PDA

View Full Version : A very Disney honeymoon Day 1

Dulcee
12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Monday Dec 10

Today was finally the day we had been waiting for. After (oops!) sleeping through our first alarm we were up by 4:45, hustled to get ready and left for Newark airport. DH's father dropped us off.

We were flying Jetblue so we checked our bags (DH's made it with only 0.5 lbs to spare) and headed to security. For a monday morning we made it through quickly and without hassle. Found our gate, DH grabbed breakfast, I struggled through a coke to settle my nervous stomach and we waited.

Despite a misty, rainy morning we took off only a few minutes behind schedule. Even for me as a nervous flyer it was a pretty gorgeous site when we broke through the clouds and it was sunny and beautiful. The flight was smooth and uneventful and we landed by 11 or so. Orlando was warm, a bit overcast but after the yucky weather in NJ I was thrilled.

We got our car (Advantage, highly recommend it) and loaded up our luggage. We were off! We were starving so we grabbed a quick drive through lunch. At this point I realized I had forgotten quarters for tolls so we had to take a non toll route. No big deal, I plugged in the address for walmart to our phone and we started off. Unfortunately the trip to walmart turned into a bit of an ordeal with us getting lost, having to find a new one etc, etc. I was beginning to regret not just using garden grocer.

Finally by 1 or so we were off to Port Orleans. This drive went much smoother. We headed over to the online check in line and within 10 minutes had our room. Despite our bride and groom mouse ears and my bride shirt we didn't even get a congratulations from the women checking us in which bugged me a bit but I was too excited to finally be there to care much.

We were in building 1 and were pleasantly surprised with a corner room, two windows and a nice view of the canal. DH would have been happy with a nap but I was bouncing. We unpacked and he gave in to heading over to the MK.

We took the car, this was the first time DH had ever driven in WDW. We always had a car as a kid so I knew my way around fairly well and quickly explained the parking pass to DH as he went into shock over the parking prices. We parked, hopped on the tram, then the monorail and by 3 we're in the Magic Kingdom.

This was our very first holiday trip and the Christmas decorations were awesome! I would have loved to have spent more time that first day looking at the ones on main street but we walked in with the parade starting. So we skirted around them and headed back to Pirates. 5 minute walk on. The blackbeard face wasn't working but the mermaids were up and running and pretty cool.

Next we grabbed a fast pass for Big Thunder Mountain and then popped over to Splash Mountain. While waiting in line here the women behind us proceeded to ask us why two adults would ever spend their honeymoon here. It was an awkward conversation since we obviously choose to.

After splash the cold that had been brewing in DH was beginning to kick up. We grabbed a dole whip to help his sore throat then got on Haunted Mansion. We went through the cemetery and I though it was fun. The line moved quick and we enjoyed the interactive things.

After it was time for our Thunder Mountain fastpasses. We used them then headed into Fantasyland. Grabbed fastpasses for Pooh which came with a surprised fastpass for Dumbo. Walked right on to Mickey's Philharmagic (one of DH's favorites). We had some time after before our fastpasses were good and decided to explore new fantasyland.

Wow, its pretty gorgeous. Though the crane working on the new roller coaster did take away from it a bit. Once all finished it should be amazing. By this time we were both dragging. The original plan was to head right to Ohana's for dinner at 8:20 but we were both exhausted. We decided to hand off both sets of a fastpasses to a couple with a young child in a wheelchair. The women actually hugged me after giving them to her! They had spent the morning dealing with a medical issue and had gotten into the park far, far later they expected. Being it was their only day in MK they were all upset. After chatting we were both feeling really fantastic about making a child's day a little more magical.

We headed out to the car and back to the resort. We took some time to clean up and shower then headed back to the Poly. We we're a bit early so we checked in and grabbed a very nice table next to the window by the lounge. A drink or two later and we both felt quite a bit better.

We were seated on time but our waiter seemed rushed and inattentive. The food was ok, as usual. DH enjoys the experience here more then anything and being close to the area where the kids were playing games was amusing. The one highlight of this meal were the shrimp. They were actually cooked perfectly and we both really enjoyed them quite a bit.

Despite some mishaps early in the day it was really a great kick off to vacation.

SBETigg
12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Great day!

My sister is trying to explain to her BF, who hasn't been to WDW since he was a kid, why it's great for adults. I don't understand what's not to get. Yes, there are theme parks. But, there are also restaurants, bars, clubs, pools, entertainment, recreation options, themed resorts, "beaches," shopping, a whole World Showcase-- all of the things adult people enjoy. And I also enjoy the parks. Why not WDW for a honeymoon? It's one of the top honeymoon destinations in the country (for a while, it was #1, not sure now but it's top ten), so obviously lots of people do get it. But those few... they frustrate me. And to be there and still wonder? She must be missing lots of great adult fun.

faline
12-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Hope that cold doesn't interfere with your trip! Terrific first day even if you had some frustrating moments while getting your shopping done!!

Dopey's Girl
12-21-2012, 09:24 PM
How fun to have made another guests day with your fastpasses!

princessgirls
12-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Great first day!!!

Congratulations again!

Thanks for reporting!!!

Julie:mickey:

January-2007
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for reporting.

DisneyDawgette
01-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Monday Dec 10

While waiting in line here the women behind us proceeded to ask us why two adults would ever spend their honeymoon here. It was an awkward conversation since we obviously choose to.

Ha, and did you respond with why grumpy adults would ever choose to ruin other people's fun with their snobbery? You were much nicer than I think I would have been. Good job! :thumbsup:

DBF and I have already discussed that Disney is our honeymoon destination. After a few of the children we took this past summer essentially told him he had to take me, his response was that it was already the plan anyways so they could stop harassing him... :mickey:
It's so charming, and DBF and I love the magic! I think you made a fantastic decision, though I'm obviously a little bias! ;)

BigRedDad
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Very fun start to the Honeymoon. It seemed to go much smoother for you than ours. I don't think he wanted to stay in the room for a nap though.

For that woman asking why to Honeymoon in Disney, the simple answer is that it is fun, there is a lot to do, and why not spend one of the happiest times in your life in the happiest place in the world?

I know the exhausting part, especially after all the hustle and bustle of the wedding, reception, and everything else. Its exhausting. We got stuck in the 9/11 issues and it was a pain. Everyone in hotel management, airlines, and Disney were accommodating to the issues of that time.

Tigerinvestigator
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a pretty good start. My wife and I honeymooned at Walt Disney World in 1995 and we still remember all of the details. I even remember the name of the young lady who checked us into the Contemporary and sent us chocolate covered strawberries, a bride/Groom Minney and Mickey, and a bottle of champagne....Trudy if you are out there reading this you made our trip. What better place on earth to spend a honeymoon?:thumbsup:

vizsla
01-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DizNee143
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a pretty good first day of your honeymoon.
Apparently those people just don't get disney! We split up our honeymoon..we did a cruise to the Bahamas and the other half at Disney!! :mickey: