PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Early Check-In?

kg00616
12-07-2012, 07:55 AM
We leave for our trip in FOUR days! (Whoop!) So, I keep seeing the little banner that's telling me we can check in now. What is the benefit of this?

Or downside? We haven't been to Disney since 2008 and this is our first time at GF so I'm wondering if I'll by missing something by using the early check in?

Strmchsr
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
On-line check in usually just speeds up the process at the desk. Every now and then you'll get someone go through the online line that wants to make room requests or changes or has a lot of questions which irritates me to know end since that defeats the whole purpose. If that's you, don't do online check-in. If you just want to walk up, get your packet and go, it's awesome. Saves about 5 min at the desk waiting on the CM to enter all of your information. Also, I've discovered you have a better chance of having a room ready when you arrive if you put in your arrival time with online check-in. I have about a 90% success rate with online check-in and had never had a room ready before.

Fangorn
12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
The intent of On-Line Check-in is to speed up the process for people who are familiar with WDW, and really just want to get their keys and be on their way. During the On-Line Check-in process, you are asked for a time you expect to arrive and asked for a credit card number to be used for incidentals. Your packet of materials, including you room keys will be ready and waiting when you arrive. On-line Check-in guests use a separate line upon arrival. Theoretically, all you have to do is show your ID, they hand you your packet, show you where your room is, and you're on your way.

In reality, it doesn't usually work as well as intended. Many first time guests check-in on-line, but then naturally have loads of questions once they get there. There is normally only one, maybe two CMs handling the On-Line Check-in, so a family with tons of questions in the wrong line can severely impact the wait time in that line.

On the positive side, my experience has been that special requests (ground floor, specific building, etc) have been accomodated more often when using On-Line Check-in, and my room is more likely to be available if checking in prior to 4pm.

Realistically, at the Grand Floridian, it probably doesn't matter much. They have enough staff so that the wait to check-in should be minimal regardless.

Hope this helps.

Steve

kakn7294
12-07-2012, 12:15 PM
We have also found that our room is ready and reasonable requests (certain building, etc) are met more often with online check-in. It gives Disney the advantage of knowing who's arriving when so that they can generally have an easier time placing guests.