PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with offsite airport parking?

frozman
12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Good day everyone, I just found out a few days ago that I'm headed to Disneyland this coming sunday, (I posted this on this forum as there's much more activity and it pertains to both FL and CA anyway) a last minute trip made possible by some wonderful low airfares.
As I am trying to cut corners anywhere possible on this trip, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with off site airport parking. I have none whatsoever, as for almost all my trips, I fly out of either Washington Dulles, which has no other options than the on airport parking, or Washington Reagan, which I can just catch a train to. But this time I'm flying out of Baltimore. In the past when I've flown out of here, it's only been for a couple days, and the $8/day on site parking is good compared to Dulles. But here I am with a 1 week trip, and BWI has a lot of 3rd party operated lots nearby, one of which has a coupon for $6.35/day in my entertainment book (I think that's before a .60 tax). A google search revealed a site that lets you book parking at nearby hotels for $5 (no stay required). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with off site parking. Are you supposed to tip the shuttle drivers? I guess they actually help with your luggage and rather than just open and close the doors to let you on and off. If I have to tip them (each way), I guess that kind of depletes a good part of the $1/day savings. At BWI however, these lots are supposedley a big business, and frequent flyers swear by them.

I'd like to hear your opinions no matter where you fly from, whether it be BWI or not.

faline
12-04-2012, 07:23 AM
We've often used off-airport parking both at Logan and Manchester, NH. At Logan, the off-site parking is a bit further away than it is in Manchester where the "off-site" is essentialy right at the airport.

We have used a lot that allows us to pre-book a spot. We've also joined their program that guarantees us a space even if we have not pre-booked - all we have to do is show our member card. This site also provides 1 free night of future parking for each 7 (I think that's right) nights booked and paid. Usually, the off-site parking utilizes shuttles. Sometimes, someone directs you to a spot to park - sometimes, not. Shuttle drivers typically keep an eye out for folks arriving, drive up to your spot and help load you and your luggage on the shuttle. They will typically give you a slip of paper which reminds you of your parking location and provides instructions on what to do to get back to the off-site lot when you return from your trip.

Depending on how many folks are on the shuttle and which airline they are leaving from, you may have multiple stops before you get to your airline. At the airline stop, the driver will help offload your luggage and, yes, we do tip the shuttle driver. (As an aside, I recall, once, years ago, using a similar service where there was a sign on the shuttle stating "No Tipping". My daughter thought that meant that the folks on the shuttle should not cause the shuttle to tip over!!).

Upon returning from your trip, you will likely need to call a number to request that a shuttle driver pick you up. You will be instructed where to wait for the shuttle driver. Make your way to that location; the shuttle will come along and, once again, driver will likely help you with your luggage and will deliver you to your parked car.

If you have not pre-paid for parking (some places offer a discount for pre-payment), you will pay for the parking on your way out of the lot.

frozman
12-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks. I think part of the reason frequent flyers love those lots is the frequent parker program. Then it starts to get cheaper. Part of my problem is that (as stated above), I have 3 local airports and the only one that has any sort of 3rd party operated lots is the least convenient of the 3, as such I don't utilize this airport very often, I just don't know if I'll ever make it back for my free day. After some consideration, I think I might utilize the $8/day on site parking, I think it comes out to about $4 more for the whole trip. However, I'm actually attending school in Minnesota next semester and am going on a trip for spring break flying out of MSP where the cheapest on airport parking is $14/day, and I think you can get off site for as low as $8/day so I defenitley will keep that advice in mind then. It just doesn't seem worth fussing over to save .50 a day at BWI.
Thanks again.

emerzmom
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I have used off-site airport parking many times. I have never had a problem. It is definitely a great way to save a few $$$ ...more to spend at :mickey:
Enjoy your trip!

PopPhan
12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I always use airport off-site parking at BWI. Found a trick -- use the "B" lot and park near the exit. You are the among the last to be picked up, but when you return, you can get off at the first stop and walk over to your vehicle and get out long before the bus comes around. It also gives you a little quicker access to the Interstate to get out of the area....

It's been over a year since I have flown, but last September (2011) the cost was $8.00 per day.....