PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Rumors

DizneyFreak2002
12-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Christmas came early in the rumor mill... Some very interesting rumors for sure...

Where to begin, where to begin...

Do you all wanna know a name for the possible replacement for Meg Crofton who is expected to leave her post early in 2013? How about WDW's plan for EMH? How about the future of One Disney? How about the lifespan of Fantasmic?

Who wants a Christmas gift on Christmas Eve? :)

I'll start with one that is of important to me... Probably my favorite ride in WDW, Splash Mountain... Oh, with this one I am calling on Cast Members (whether you are a Splash Mountain CM or not) to help me out with this as I couldn't verify part of this...

Supposedly, and I stress supposedly, management told Splash Mountain CMs that the tarps that were put up over the open section of the load area of the queue were added for CM benefit... They were apparently told there has been a number of complaints from CMs that the area is way too hot and uncomfortable to work... So, to appease the CMs, the tarps were added... This came from a Splash Mountain CM...

Now, I will say management would lie to CMs because they obviously don't want the CMs to tell the general public the real reason the tarps were added... But, since I do not know any Splash Mountain CMs, I couldn't verify... My friend who has told me a lot of bizarre stories and rumors couldn't confirm since she didn't know (oh and this friend is not the source of any of these rumors I posted in my original post, I don't believe 99.9% of anything she tells me LOL)... I cannot dismiss this being said, but I may dismiss the reason...

It is true cement from the Splash Mountain facade fell into the loading area... And it just so happens the tarps went up the same night... Coincidence? And to top that off, the ride has been in operation what, 20 years or so? And now the management team is concerned about the working conditions in that area regarding the heat? I don't know if I believe that...

However, this CM has said that her co-CMs have told their managers how much they love the area being covered... That the area is actually cooler now without prolonged exposure to the sun... Plus, they are no longer exposed to the Florida weather... So, could the facade being damaged actually turn into something good for the CMs?

Which brings me to this: during the refurb next year, they will be looking into what causes the cement to break away from the building... They will look for weakness in the structure and take care of any issue that may arise... Also, since coming off EMH (which I know a lot of us didn't like) the ride has been getting much needed maintenance... So much so that, from people who have been on it recently (and yes, verifiable proof with pictures and videos) the ride is looking as good as it has in years... AAs are working, show scenes getting back up to show ready status... I love hearing this since I love Splash Mountain...

Also, since the CM have supposedly alerted management to their loving the covered area or maybe since they had a safety issue with falling cement, ideas are being tossed or were tossed around about officially covering that area... And possibly doing it during the upcoming 3 month refurb... Now since I cannot confirm any of those talks between CM and management actually took place, I'm leaving this as rumor... Hopefully a CM can come along and verify the above did or did not happen... And if such plans were discussed, as we know, plans change hour by hour in the theme park industry... Just because they may have discussed it, doesn't mean it will happen... We'll have to see...

If they did cover it, the ride would not be changed... And honestly, I don't think covering that area would take anything away from the queue... Unless of course they went cheap and only did a bare minimum ceiling with way too exposed lighting structures...

More later regarding my original post... Gotta head out to get some things for Christmas Eve tonight...

OK want another juicy rumor?

Fantasmic is rumored not to be part of any future DHS plans... They don't want to work too much on fixing the problems because the show may not last all that much longer.. No rumored timeframe to close down Fantasmic or what will replace it if and when it goes away... But, seeing that they barely even decided to try to get the lift that brings Mickey to the top of the mountain working, well, I can sort of believe this one...

***cue the World of Color rumors LOL...

OK, you all seem to want more, so, why should I deny you :)

Remember One Disney? Yea, FAILED!!!!! There is no one Disney and the park management knows it... TDA operates differently (and more efficiently, and well with more care and love of the theme parks) than TDO... While TDA adds and pluses, TDO cuts and jacks prices... One Disney has been a failure... So, One Disney may be going the way of the dodo... Which is a good thing... Not so much for the dodo though...

So, you all like to stay on Disney property, at Disney hotels, and love the perks that come with that right? One of those perks EMH is well received with guests... Well, earlier this year TDO decided to cut an hour off the evening EMH from 3 hours to 2 hours...

That was only the start... There has been talk that EMH are going to be eliminated altogether... Why? Well, cuts operational costs (hey gotta boost the bottom line some how, sure isn't being boosted by guest spending)... Gotta jack those resort prices for all those wonderful perks you get... And hey, they need to make up the money for the waste of spending that NextGen is...

No, FP+ more than likely WON'T be free... There will be massive hidden charges as well as trying to sucker unsuspecting guests into upgrading to a more pricey, and I mean soon to be MUCH more pricey deluxe resort just to be able to participate in FP+... At least to get the full FP+ experience anyway... Some rumors have even gone around that in order to use FP+ while staying in Moderate or Value resorts, you'll have to pay for it... Either way, Disney is reaching into your pockets for something that has been (or given the appearance of) being free...

Basically, if the plans goes as has been described recently the hotel prices will be going up while the perks will be going away... Then, they will not allow off site guests to participate in FP+ (no, sorry no word on if the regular FP will be staying or going, assume going) and tell them in order to participate you need to stay on property, in one of our overly expensive hotel rooms (even though you can get much nicer accommodations off property for more than half the cost).. Ah, TDO, gotta love them...

***I'm saving the Meg Crofton replacement til last.. and a little later :)

I promised you all Christmas gifts, and I'm almost done... I said I was leaving Meg Crofton's potential replacement for last, and I am...

So, let's see, what have I left out... Hmmm, how about a new waterfront restaurant in World Showcase for Morocco? Or TDO toying with the idea of TWO food and wine festivals (not sure how they will do this, maybe incorporate more food and wine into Flower and Garden? Think of this year's Flower and Garden as a test run....)

How about AP holders getting more and more of a shaft in favor of the once in a life time/every five year visitor? It is possible and actually happening as we speak...

Ok, now on to the juicy part... During the Fantasyland opening events, a certain individual was seen leading the Governor of Florida around the park and maybe even the resort... No one ever picked up on it, maybe because no one on the east coast knows the guy.. but he is much loved to the Disneyland fans... What's weird about this man leading the tours of the truly important people is he isn't a TDO member yet... Why didn't Meg lead him around? Or, you know, the VP of the park, Phhil Holmes? Maybe because they will both be moving on to "spend more time with their families" in the near future? In Meg's case, that is true, and she will be leaving but more for personal reasons than anything else... Phil, on the other hand, may be swept away in the changing of the guard in Orlando... So, why did a TDA member be given the honor of guiding the important people around?

Maybe because that person is the one taking over for Meg... His name you ask? George Kalogridis... He is the current President of the Disneyland Resort... A man who LOVES the theme parks, is always seen in them, and never passes up a moment for a meet and greet of his own with fans... He is a man, as my understanding and from what was explained, who fights for every dollar of the budget for the resort he is leading... However, he is also someone who has taken advantage of being in the right place at the right time...

I can't help but think that, if this is true, this may very well be a good thing for WDW... Hopefully he can bring TDA's vision and management style to Orlando, though I am afraid the current regime has their poor management style to imbedded into WDW that it will be nearly impossible to change things... But, we shall see...

So, there you have it... Merry Christmas everyone!

taleasoldastime
12-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I wanna know!!!!!!:D

tadshome
12-24-2012, 05:01 AM
I would like to know :)

VWL Mom
12-24-2012, 06:59 AM
:spy: Ok, spill it!

TinkerbellT421
12-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Hm, I know, I know ;) hehe

tadshome
12-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Is the rumour about extra magic hours being reduced to only two hours true? I hope not :cry:

TinkerbellT421
12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Is the rumour about extra magic hours being reduced to only two hours true? I hope not :cry:

Not rumor, true, and already started.

tadshome
12-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Not rumor, true, and already started.

:crying::sad::crying::sad::crying::sad::crying:

DizneyRox
12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Don't be a Grinch, do tell...

Roger's #1 Fan
12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Would love a good Christmas eve rumor gift.

:secret:

readytogo2
12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
hopefully the get slpash mountain back in shape it is by far my favorite ride

Roger's #1 Fan
12-24-2012, 01:17 PM
But they are spending all that cash on the bench expansion!! :rolleyes

I'll be able to confirm the Splash work personally since I was there this August and will be returning in July :mickey:

More please! :blush:

Mrs Bus Driver
12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
If they go with world of color then adding the benches and not fixing fantasmic makes since. :mickey:

DizneyRox
12-24-2012, 03:02 PM
And what about charging for EMH?

1DisneyNut
12-24-2012, 05:01 PM
The corporate machine is going to end up ruining WDW if something doesn't change. They obviously can't see that the reason we have cut our spending in the parks and reduced the frequency of visits is because of the diminished value being received. The more they take away and at the same time raise pricing, the more creative I get at beating them out of a dollar and I have been doing pretty good at it lately.

I can understand prices have to increase due to inflation but pricing at WDW has been far and I mean far outpacing inflation the last 7-8 years or so.

DizneyFreak2002
12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
The corporate machine is going to end up ruining WDW if something doesn't change. They obviously can't see that the reason we have cut our spending in the parks and reduced the frequency of visits is because of the diminished value being received. The more they take away and at the same time raise pricing, the more creative I get at beating them out of a dollar and I have been doing pretty good at it lately.

I can understand prices have to increase due to inflation but pricing at WDW has been far and I mean far outpacing inflation the last 7-8 years or so.

Ego... plain and simple... ego... They felt no one would ever beat them in Orlando.. No one would ever catch up and surpass them... Well, it has happened... And they have no response... They rested too long on their laurels... It is now coming back to bite them in the backside... Universal is passing Disney where Disney once was king.... And as much as hard core Disney fans want to deny it, doesn't change the fact that it is true...

Where Disney used to innovate in WDW, they no longer do... Universal owns the two top innovative attractions in Orlando (yes, passing ToT, sorry Disney fans)... And now SeaWorld is taking a trackless system, and building a whole new penguin attraction based on the system Disney uses in Japan... But, SeaWorld is adding the EMV vehicles to the attraction so this should be spectacular... And let us not forget Potter 2.0 will be pushing the limits again, and will be topping Spiderman and Forbidden Journey, which means Potter 2.0 will blow away anything added to WDW in the last 20 years (Spiderman blows away anything added in WDW in the last 20 years)...

I've said this 1000 times, TDO's management style of cut, cut cut to increase profits will be the destruction of WDW... Thankfully, the people who have brought us this culture won't be in management positions that much longer... problem is, the culture is so embedded in the way WDW is run that it may already be too late to change it...

***You'll all still have to wait for Meg's possible replacement... It isn't Christmas yet and I'm not THAT generous LOL...

Ian
12-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Thankfully, the people who have brought us this culture won't be in management positions that much longer... problem is, the culture is so embedded in the way WDW is run that it may already be too late to change it...I wouldn't worry too much about that. 10-15 years ago everyone was lamenting the same thing about Disneyland and once they kicked out Pressler they had that park turned around in no time.

DizneyFreak2002
12-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about that. 10-15 years ago everyone was lamenting the same thing about Disneyland and once they kicked out Pressler they had that park turned around in no time.

That's why I am cautiously optimistic about George K. taking over for Meg... Hopefully he can bring TDA's management attitude over to WDW and really shake things up... They need it...

ChipNDale79
12-26-2012, 08:10 AM
So, you all like to stay on Disney property, at Disney hotels, and love the perks that come with that right? One of those perks EMH is well received with guests... Well, earlier this year TDO decided to cut an hour off the evening EMH from 3 hours to 2 hours...

That was only the start... There has been talk that EMH are going to be eliminated altogether... Why? Well, cuts operational costs (hey gotta boost the bottom line some how, sure isn't being boosted by guest spending)... Gotta jack those resort prices for all those wonderful perks you get... And hey, they need to make up the money for the waste of spending that NextGen is...

No, FP+ more than likely WON'T be free... There will be massive hidden charges as well as trying to sucker unsuspecting guests into upgrading to a more pricey, and I mean soon to be MUCH more pricey deluxe resort just to be able to participate in FP+... At least to get the full FP+ experience anyway... Some rumors have even gone around that in order to use FP+ while staying in Moderate or Value resorts, you'll have to pay for it... Either way, Disney is reaching into your pockets for something that has been (or given the appearance of) being free...

Basically, if the plans goes as has been described recently the hotel prices will be going up while the perks will be going away... Then, they will not allow off site guests to participate in FP+ (no, sorry no word on if the regular FP will be staying or going, assume going) and tell them in order to participate you need to stay on property, in one of our overly expensive hotel rooms (even though you can get much nicer accommodations off property for more than half the cost).. Ah, TDO, gotta love them...

***I'm saving the Meg Crofton replacement til last.. and a little later :)

So if attendance numbers are flat, how does TDO expect this to grow attendance. If this is true, I see a dark period for WDW in our future.

BrerGnat
12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I have heard that the REGULAR Fast Pass system will be remaining and will still function as usual.

FP+ will be an upcharge as an optional "add on", in my opinion. I've long felt that there is NO WAY they could just give away FP+ after all the investment they made into it. They will find a way to charge for it, and to be honest, I don't blame them. It is not replacing the free FP, which will still exist. It is an enhanced version for people willing to pony up extra $$$ (which, frankly, I'm all for).

George K. would be an excellent replacement for Meg Crofton. He has done wonderful things at DLR. However, who will replace him over at Disneyland? :(

DizneyRox
12-26-2012, 10:40 AM
So if attendance numbers are flat, how does TDO expect this to grow attendance. If this is true, I see a dark period for WDW in our future.
I'm not so sure growing attendence is the plan. Optimizing profits is. The more people that come through the turnstyle the more staff they need, the more maintenance is required, etc. If you can get the same amount of revenue (or more) from less customers, it's actually more profit since you should have lower administrative costs.

The key is revenue...

Ian
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not so sure growing attendence is the plan. Optimizing profits is. The more people that come through the turnstyle the more staff they need, the more maintenance is required, etc. If you can get the same amount of revenue (or more) from less customers, it's actually more profit since you should have lower administrative costs.Yep. I actually almost feel like I wouldn't mind if they went this route. The parks have become SO crowded lately that it's almost unmanageable anymore to deal with.

I think it's due in no small part to all the discounts they've had for the past five years or so. I wouldn't really mind if they pushed the price point up to a place where it kept crowds down a bit more.

DizneyFreak2002
12-26-2012, 11:23 AM

The hotel occupancy numbers are down... They like to have the rate around 88% capacity, and usually pull in 90% or sometimes (esp during the busy seasons, it's 100%)... The last year or two, the hotel occupancy rate has been down... Some resorts on property only pulling 60%, some 78% (which isn't where they want to be)... I'm sure there are many factors: price, the current economy, and people realizing you can get sometimes much nicer rooms for less, staying at 5 star hotels for the price (or sometimes cheaper) than a Disney value resort... DME ridership is down also... To me, that is very telling...

I have to run out for a bit, but when I come back I'll post my opinions about the theme park attendance numbers... I'm somewhat agreeing with Ian here, that the theme park attendance really doesn't need to grow, though that can be debated (MK being the exception)....

AgentC
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Yep. I actually almost feel like I wouldn't mind if they went this route. The parks have become SO crowded lately that it's almost unmanageable anymore to deal with.

I think it's due in no small part to all the discounts they've had for the past five years or so. I wouldn't really mind if they pushed the price point up to a place where it kept crowds down a bit more.

I am with you on this, Ian. I don't think their is a big need for attendance to continue to go. Four years ago, the off season was always quiet. Now it is hard to find an offseason. As an admittedly self interested local, the last thing I want to see is higher attendance.

Melanie
12-26-2012, 11:47 AM
I am with you on this, Ian. I don't think their is a big need for attendance to continue to go. Four years ago, the off season was always quiet. Now it is hard to find an offseason. As an admittedly self interested local, the last thing I want to see is higher attendance.

I understand this perfectly, Cindy. Ah, but will it keep the foreign groups to a minimum and get the 'offseason' back? I just don't think so, at least not while our economy is in the tank. :unsure:

AgentC
12-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I understand this perfectly, Cindy. Ah, but will it keep the foreign groups to a minimum and get the 'offseason' back? I just don't think so, at least not while our economy is in the tank. :unsure:

I think the off season as we knew it is probably gone forever. :(

DizneyRox
12-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes, there should really be no off-season either. If you can maintain consistent staff levels, it's better for everyone. Seasonal help is usually worse than "full timers". To squeeze every cent out of profits, their staffing levels in the past have fluctuated wildly. Consistent attendance he
Psnthe restaurants, retail, maintenance, etc...

Good for people like me who have no choice but to go during peak times. Peak times have noticeably less crowds than they used to. Can't speak to off-peak, but all reports point to larger than previous years.

This is by design, not by accident...