PDA

View Full Version : Cruise on Points/Kids Sail Free

Trev&Ev Mom
12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Just saw that kids sail free from Miami on certain cruises. We are sailing mid Feb. My reservation is on points, my husband is full fare and I paid for each of my kids. We made this reservation way before they announced this offer. Does it apply to us as I am on points or can I get a credit for my kids fare??? Any info would be helpful!

DVC2004
12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I would call Member Services and ask. Normally to get an offer that comes out later, you have to cancel and rebook the reservation, which they can do for you. My guess- and this is only a guess- is that at least one child would be free because you paid cash for your husband.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

Trev&Ev Mom
12-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I called DVC today and sadly, no, I cannot get the offer. DVC does not participate in the same offers that Disney offers cash visitors. We would have to cancel and rebook as cash to take advantage of the offer, which would be fine, but the points would have to be used before our use year ends (which is June). I don't think we'll be going on another cruise in 3 months!

It was worth asking, I guess. I wish they were a bit more flexible and like you suggested, one kid could be free. Especially since using my points for a cruise is actually like paying more than a cash customer!!

DVC2004
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Oh that's too bad! :(

I agree with you. I've found over the years, it's better to use our points on the DVC properties and pay cash for the cruise. We lost a huge chunk of points on an Alaska Cruise we had to cancel, and it was very disappointing. I have paid cash ever since. We've done the cruise 3 times now, all cash. I think the points we lost on that deal added up to about 3 vacations worth.

You would think being a member and having made an investment and commitment to a life time of Disney Vacations, we'd be able to get some perks too. I mean, you paid cash for 3 people. And you are right, it's like paying more than cash when you use points.

Well, I wish you a fun cruise. They do have deals on board to book the next one at a good discount (cash of course) so something to think about if you plan on cruising again.

Trev&Ev Mom
12-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks! We're looking forward to it. And yes, I be looking to take advantage of the return sailing offer. And no, I won't use our points anymore for anything off property.

DizneyRox
12-28-2012, 06:10 AM
And no, I won't use our points anymore for anything off property.
As you found out DVC Point for anything outside of DVC properties isnt a very good use of points. I suspected that you would hit resistance.

A DVC room appears to be pulled out of a different pool of rooms much like DVC cash rooms at resorts. Kids Sail Free was probably a group of rooms that were used to fill a ship. Two different offers and with Disney, offers cannot be combined.

I called member services once to look into a cash reservation and the general public discounts were much better than what DVC could do for me, same resort, same accommodations.