PDA

View Full Version : NFL Coaches fired

SandmanGStefani24
01-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Ok, Lovie Smith fired, and Rex Ryan still has his job :confused:

Anyone actually support or understand why Rex is still coaching? He reminds me of the stubborn mule on Family Guy.

"NO. Kevin bacon wasn't in Footloose"

GAN
01-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Two organizations that aren't going anywhere anytime soon... Bad decisions start at the top.

VWL Mom
01-01-2013, 08:52 AM
My boys were on the war path about Rex yesterday. The GM, Ryan & Sanchez should all be history! Ryan's favorite line of 2012..."We just didn't play like Jets"

Ian
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah, but Andy Reid was fired! Did I mention Andy Reid got fired?? Hey, Andy Reid got fired!

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

GAN
01-01-2013, 07:53 PM
You know, I can't stand the Eagles but I've always liked Reid. Not sure what the actual problem was, but I'm sure for Eagles fans his time had come. He'll end up somewhere I'm sure.

TinkerbellT421
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but Andy Reid was fired! Did I mention Andy Reid got fired?? Hey, Andy Reid got fired!

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Took long enough! Lol

Ian
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
You know, I can't stand the Eagles but I've always liked Reid. Not sure what the actual problem was, but I'm sure for Eagles fans his time had come. He'll end up somewhere I'm sure.Andy's problem was very simple ... he was stubborn. Stubborn as a mule. Things worked great for him when his plan worked out and the other team did what he expected them to do. But he was a HORRIBLE in game coach. He can't adjust for anything. He's a plodder. He just muddles along and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't.

He'll coach somewhere else but he will NEVER win a Super Bowl. When he gets up against the elite coaches in the league he continually and routinely gets out-coached.

barnaby
01-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Andy's problem was very simple ... he was stubborn. Stubborn as a mule. Things worked great for him when his plan worked out and the other team did what he expected them to do. But he was a HORRIBLE in game coach. He can't adjust for anything. He's a plodder. He just muddles along and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't.

He'll coach somewhere else but he will NEVER win a Super Bowl. When he gets up against the elite coaches in the league he continually and routinely gets out-coached.
Another problem Reid had was his draft picks. Not necessarily his early round picks, but his picks in later rounds. He had trouble in picking up depth guys, and that affected them when players got them when players got hurt. He didn't draft capable backups.

Ian
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Another problem Reid had was his draft picks. Not necessarily his early round picks, but his picks in later rounds. He had trouble in picking up depth guys, and that affected them when players got them when players got hurt. He didn't draft capable backups.His first rounders were no great shakes either. In fact, some of his high round busts were the root cause of why they had to go out and sign all these free agents who ultimately brought the team down.

This last draft (which apparently was lead by Roseman and not Reid) is the first in a looooooooooooooooong time where their top round guys look like they'll pan out.

But check out some of these losers from the five drafts before:

1st Round - OL Danny Watkins (lost his starting job and doesn't appear to want to play in the NFL all that much)

2nd Round - DB Jaiquawn Jarrett (out of the NFL)

3rd Round - DB Curtis Marsh (can't crack the starting lineup)

1st Round - DL Brandon Graham (it's taken two years but he might actually be able to play although it would be wrong not to point out that they passed on perennial Pro Bowler Jason Pierre Paul to pick Graham)

2nd Round - DB Nate Allen (in and out of starting lineup but not contributing in any meaningful way)

3rd Round - DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim (cut from the team)

1st Round - WR Jeremy Maclin (solid contributor)

2nd Round - RB LeSean McCoy (Pro Bowler)

3rd Round - No 3rd round pick

1st Round - Traded out of 1st round

2nd Round - DT Trevor Laws (no longer with team and never contributed in a meaningful way)

2nd Round - WR DeSean Jackson (Pro Bowler)

3rd Round - LB Bryan Smith (waived after one season)

1st Round - Traded out of 1st round

2nd Round - QB Kevin Kolb (never contributed in a meaningful way but did garner a 2nd round pick when he was traded away)

2nd Round - DE Victor Abiamiri (no longer with team and never contributed in any meaningful way)

3rd Round - LB Stewart Bradley (was a solid contributor for a few seasons before they let him walk)

3rd Round - RB Tony Hunt (released in '08 after a forgettable first season and currently plays in the Austrian Football League lol)

So out of 15 total selections only six of them ever even contributed (and that counts Kolb who's only contribution was basically an under-performing cornerback in DRC). Only two of them are Pro Bowlers.

I don't have all the stats in front of me, but I've got to believe that successful organizations get more than a 13% hit rate on Pro Bowlers out of their top three draft choices.

bruin1344
01-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Best of luck to Reid on the KC job. What a mess that franchise is although he took over an awful Eagles team back in the 1990s and turned them around.

Im surprised the Jets stuck around with Ryan. He is such a joke.

barnaby
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
His first rounders were no great shakes either. In fact, some of his high round busts were the root cause of why they had to go out and sign all these free agents who ultimately brought the team down.

So out of 15 total selections only six of them ever even contributed (and that counts Kolb who's only contribution was basically an under-performing cornerback in DRC). Only two of them are Pro Bowlers.

I don't have all the stats in front of me, but I've got to believe that successful organizations get more than a 13% hit rate on Pro Bowlers out of their top three draft choices.

In my opinion, the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest for the most part. I wouldn't necessarily use to evaluate drafts.
With that said, the early rounds aren't necessarily about drafting Pro Bowlers, but about getting solid starters who contribute year in, year out.
I don't think Reid was great in the early rounds either, probably 50-50 with solid picks.
Not sure what most GMs record is with early draft picks. They are probably the toughest, lots of swings and misses - Jemarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf types.

I don't think Reid was any better then average in evaluating talent, whether it be draft picks or FA signings. But like I said in my OP, his biggest weakness was mid to late rounds. I haven't looked it up, but those picks for Reid where guys who did nothing and weren't in the NFL long. And that kills teams because of the lack of depth, and even getting some starters in the late rounds. I can't recall Reid ever getting starters of his mid to late round picks.