PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Fee Increases

faline
12-17-2012, 08:58 AM
I heard on the news this morning that Southwest is planning to increase fees for early boarding and for overweight luggage. Additionally, they plan to impose a fee for missed flights if the fight was not canceled ahead of time. As of right now, I'm unable to find any information on what the new fees will be or when, excactly, they will go into effect.

TinkerbellT421
12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
I also saw that story last night on nbc news.

The article said the fees are supposed to start next year but they haven't released the when or how much's just yet either.

Southwest to charge customers who don't show up
By NBCDFW.com
Southwest Airlines customers will soon pay a fee for not canceling a ticket before their flight.
The airline outlined the new policy Friday at an investors' conference in New York.

Right now, Southwest lets passengers who don't use their ticket apply the price toward a new ticket. Southwest says it can reduce no-shows and generate more revenue by adding the cancellation fee on restricted tickets.
Company officials said the new fee will start next year, but they didn't give an exact date or say how much the fee will be.
Southwest also plans to increase fees it already charges, such as for early check-in and overweight bags. Its AirTran Airways subsidiary will raise bag fees in February.

Granny Jill A
12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Can't disagree with fees for no-shows. My job involves handling reservations for dinners and special events. When we buy food and drink for 25 people and only 10 show up, it's a crimp in our budget.

And something HAS to be done about those oversized bags people carry on and try to shove into the overhead.

ginny57
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I heard on the news today they early bird is going up from $10 to $12.50 so not too bad....and I think they said the overweight bag is going up to $100 which is steep but totally avoidable!

White Rose
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
And something HAS to be done about those oversized bags people carry on and try to shove into the overhead.

THIS one. When I flew in January 2012 on Southwest, it was ridiculous how large some of the bags were that people were trying to shove into overhead compartments. And I don't understand it since Southwest doesn't charge baggage fees! My mother got so mad because there wasn't any room for her to put one small, cloth Disney bag up there and the attendant ended up rudely telling my mom to shove it under the seat in front of her.

So crazy. And you know those bags don't fit into those bins they have outside of the terminals!

Granny Jill A
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
So crazy. And you know those bags don't fit into those bins they have outside of the terminals!

Agree!

What good are rules if the airlines don't enforce them? I'm sure they don't want to anger their big ticket business customers.