PDA

View Full Version : Crowds after New Years?

beksy
12-11-2012, 01:28 AM
We are having problems deciding when to go on our next trip. Our first option is in October because we like the weather, low crowds, MNSSHP, etc. Our second option is to go in early November and just see what Christmas decorations would happen to go up (which I know isn't a lot). The third option is to go in time for New Year's Eve but spend the majority of the trip during the week following Jan 1st 1014. The problem is that the 1st isn't going to fall until Wednesday in 2014. How long will the crowds remain crazy? I don't want to have to deal with them for the majority of the trip but a few days is no big deal. We love seeing the Christmas decorations and Mom has been wanting to go back to the CP but we can't go before Christmas next year during the CP running times so its after Christmas or in October or early November. So thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

faline
12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Crowds typically fall off pretty quickly after New Year's. However, that also depends on when most school systems begin their classes again. If most remain closed for the remainder of that week, I would expect the crowd levels to stay fairly high though not as high as the previous week.

Strmchsr
12-11-2012, 11:10 AM
:ditto: to Linda's thoughts. I would add to that, the Disney Marathon is also often the first weekend, which bumps crowds up, and South American tour groups have been flocking to WDW in January, which REALLY increases crowds. WDW used to be deserted in January, but that's mostly definitely not the case any longer. The MVMCP and Osborne Lights have been starting by mid-November and most things are up then. If you can wait to time your visit to when those things start you should be in good shape with seeing Christmas stuff.

cuteduck223
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
the marathon is the weekend of the 12th this year, so there is that weekend off between new years and the marathon!

mechanic
12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Free dining deals and hotel discounts starting on jan. 2. Tell you that they are trying to fill empty spots.

beksy
12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
The MVMCP and Osborne Lights have been starting by mid-November and most things are up then. If you can wait to time your visit to when those things start you should be in good shape with seeing Christmas stuff.

Thanks for all the responses so far! When do the decorations at the resorts, such as GF and the gingerbread houses, begin? Am I correct that Epcot doesn't have much for Christmas until after Thanksgiving?

Strmchsr
12-12-2012, 07:56 AM
When do the decorations at the resorts, such as GF and the gingerbread houses, begin? Am I correct that Epcot doesn't have much for Christmas until after Thanksgiving?

The resort decorations begin going up around the same time as the parks. The gingerbread houses are usually finished by Thanksgiving week. You are correct about Epcot. All of Epcot's stuff (CP, holiday storytellers, etc) begins after Thanksgiving.

Katzateer
12-12-2012, 09:15 AM
We will never go during October again - I know you can get bad weather other times of year but Sandy impacted our vacation this year. Never again during hurricane season.