PDA

View Full Version : staying off site

polarbear72834
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Stayed at Pop last time we were at DW and it was amazing. Going to DW in Feb. and no matter how many times I do the math, it comes out cheaper to stay off site. What am I missing ? We need to go as cheap as possible this year, money is tight. By the time I figure in motel, eats and tickets staying off site vs staying on site with food plan and tickets, staying off site is cheaper. Am I missing something in my figuring ? I'm wanting a reason to go back to Pop for this trip ! lol It was amazing staying on site !

DVC2004
12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Would you be renting a car or are your figuring you will be close to walk to a place to eat (offsite)? Also, getting from aiport to hotel (if you are flying in)?

I don't know, I haven't seen too many offsite places that come up alot cheaper than the Disney Values to have it make sense for me, plus the free Magical Express. You will still need transportation to Disney and some motels/hotels do have shuttles.

You don't have to book a meal plan with your Disney stay. You can book a room and tickets package and buy your own meals. I think depending on what/how often you eat out that is often cheaper than the meal plan.

Strmchsr
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Agreed above - take a room only discount for at Pop, don't get the dining plan and you can save a LOT of money eating by paying OOP, sharing meals and desserts, etc. Also, staying off-site you have to figure in parking costs at the parks each day plus your rental car. When money is really tight for us one way we save is by having pop tarts in the room for breakfast and even bringing PB&J sandwiches into the parks (Disney allows you to bring in food). Then we eat at the parks for supper. Saves a ton doing things that way.

When you boil it down, you probably can stay off-site a little cheaper, but you lose a lot in the process. Sometimes paying a little more really is the better deal.

Itchy
12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I agree with the previous posters. I would stay on site it at all possible. I have seen folks waiting for shuttles to their hotels for a long time before one of the busses show up for them.

I would contact Magical Journeys ( an Intercot Sponsor ) and have them do the math for you.

Just tell them what you are looking or and budget and they do all of the hard work, and its free.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Pirate Granny
12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Also, some off site hotel charge for their shuttles, and you have to "book" your seat the night before (west gate).

1DisneyNut
12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
If you are driving and have a car, it is actually cheaper to stay off site and can be quite enjoyable. We did just that our last trip. You can stay in really nice hotels such as Hilton, Embassy Suites, etc, for around the same price as the Values on site. When it comes to really nice hotels, it is far far cheaper to stay off site. Of course there are plenty of cheaper hotels within a couple of miles of WDW if you are trying to save as much as possible. I have seen them as low as $49 per night but those just aren't my cup of tea.

The off site hotels that I mentioned are also much nicer than the Values. The only down side is you have to pay to park at WDW although some or all of that can be avoided if you know what you are doing.

It is not just the price of the hotel that will save you money. You can save a ton on dining when you stay off site.

Some perks to staying off site are: Free breakfast in the mornings (Embassy Suites and many others), Free cocktails in the evening, really nice restaurants within walking distance that are actually reasonably priced, cheap places to eat if you want them, most of the time we drive into the parks and are actually in the park in about half the time the buses usually take when staying onsite.

We really enjoyed staying off site this last trip and will most likely do the same on our next trip.

Altair
12-26-2012, 04:33 PM
1DisneyNut pretty much covers it. If you don't require the 100% Disney experience, it's the way to go to save money. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
We've stayed off-site, and it was just fine. We still loved the trip and still had a amazing time at Disney.

But, we stay on-site now, as we prefer the closeness and the ease that it adds to the trip. But, it does cost a bit more (you can usually find a "nicer" hotel at a lower price outside of the world) to stay on site.

So, if you want to be onsite, then you can do it as cheaply as possible. As PP's have said, bring food for the room (we always bring breakfast and snacks) and dig around (or use MJ) for a deal. Having to rent a car off-site (and I really would recommend renting a car) can add up, so the onsite price (can be car-free) is even more reasonable.

But, if you end-up off site, the trip will still be great!

spinnerf
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Make sure you factor in the daily Disney Parking fee you will have to pay. I think it $14 or $15 these days. Also check if your off site resort charges a "resort fee". That's a sneaky way to add more $ and frequently not included with quoted rates and you have to pay it.

NJGIRL
12-26-2012, 10:55 PM
We stay off site almost every trip (timeshare) and we like it better. More room for us as a family. It is cheaper than the Disney hotels, which IMO are nice but very much overpriced. We don't care for the bus system either and rent a car so we can get to the parks much quicker than the Disney buses.

We stayed at the Coronado in October and liked it, but it cost so much money and we were in a small room. We are at the parks all day and night long and don't need to sleep there too.

***Just one note....if just one in your party has an annual pass parking is free...even if you are not staying in a Disney hotel.

Just love the Embassey Suites chain...I have never stayed at the one in Orlando but have stayed in Philly, MA, Canada & Utah and they have all been nice. Nice size bedroom, living room, microwave & frig. Excellent alternative.

spinnerf
12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
***Just one note....if just one in your party has an annual pass parking is free...even if you are not staying in a Disney hotel.

Not to mention at least a 10% discount on merchandise, the option to buy Tables in Wonderland (which IMO beats any DDP), and usually a decent room only discount. Big fan of AP if it works for you.

MargaretMessler
12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Another way to save staying on site, if you are a Disney Visa card holder, check often for newly released discounts. A friend just saved $700 on her family vacation, and was able to upgrade from a value to moderate on top of that.

polarbear72834
12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes we will be driving from Arkansas, so will have a car. Will call and check what the Disney Visa will do. May get a better deal. Last time my daughters and me went in May we ended up getting free dining after calling. Will give that a try. Thank you all for the help.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Have Magical Journeys check for you. They'll also keep an eye out in case a better deal comes up and will automatically apply it to your ressie.