PDA

View Full Version : Swan- busy, booked, rude?

angedeaile
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I've never stayed at S&D, but will be. My father decided to surprise the family and book rooms for Sept. 2013. However, he booked the opening weekend of F&W...a time I would like to avoid due to crowds.

I asked him why he picked that weekend, and he said both hotels were booked up the rest of that month. That was the only weekend available. I couldn't believe a year out, they would only have 1 weekend of rooms free.

I called S&D to see if he was mistaken. I dealt with an employee who didn't want to answer my questions, since I already had a room (weird), but eventually said it was true. They were all booked.

So, to those that have booked/stayed with either the Swan or Dolphin- Is this common for them to be booked this far out or am I walking into a particularly nightmarishly busy stay?

Also, please tell me the staff aren't always so short and cold with customers......

faline
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I just went on-line and found availability at the Swan for every weekend in September of 2013. What was not available every weekend was availability under a special rate.

angedeaile
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Ah. Well, that would make sense. I would assume he used points or a code. Thanks for shedding some light on that. :)

angedeaile
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Although, thinking back on the conversation with the S&D rep, I told him I was interested in adding a few days, paying out of pocket, since my dad booked, to the beginning of the stay. That is when he told me they were booked.

Well, I looked up S&D reviews and it seems like a mixed bag. I may not dread it being busy now, but about rudeness. Yuck.

Kenny1113
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
We have stayed at both swan and dolphin and have never encountered rude hotel staff (wait staff at kimonos is a different story). Hopefully you caught an off day. Enjoy your trip!

slottedpig
12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
I've stayed at Swan once and Dolphin twice, all for business meetings but I added a day or 2 to each for park visits. I never had any issues with the staff -- always friendly and helpful if not quite as family oriented as other resorts.

I really like these properties -- great pool, lots of food choices, great location for Epcot, Studios, and Boardwalk. I prefer the Dolphin just because the lobby is much more impressive.

Hope you have a great time.

Awesome_guy
12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
We had an awesome stay two Spring Break's ago at Dolphin. I'd be back in a heartbeat. Many of my posts on Intercot are singing S&D's praises when posters are between S&D and a Moderate (as we were).

Staff were great! Check in was awesome (with our grocery bags being taken with our regular bag after a grocery stop) without any funny looks. Purchases were sent to the Dolphin's store, easy. Easy to make arrangements (for taxis etc.).

Honestly the location can't be beat! We had a great stay. Great transportation ...and an awesome time! =)

tomorrow land fan
12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Stayed at both because I couldn't afford the yacht, beach or boardwalk! That being said they're both great resorts. Prefer dining at the dolphin (shulas especially) but you can't beat the location & rates (compared to other deluxe resorts). I've stayed at all of the deluxe resorts & will put the swan or dolphin up there with many. Never had issues with the staff, wonderful pools, character dining as well. Also great location for some resort hopping (one of my favorite things to do at the world). While i miss the monorail & ferry boats & 7 seas lagoon i actually prefer the epcot resort side. You should enjoy your stay!

angedeaile
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow. Maybe I did catch this person on an off day. I think I am looking forward to it now! Thanks guys for the reassurance :mickey:

WRWDisney
12-19-2012, 06:33 AM
One other thought. Did you actually deal with someone at the property. Most hotels, even if you dial the actual property, transfer you to an offsite call center as soon as you begin discussing reservations. So, the poor customer service you received (still no excuse), might have been from someone not even at the hotel. Just a thought.

Good luck and enjoy the stay. While I have never stayed there, the location is fabulous.

Tigerinvestigator
12-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Let me add my praises of the Swan/Dolphin. We have only stayed at the Swan once and had a nice trip, but have stayed at the Dolphin many times and it is one of our favorite resorts. The location is perfect and we love walking to Epcot (our favorite park)and taking the water taxi to DHS. The view from the higher rooms is among the best at WDW. The staff have always been wonderful and we have experienced alot of magic through them. While many will tell you they don't "feel" like a Disney resort, we couldn't disagree more. They have all of the magic to us, as well as guest relations, disney stores, and characters. We love the pool especially the grotto and waterfall for relaxation. Like others have said, we rank it right up there with the best deluxe resorts at WDW and we have now stayed at all but the Yacht Club. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy your stay at the Swan!:thumbsup: