PDA

View Full Version : We remember bread bowls--any restaurants serve them?

duck51
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Several years ago when we were at Disney World (or was it Disneyland?), we found a restaurant that had clam chowder or stew in bread bowls. We are heading to Disney World in February and wondered if anyone knows of a restaurant at the parks or resorts that still serves bread bowl soups or stews?
Thanks,
Lora,
Ridgefield, WA

VWL Mom
12-18-2012, 06:30 AM
I remember them from the restaurant near PoC in Disneyland, they were wonderful :cloud9:

Unfortunately, I don't remember them being served at WDW.

MadMadamMim
12-18-2012, 08:03 AM
I think they used to be served at Columbia Harbor House but I don't think they are anymore.

TinkerbellT421
12-18-2012, 08:21 AM
They used to serve the Clam Chowder at Columbia Harbor House in MK in bread bowls. But they haven't since 2007. We were there shortly after they stopped serving them :( It was delicious according to DBF and he highly misses it.

Haven't seen any anywhere else since then either :(

BrerGnat
12-18-2012, 08:26 AM
A big reason why these are so readily available at Disneyland is the presence of La Brea Bakery in the parks. They are the ones that provide the sourdough bread bowls at DL property.

There is no good sourdough bread outside of California. ;)

TinkerbellT421
12-18-2012, 08:49 AM
A big reason why these are so readily available at Disneyland is the presence of La Brea Bakery in the parks. They are the ones that provide the sourdough bread bowls at DL property.

There is no good sourdough bread outside of California. ;)

One more reason for DBF and I to seriously consider a DL visit someday....gah! lol

Mickey'sGirl
12-18-2012, 08:56 AM

There is no good sourdough bread outside of California. ;)You ain't kidding! I had the veggie chilli in one of those bowls, and I still dream of it!

Christine
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
AKL's Mara has african stew in a bread bowl

cer
12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
OK, I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that at the exit of the France movie, they have redone that area and are now serving soup, etc in bread bowls....where did I read that? It has to be the bakery, there...

I will see what I can find...

cer
12-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I can't find it, but I want to say it was in a trip report, the writer talked about not having them put the soup in the bread bowl and taking it back to their room....I wish I could find it. :(

PETE FROM NYC
12-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I remember my Grandma having a salad in a breadbowl at Perkins restaurant on 192 back in the mid 80s. I don't recall if it was sourdough or not, but I finished what she could not eat, and it was one of the best pieces of bread I ever had in Fla.

BowTie7
12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Panera Bread (with a location just off property at 8600 Vineland Avenue) has soups in bread bowl. In my opinion they have very good sourdough.

Tigerinvestigator
12-20-2012, 02:28 PM
We used to love the bread bowls at Columbia Harbour House and were sad they stopped serving them. One of my favorite meals is the African Stew in the bread bowl at AKL. Outside Disney parks you can always get potato soup and broccoli cheese soup in bread bowls at McAlister's deli.:thumbsup:

duck51
12-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your posts. We'll look for them in Feb. when we go there.

storrer
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Did you have any luck finding the bread bowls during your visit? We're going to DW for the first time in April (we go to DL yearly) and am dying to eat one :) That and the jambalaya if anyone knows where to go it.

Christine
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
The only one I knew of was the African Stew at Mara. It is no longer. Saw this yesterday.It looks like it's served over rice or couscous now? Couldn't see well.