PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Pet Parent!

BriarRose0708
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I'd like to welcome my new feline BFF! I'd been wanting to adopt a cat for a long time and figured now would be the best time as any. I'd been trolling the SPCA and local shelters looking for the best fit for me. I wanted an older cat (don't have the patience for a kitten) that was laid back but still a "people person" that liked to play and cuddle.

Well, a week ago I found her! She's a 3 year old female, grey with white paws, white chest, and the cutest white smudge on her nose. She's very mellow and her only request in life is a warm lap to sit on. I named her Cat Cora partly for Downton Abbey and partly for the Iron Chef and Kouzzina owner, Cat Cora. We're still getting used to each other and working on the whole "use the scratching post not my chairs" thing, but this is definitely the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :cat::paw:

Katzateer
12-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Enjoy your new friend! If you can, I would suggest you get a friend for her. Two cats really aren't much more trouble than one and they will keep each other company.

TinkerbellT421
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Awww congratulations on the new addition! I love kitty cats! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Congratulations, Nikki! And good for you, rescuing an adult cat, for that matter! Hope you have many wonderful years together! :cat:

TheDuckRocks
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm wishing you and Cat Cora as much love as Frank The Cat and I have shared since he came home with us from the shelter.

arbie_c
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Congratulations on your new fur baby!!

Dsnygirl
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
:paw::cat::paw: Welcome home to your new furbaby!! That is so exciting... I hope you guys have fun settling in to each other!! And how wonderful that you rescued a sweet older kitty.... I bet she is just in bliss. An early merry, merry Christmas present!! :paw::cat::paw:

VWL Mom
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Congratulations on your new family addition. :cat:

SBETigg
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Aww, Cat Cora! Cute! Congratulations, and I hope you two will be very happy together. :cat:

stephicakes
12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Congrats!! How great! :paw:

Agreed - why not 1 more?? HeHe We recently rescued a second dog (110 lb big boy!) and he has completed our family. Can't imagine life without him now ;)

Enjoy your new kitty-cat and I'm sure she is eternally grateful to you for giving her such a loving home! :thumbsup:

faline
12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Great name! I see lots of purring and snuggling in your future!!

Melanie
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Awww, very sweet Nikki. Enjoy your furbaby, and love the name! :paw: :cat:

wdw dude
12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Congratulations on your new friend! I have two cats myself. They are both about 1 1/2 years old. I found the first one hanging around the dumpster at a local restaurant. He was a tiny thing (only 11 ounces). Someone must have just left him there. The second one just kind of showed up on my front porch. I made the mistake of feeding him and he never left. Both are indoor cats now. They are Dudley and Rudy. I never thought I would have two cats, but I'm glad I do. :cat:

:mickey:

Cinderelley
12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Congratulations. Our fur babies become such a big part of our lives. They just snuggle their way into our hearts. :cloud9:

MelissaW
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Awwwww - Congratulations on your new furry friend! And love the name you picked! We have 3 rescue doggies. They are our 3 other children to our 1 two legged child! :blush: They are totally spoiled. Sleep with us - including our two legged child when she wanders into bed with us each night. So the thank goodness for a King Size bed. Although my husband and I say there is just no longer room for us with our 95 lb daughter, 25 lb border collie mix, 30 lb Beagle/Red Blooded Coon Hound mix and pure bred Yorkie rescued from a yucky puppy mill after 3 years of breading puppies in a crate outside!

They all are pretty much spread-eagle on our bed every night! Geesh! Can't a girl get some sleep around here! :crazy: But they deserve the best and we LOVE em all!!! :D

NJGIRL
01-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Congrats Nikki, enjoy your new friend. I love hearing about people adopting shelter animals. For many years I was involved at my local shelter then I branched out into running my own rescue. There are so many out there waiting for a good home. It is heart warming that people are starting to understand the importance of adopting. You really did save her life!

roses
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Congrats on your fur baby! My kitty, Linus, is my little buddy - we play fetch (I think he is confused and may think he's a small dog), and he snuggles me at night, and tells me his whole life story every time I walk in the door. Wouldn't change a thing! Wish you the best!

BriarRose0708
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone! Life with Cat Cora (or CC for short) has been awesome. I don't know what life was like before I got her. She's helped me deal with a tough breakup, made me laugh again, and probably brought my blood pressure down, lol. I took her home for Christmas and she loved playing with my mom's cats so much that I am probably going to have to get her a playmate one of these days!

I can't say enough about adopting/rescuing! She had been scheduled to be euthanized at another shelter before my local SPCA rescued her. It makes me ill to think that I may never have found her.

DVC2004
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm late to this party, but just wanted to say congrats! After my beloved Sam the cat passed away last year- I was heartbroken. I waited about 6 weeks then started looking at the shelters. WhenI found my new guy (We've had him just over a year now)- I knew immediately he was the one for us. He was 2 when we adopted him, a very large size orange and white cat. We think he may be a maine coon mix. We just love him- he brightens all of our days and he really helped me get through the loss of my other one. He is very active, energetic, loving and fun. I can't say enough great things about adopting from shelters, these guys really need loving homes. Congrats again- so happy for you.

7165red
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I'd like to welcome my new feline BFF! I'd been wanting to adopt a cat for a long time and figured now would be the best time as any. I'd been trolling the SPCA and local shelters looking for the best fit for me. I wanted an older cat (don't have the patience for a kitten) that was laid back but still a "people person" that liked to play and cuddle.

Well, a week ago I found her! She's a 3 year old female, grey with white paws, white chest, and the cutest white smudge on her nose. She's very mellow and her only request in life is a warm lap to sit on. I named her Cat Cora partly for Downton Abbey and partly for the Iron Chef and Kouzzina owner, Cat Cora. We're still getting used to each other and working on the whole "use the scratching post not my chairs" thing, but this is definitely the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :cat::paw:

Congradulations. I love her name. My cats like to scratch on my door mats.

BriarRose0708
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey cat lovers and cat friends! I need some help!

So I've had my sweet Cat Cora for six months and couldn't love her more. But just last week she started urinating on the couch :nono: She has NEVER done that before and only relieved herself in her litter box from day 1. She did it on a Saturday, then nothing until Tuesday and Wednesday morning when she did it again. I cleaned the spots with Nature's Miracle and soaked the mattress with the stuff but she seems to keep going back to the same spot. I've now taken to putting towels down when I'm not home and at night.

I took her to the vet last week and they found nothing wrong- no UTI, no crystals, no kidney or bladder stones, nothing. I have not changed anything in her routine either- same litter and food brands, same amount of time spent with her, etc. I am baffled. :confused: She will go a few days using the litter box and just when I think she is back to normal a new wet spot will appear on the couch. I don't want to take her back to the vet yet since the first visit was over $200!

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

TheDuckRocks
06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I have only had problems with cats doing this when they have had a UTI. But knowing cats and how if anything is bothering them they will display abnormal behavior. Usually something in the line of "See how you like this" badness.
Now I know most posters are going to be shaking their heads and saying, "I always knew that woman was crazy" but, have you tried having a serious talk with her.
Here is my experience with Frank The Cat, at about 2 years old he found out he could turn on the TV, change the station and increase the volume in about 5 seconds. His 2 favorite times was when we were in the middle of a program or at 3 o'clock in the morning. After many nights (we're talking weeks here) of interrupted sleep I thought I was going to kill him. I happened to catch The Dog Whisperer on Oprah's and he discussed the importance of talking to your dog in a calm, deeper pitched voice when there was no distractions. You were to address the bad behavior and your unhappiness with them and what might be the punishment if the behavior was not stopped.
I this point I was so upset with Frank I was ready to try anything. Sat him down looked him in the eyes and had the talk. Not in a million years did I think it was going to work. He never, ever messed with the TV again.
Pure luck, God watching over all creatures great and small? I have no idea. We have since had other behavior issues and I always now go to the talk and at least with him it works.
Good luck, raising a pet can be as trying as raising a child.