roses
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
:thumbsup: Great job! That's so exciting! I've been doing alright (alright being the key word, some days are way better than others - like today I've kept inside my alloted calories but that's with breaking down and eating 6 (yes I said 6) girl scout cookies). Each day is a new challenge!

garymacd
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Genna: sometimes small victories are the best victories, and they don't usually hurt as much.

Rose: six girl guide cookies? You should be in my house right now. I made a large batch of chocolate chip cookies for an Easter dinner here!

But it's okay. Half the batch is gluten free!

disneydeb
04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
WooHoo!

I have dropped about 15 pounds so far...Lots more to go though!

It is going slowly, very slowly.

garymacd
06-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Well, after a failed start at commuting by bike this spring (bad infection, couldn't breathe) I have started again haphazardly with rides on days off and a few rides to work.

I got to work today and after showering, put my clothes on only to find my pants loose and my belt on the last hole!

I would have to guess that the riding is working. 20 to 40 km a day will do that.

magicofdisney
06-26-2013, 09:38 AM
WooHoo!

I have dropped about 15 pounds so far...Lots more to go though!

It is going slowly, very slowly.

That is FANTASTIC news! I'd take slow loss over slow gain any day of the week. :)

I got to work today and after showering, put my clothes on only to find my pants loose and my belt on the last hole!

I would have to guess that the riding is working. 20 to 40 km a day will do that.

I LOVE the feeling of looser clothes. I'd say you're correct about riding. Congrats!

I finally ran my 5K...on the treadmill. ;) It took me 40min, but I did it. I promptly proceeded to go out and route a 5K lap through my neighborhood. However, the weather has been so blazing hot, I've not had the motivation to go out and actually run. It's not easy choosing a run over the treadmill in an 70 degree fitness center. :blush:

garymacd
07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
New carbon fibre Giant TCR bike last year. Put on so many kilometers that I had to buy new tires today. I noticed a split in the tread area of my rear tire. Probably not a good thing to be riding on.

I also bought a new seat today. I have been trying to punish the stock seat into submission, but MY seat was losing the battle. I was going to go for a ride after I changed the tires and seat but it's just too darned hot to even think about it right now.

Just a quick safety note: we had rider in town knocked off his bike and another was killed after getting knocked off his bike a few hours north of us, both yesterday. Please make sure you have working lights, reflectors and bells on your bike and ride according to the rules of the road for your area. If you are driving your car, please keep an eye out for those of us on our bikes. We all want to get home and get home in one piece.

Arielfan98
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi guys so I was recommended to come here I'd like to join this club because I am trying to lose a goal weight of 15 pounds. My next Disney trip is mid August and even if I can't lose 15 pounds before then I'd at least like to try. So far I have been working out for 1 hour each day first by walking my dog as a warm up then proceeding to doing a cardio/ab workout on optimum on demand (it's free!). But I was wondering if anyone else had any tips on helping me achieve my goal (I can't afford P90x)?

garymacd
07-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi guys so I was recommended to come here I'd like to join this club because I am trying to lose a goal weight of 15 pounds. My next Disney trip is mid August and even if I can't lose 15 pounds before then I'd at least like to try. So far I have been working out for 1 hour each day first by walking my dog as a warm up then proceeding to doing a cardio/ab workout on optimum on demand (it's free!). But I was wondering if anyone else had any tips on helping me achieve my goal (I can't afford P90x)?Glad you found us. I hope you meet your goals. Here are some tips for you.

Mix up your workouts. Don't do the same things over and over, day after day. Try doing a strength day and then a cardio day. Walking the dog is great and can be a great warmup for your exercise or, done right, it can be a great cardio exercise in itself.
Watch what you put in your body. Mix that up as well.
Get lots of fresh veggies and fruit, and limit the sweet treats. I always hated the idea of never again having chocolate cake. Take everything in moderation.
Anybody else have some other ideas? Lets help Arielfan meet her goal.

Arielfan98
07-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Glad you found us. I hope you meet your goals. Here are some tips for you.

Mix up your workouts. Don't do the same things over and over, day after day. Try doing a strength day and then a cardio day. Walking the dog is great and can be a great warmup for your exercise or, done right, it can be a great cardio exercise in itself.
Watch what you put in your body. Mix that up as well.
Get lots of fresh veggies and fruit, and limit the sweet treats. I always hated the idea of never again having chocolate cake. Take everything in moderation.
Anybody else have some other ideas? Lets help Arielfan meet her goal.

Thank you for the tips. I am trying to mix up my workouts but it's hard when I'm immobile but nonetheless I plan on joining a local gym and attending kickboxing and zumba classes.

garymacd
11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I am sitting here having mixed feelings. On the one hand, my daughter was married on the weekend and we are all heading to WDW for a group honeymoon this coming week. Can't wait. The wedding was wonderful. It went off without a hitch; smiles, laughs, tears, dancing our you-know-what's off! My wife made all the floral decorations and centre-pieces. Our younger daughter designed and made all the invitations, place cards. Basically everything paper related, she made. She even designs Disney products for Wal-Mart, Target, and numerous other outlets, so she brought home Mickey and Minnie luggage tags for everyone going on the trip. It is going to be so much fun. There are several people who have never seen the World before and I can't wait to experience it through their eyes.

On the other hand, the weather has started to change, and with my bike only being able to accommodate narrow road racing tires, I have decided to put my bike away until spring. I am really missing it!

I did manage to meet some of my goals this year. I road well over 2000 km's. Saved lots of gas and money. Fitness level now is better than ever - for an old guy. I actually feel better now than I did when I was in my 30's.

After we come home, I will start planning for the spring when the bike comes back out of the shed. (I feel a bit like Pee Wee Herman in Pee Wee's Big Adventure)

In the mean time, Tony Horton: I'm coming for you! Here we go with another couple of rounds of P90X.