PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak report

thetraveler
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Just wanted to report on our October trip from North Carolina to Kissimmee via Amtrak. First, a quick thanks to all those who gave me valuable information that made the trip even more stress-free.

Amtrak was awesome. I'll be the first to admit it may not be for everyone but was perfect for us. We opted for coach seats in lieu of roomettes and are glad we did. While the roomettes would have been nice, it would have doubled the price.

The seats were quite comfortable, very roomy and more than adequate for the 15 hour trip. We gave our boys Nexus 7 tablets for the trip...downloaded some games and movies before the trip and they were never bored. Sleeping was easy in the seats.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. They were aware that a family was boarding and made sure on both legs that we were seated all together. That was a big concern of mine but turned out to be a non-issue completely. The train was almost full both ways too.

The facilities were clean....not spotless but tolerable. Two in each car seems to be enough to make waiting almost non-existent.

My wife and oldest son suffer from some motion sickness but the movement of the train did not bother them in the least. The noise was less than I expected and did not interfere with sleep.

The only issue I had was the movement of passengers through the cars. People walking to and from the dining and snack cars could get distracting...not enough to be annoying but I could see where it would be bothersome to some. On the return trip we were in the last car and that was not an issue.

I would definitely do it again.

faline
01-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Glad it worked out well for you and your family.

Katzateer
01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the report - my husband wants to try this sometime but I am not sure.

How did you get from the train station to WDW? If you don't rent a car, can it be done?

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. We LOVE the autotrain, and are always glad to hear of good trips on the "regular" :train: too.

thetraveler
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
We used a car service from Kissimmee to POP and back. There are no waiting cabs at that station. Had a slight delay at Orlando station. Driver sent text the night before confirming everything and another text advising us that he was at the station. Was very understanding and assured that he would be waiting when we arrived. We were about 25 minutes late and he was waiting.

Worth every penny.

thetraveler
01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
It was definitely an adventure. I was somewhat apprehensive as it was our first time on the train. I can honestly say that all concerns I had before the trip turned out to be non-issues. It was fun...our boys (16 & 11) had a blast.

We left in the evening so sightseeing was limited. That's good or bad depending on how you look at it. Leaving around sunset makes it easier to relax and eventually go to sleep. We slept fine both trips...arrived in Kissimmee around 11:00 am, straight to POP, checked in immediately and hit MK by lunchtime.

It was substantially cheaper than flying (my wife won't fly anymore anyway) and a lot less stress than driving.

Katzateer
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info. About how much was it for the transportation to the resort? So spoiled with Magical Express I would miss that perk from flying.

When I am at the Amtrak station in Philly and they announce the train that stops in Orlando I want to run over and get on it sooooo bad. Maybe someday.:thumbsup:

Janmac
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear your first land cruise went smoothly and that it's an option in the future. Traveling by rail generally leaves me much more rested than by auto or air. Did you and your family bring blankets, pillows, and eye masks? I'm surprised you didn't see any cabs at the station.

Katzateer: in April we used one transport company for Kissimmee to WDW (Tiffany Towncar) and another one from WDW to Kissimmee (Noble Trans). Round trip fares were the same with both companies, both were friendly and helpful, so I wound up booking each one, one way. I want to say it was $75 one way.

I tried to use the Intercot Sponsor, Quicksilver, but this gentleman has some difficulties with Kissimmee and actually refused to come and get us. Our Tiffany Towncar driver said he much preferred going to Amtrak in Kissimmee over Orlando, and I prefer to use the Kissimmee train station over Orlando.

Jan

thetraveler
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I also tried to use Quicksilver but they will not pick up or drop off at Kissimmee. I used a former Intercot sponsor with excellent results. Each leg was $60 plus gratuity. Not much more than a cab and I like certainty. I did book a one-way trip prior to leaving and booked the return after we arrived.....solid advice I received here.

Kissimmee is a much smaller stop. We were the only people that disembarked there...only two other people got on with us when we returned. No hustle or bustle and about the same travel time to Disney. It's much easier to get on and off without dozens of people crowding around.

We took small fleece blankets and are glad we did. I gave my wife a neck pillow but she didn't see the need and never used it. Amtrak provides pillows that are adequate...enough so that I would not aggravate with packing them in the future. They dim the car lights in the evening...around 10:00 pm I believe. While it is dark enough to relax (about night light bright), some people may need something to shield out the light. It didn't bother me and I slept like a baby.

thetraveler
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Come to think about it...there may have been a "cab" there when we arrived. If memory serves it was a mini-van...but that was the only one.

January-2007
01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for reporting. We've taken the train to WDW a few times and much prefer driving now that we've gotten into the groove. So glad you and your family had a positive experience.

CanadianWDWFan
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your report. Glad you enjoyed your travels. We took our first train ride to WDW last summer, I am a convert to this mode of travel.

BigRedDad
01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I never thought to take a train. I am in NC as well in Raleigh. I am sure I would have to have a room if we did it. There is no way I could sit in a seat and be comfortable. The first stop for me would be a chiropractor for sure.

For my upcoming trip, I priced out for my daughter and I. It is very reasonable with coach seats. No way a room is affordable. I can make the drive in 10 hours from Raleigh and about $200 in gas. I can definitely see the savings based on wear-and-tear on the car.

I am glad it was great for you. There are advantages of doing this. I think I would try it if a room was affordable.