PDA

View Full Version : New runDisney Disneyland 10K Just Announced

Melanie
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
runDisney just announced via their Facebook page and YouTube that there will be an addition to the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend for 2013 (August 30-September 1).

The announcement reads:

runDisney requests you join us for a very merry un-birthday 'ten k' party in a wonderful land, Disneyland Resort, on August the thirty-first of two thousand and thirteen.

Don't be late for this very important date, registration opens on January the twenty-second of two-thousand and thirteen.

Here is the YouTube video. (http://bit.ly/XKKLXF)

So essentially, it sounds to me like they are putting what's equivalent to WDW's Goofy Challenge on the west coast. No details out yet, but I wonder if there will be a special medal if you run both? :gmedal::thumbsup:

Oh, and a tidbit on the registration date. It's been established that those running the WDW Marathon events will have first/early signups for the Disneyland Half Weekend at the Expo in January. I would think this race would be included as well. :fingers:

ETA: I'm seeing now that they are indeed calling it the Dumbo Challenge if you do both the 10K and the Half Marathon, and there will be a special medal.

cer
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow! So cool. :thumbsup:

Melanie
12-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Here is the official press release:

NEW 10K RACE ADDED TO DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON WEEKEND

Runners Can Double Their Effort With Dumbo Double Dare;
Race Registration Opens Next Month

:dumbo::walk::dumbo::walk::dumbo:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla (Dec. 19, 2012) – The Happiest Race on Earth is getting a little happier starting next year. The Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend is expanding to include the Disneyland 10K at Disneyland Resort in California, Aug. 30 – Sept. 1, 2013.

The new 10K race, the latest in the popular runDisney series, will be a timed event and will take runners through Disneyland, Disney California Adventure and the streets of Anaheim. Each finisher will receive a specially designed commemorative finisher medal. Runners looking for an extra challenge can register for the Dumbo Double Dare, which involves running the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday (19.3 miles total). The limited number of participants who sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare will receive a Dumbo Double Dare running shirt and a special finisher medal, in addition to the Disneyland Half Marathon and 10K finisher medals.

The Disneyland 10K builds on the weekend of races and entertainment geared toward families and runners of all levels. In addition to the 10K, the weekend of events include the Kids Races, the Family Fun Run 5K, the Half Marathon and a two-day Health and Fitness Expo where guests can check out the latest in fitness apparel, running gear and high tech gadgets, plus learn from speakers such as runDisney training consultant Jeff Galloway, runDisney nutrition consultant Tara Gidus and former Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton. Runners and guests can add to their race weekend experience by purchasing tickets to a Pasta in the Park Party.

“The 10K distance is the third most popular distance for runners next to the 5K and half marathon, so this race weekend will have it all,” said Manager, runDisney Events Kathleen Duran. “We are excited to continue to add different distance races so runners at every level can experience a runDisney event and run through Disney theme parks.”

Registration opens for all Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend races on Jan. 22, 2013. Last year’s half marathon sold out in a little more than a month. For more information about the race weekend and other runDisney events, go to www.rundisney.com.

Disney4us2
12-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Looking foward to it. Aready have our room reserved. Now just have to wait to sign up for our volunteer positions. Last year was so much fun, and can't wait to do it again,

Melanie
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah...we just finalized our plans. My husband was already planning to go by himself and run the Half to get his Coast to Coast medal, but with the announcement today of the Dumbo Challenge/Dumbo Double Dare (whatever they are calling it), I couldn't resist going. I LOVE being there to cheer him on. He's so excited, and I am too! :joy:

Thank goodness he'd already reserved at the Fairfield on S. Harbor. We're all set for our room. Or maybe I'll check PPH with the military discount. Hmmm.....

Christine
12-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I WANT this!!!! Omgosh, what a way to get my coast to coast!!!

BrerGnat
12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Ooooh...I want to do this! I can totally run a 10K. Probably not a half, though. My knees and hips wouldn't go for that.

We were so not planning to travel next year, but I might have to think about this...it's so tempting.

Christine
12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
No way! No WAY! My office gave me a really generous surprise Christmas/performance bonus. I talked with DH about using that bonus to go to DLR so I could do the race!!!! I cannot believe this...he said "sure!"

We're going to use this as our first time to visit DLR for 4 days and then go ...on to Alauni!

NO WAY! I am absolutely speechless!

Dumbo Double Dare = 4 medals! 10K, 1/2, double dare, and coast to coast, as I will have done WDW marathon 1/2 next month AND princess 1/2 in Feb!

I own at Alauni, so I was already able to book that today (ocean view...NO WAY!!) and will absolutely cross my fingers that I can get the Grand Californian at 7 months out!

DH's company wellness program reimburses me for all races I enter, so with that and DVC, we're looking at airfare and food $ ...NO WAY!

My fingers are FLYING as I'm typing this.. as Disney fans, you know how exciting this is but if you had ANY idea how huge of a blessing the opportunity to do this is to me....oh my goodness, all I can say is

NO WAY! :joy::woohoo::yay:

Lacy
12-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Christine - that is super exciting that you are going to do the new 10k and DL Half!!!! And then a trip to Aulani to top it off - totally jealous. The DL Half is my favorite race. I think the course is a lot of fun. And I was already kinda bummed that I'm going to skip next year because we are planning on the Expo just a month earlier. Hopefully they'll keep the Dumbo challenge and I can do it in 2014.

Oh and thanks for the shout out on the podcast :mickey:

Christine
12-24-2012, 01:29 PM
:wave: Lacy!

Well, it was a fun exciting few days, but reality hit and the Alauni part is off for the marathon weekend. And I'm likely going solo, which makes me wonder if it's worth it at all? I would much prefer seeing DLR for the first time with my DH and DD, but I know this is mainly about the run. And it's just not really something I can wait on and say, "maybe another time" because my knees are steadily breaking down and I don't see high mileage/ long distance running happening for much longer. So this calendar year is my shot.

So, If I don't guilt myself out of it, I'll fly down, run, turn around and fly back, and cherish my medals when I'm old and grey (actually I'm already there, but I mean when I stop coloring my hair! :D )

BrerGnat
12-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Aw, sorry your plans came crashing to a halt, Christine. Reality bites.

I really want to do this, but it's just not really feasible for next year. We are trying to buckle down on the travel and frivolous spending so we can start saving up to buy a house in a few years. Hopefully, that house will be back "home" in Orange County, CA, and then I'll be able to run all the Disneyland races I want! :mickey:

You should still do it, even if it's solo. It will be a lot of fun!

Christine
12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
The reality rollercoaster continues! We are ALL going to DLR, aug 28-sept 2!!! No Alauni. We are going to try in 2015.

SO excited! Bought the airline tickets yesterday, cancelled my Alauni Ressie, and will book grand calif at 7 month window. HOPING I'll have no problem!

Great job planning for the house! We are feeling all disciplined by NOT going to Hawaii. Baby steps! Lol

Lacy
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Christine - I'm assuming you registered for the Dumbo Double Dare at the Marathon weekend expo but I wanted to see if you got your spot reserved. I hear that it sold out today the day the Half registration opened.

Wishing I were planning the DL Half this year but look forward to 2014 and will try to get a spot in the Double Dare next year!