PDA

View Full Version : Today's horrible tragedy

Zippy 1
12-14-2012, 06:13 PM
My heart goes out to all the families affected by today's tragedy. Those poor little children. I am praying for all those affected. If you have not done so today - hug your child and be ever so grateful for their presence in your life.

vicster
12-14-2012, 07:00 PM
What in the hell is wrong with people? If you're unhappy with yourself or your life why take it out on innocent children?

My daughter's a teacher and it's so sad that they have to have Intruder Alert drills at her school - we use to only have fire drills.

So sad for the parents who lost their children - will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

PirateLover
12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
There are no words. Just unthinkable, and heart breaking. Prayers and love go out to all those affected by this unthinkable tragedy. This quote from Mr. Rogers has been making the rounds and I really like it.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

The Fred Rogers Company website also has some really good advice for talking with children about tragic events.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
12-15-2012, 01:07 PM
It breaks my heart. I left work early yesterday so I could be there when my kids got off the bus. It was all I could do not to take them out of school early. They are in 3rd and kindergarten. They dont know what happened, I am sure it will be leaked soon enough, but they get spooked easily. I jsut want to go up and hug each Mom and Dad. Not that I could possible help them in any. I know no way to lessen their pain. This is terrible. It is here, in my state. Not far away at all. But it doesn;t matter what state it is in, it isnt far away from any of us. I can't tell you how many times I hugged and kissed my kids since yesterday.

Janmac
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
This is like the ripples in the water. The effects of this will be felt in a lot of ways.

Kids do spook easily. After 9/11, and even tho we are in central Missouri, my 10 year old grandson fully expected a plane to crash into his school. It made as much sense to him that a plane would target his school, as the places that were targeted.

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done either for victims' families or kids miles away. Time helps people learn to live within their experiences.

Jan

stephicakes
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I think we are all at a loss... just no words. All we can do is pray for each other, be close to the ones we love, communicate & discuss things in time. Hug your babies close tonight...

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected

A Big Kid
12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Don't forget to include the first responders in your thoughts and prayers.

Imagine how helpless the EMT felt rushing in to save someone, anyone, much less an innocent child.

And the poor investigators collecting evidence among in that completely chaotic crime scene.

I am sure they are ALL forever damaged by the unspeakable sights they were witness to.

lettripp
12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
As a teacher in Connecticut this is hitting very close to home. I have so much respect for the teachers who put themselves in harms way to save their students... and the police who found what were undoubtedly their neighbors and neighbors' children... and am praying for all of the victims' families. It all seems so surreal still.