PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits December 2012

Figment!
12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Tidbits
December 2012

Happy Half Year?

12/22/12 Changes to Passholder merchandise discounts have been announced for 2013. Effective January 1, 2013: all Annual Passholder merchandise discounts will be 10% at the Walt Disney World resort. This will be a reduction from 20% to 10% discount for Premium and Premier Passholder discounts. The Premier Passholder merchandise discount at the Disneyland resort will not be changed for 2013.

New Heritage

12/22/12 The American Heritage Gallery inside Epcot’s American Adventure pavilion will be receiving some new displays in 2013. The park has announced that the gallery will debut more than 40 pieces from The Kinsey Collection. The new displays will feature African-American art, documents, books, sculptures, and artifacts dating back to the 17th century. A preview of the new exhibit will be shown in February 2013 with the full exhibit opening in March 2013.

Pardon our Pixie Dust

12/22/12 As construction continues in Fantasyland, Guests now have an opportunity to get a view of the on-going work. The Magic Kingdom has added a construction wall with a Seven Dwarfs mural that allows Guests to take a peek at the active construction site for the Seven Dwarfs Mine train.

As the construction nears conclusion on the former Fantasyland Sky Way station area, Guests and Cast alike have become a bit concerned over the sightlines for the façade of Rapunzel’s tower. The structure is currently visible from areas in Frontierland and Liberty Square. It is currently unknown if the maturing of trees or structural changes will eventually correct the sightline issue.

12/2/12 As construction continues on the former Fantasyland Sky Way station area, some details of the new area are coming into view of Guests. The new area appears to be comprised of two thatch roof buildings and a facade of Rapunzel’s tower.

More to Explore?

12/22/12 Magic Kingdom Cast have reported that several interactive props have begun to be installed around Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Props have been reported across from the entrance to the Pirates of The Caribbean and near the Adventureland Egg Roll cart. It is currently unknown if these additions are for the rumoured Pirate-themed interactive adventure or if they are additions to the existing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive adventure.

Let's Split

12/11/12 The Walt Disney World Resort has announced the full opening date for the new Splitsville location at Downtown Disney. The new entertainment and dining location will open to Guests on December 19, 2012.

Wi-Free

12/11/12 Complimentary Wi-Fi service is now available at the Downtown Disney area.

11/17/12 With the addition of the free Wi-Fi service to Disney’s Animal Kingdom this week, all four theme parks at Walt Disney World now offer the service. Expansion to the Downtown Disney area has been internally announced to be complete by the end of 2012.

10/7/12 Earlier this week the Walt Disney World resort rolled-out its complimentary Wi-Fi service to its third theme park. Guests are now reporting accesses at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Bigger Adventures

12/2/12 Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure in Epcot’s World Showcase has made some recent upgrades. Disney has announced new elements have been added to the Mexico, Japan, and United Kingdom missions.

Not the Last Laugh

12/2/12 Disney’s Hollywood Studios has announced the return of the Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special for the Peak 2012/2013 Holiday Season. The improv-style show will be held in the Premiere Theater from December 23, 2012 thru January 5, 2013.

Increase in Wonderland
12/2/12 Price Increases have been announced for the Tables in Wonderland discounted dining program. Prices have increased $25 per annual membership yielding a price of $100 for Passholders, $100 for Disney Vacation Club Members, and $125 for Florida Residents.

Edible Encore

12/2/12 Downtown Disney Marketplace has recently added two Food and Wine Festival style kiosks in between the T-Rex and Fulton’s restaurants . The Amuse Bouche kiosk features several Guest favorites from the 2012 festival including the Pork Slider from Hawaii, Grilled Beef from Argentina, and Shrimp Ceviche from Florida. The Cheese and Sweets kiosk features two cheese dishes and the dessert trio from the 2012 festival. Both kiosks offer a selection of wine and beer. The items are priced from $3.25 - $7.04. Downtown Disney cast have reported that the kiosks will be operating in the evenings through the end of the Holiday Season.

A Goofy Addition

12/2/12 Guests of the 2012 Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights are being treated to a bit more character this year. Each night of the lighted display, Santa Goofy is appearing in a Meet & Greet in a small Goofy’s Winter Wonderland area.

New Year, New Treat

12/2/12 Disney’s Hollywood Studios has announced that it will offer a special gourmet cupcake in the New Year to celebrate its favorite buccaneer. Beginning January 17th, 2013; Guests can plunder a Captain Jack Sparrow themed chocolate cupcake with chocolate fudge butter cream icing topped with chocolate shavings and edible golden pearls. The cupcake comes served in a treasure chest box with a chocolate coin, chocolate map, and chocolate key. This decadent dessert comes with an equally decedent price tag of $8.99 and will be available at Starring Rolls, Sweet Spells, Backlot Express, Studio Catering Co and ABC Commissary. This announcement follows in the park's recent similar offerings of a pumpkin/maple/pecan cupcake for Halloween and a gingerbread/cream cheese cupcake for Christmas at most of its counter service dining locations.

KODABEAR
12-02-2012, 02:16 PM
:santa2::tree:
Thanks for the info. It will come in handy when we arrive in a few weeks!

TinkerbellT421
12-02-2012, 02:52 PM
A 25.00 increase to tiw?! :eek::angry: that's a big increase!

Thanks for the info!

Christine
12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Great information!! Thanks Jason!!

They're also having a big pin/merchandising event Dec 6 at Coronado Springs. Which is Odd to me???

VWL Mom
12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the updates!

It is a steep increase but it's also the first one since I got my first card five years ago. For us it will still work out well. Last year we saved almost $900.

faline
12-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking the same thing!!

Jeff
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Ian
12-02-2012, 05:30 PM
That's an outrageous price increase on TIW. I have never in my life seen a company raise a price by 33.3% over the span of a year.

Disgusting.

TinkerbellT421
12-02-2012, 05:50 PM
That's an outrageous price increase on TIW. I have never in my life seen a company raise a price by 33.3% over the span of a year.

Disgusting.

Exactly!!!! that's what I'm saying! Can you believe it?!? like 5.00 increase? Okay I can see it, 10.00 increase, eh, don't like it, but doable.....25.00?!?!?! Eek!

DizneyFreak2002
12-02-2012, 09:45 PM
And the increases begin...

Melanie
12-03-2012, 06:31 AM
So many good little tidbits this month, Jason. :thumbsup:

Curious about the F&W kiosks in DTD. Although I'm not complaining I can get a Kalua Pork Slider whenever I wish. :tasty:

The TiW increase stinks, to be honest. I realize there hasn't been an increase in years, but that's a big chunk at one time. It's still a no-brainer for those living local who frequent the parks, but I imagine there will be some folks who will need to take a closer look to see if it's still a benefit. Going to start a new thread on this in the dining forum.

I've seen some pics of the Rapunzel Tower that's gone up by Small World. Um....weird. :shrug: Nothing's ever been officially announced for that area, but it's always been understood from the beginning when they tore down the Skyway station that it was a new bathroom area. Maybe not?

DizneyFreak2002
12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Only bathrooms Mel... only bathrooms... No meet and greet, no attraction... just a new walkway and bathrooms themed to Rapunzel...

Melanie
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Only bathrooms Mel... only bathrooms... No meet and greet, no attraction... just a new walkway and bathrooms themed to Rapunzel...

That's what I thought. Hmmm, some more bathrooms I'll surely love. Seriously, what is wrong with me? I'm way too excited about bathrooms these days. :blush:

TinkerbellT421
12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
That's what I thought. Hmmm, some more bathrooms I'll surely love. Seriously, what is wrong with me? I'm way too excited about bathrooms these days. :blush:

Never knew someone that clearly enjoyed riding toilets more than you.... ;)

AgentC
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Because as women we have spent waaaaaay too much time standing in bathroom lines. :D

I hear it is also supposed to have charging stations for electronics.

Roger's #1 Fan
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Wow! First new benches at Fantasmic and now Rapunzel themed toilets!

Disney is really going all out to compete with Universal.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the next big announcement will be newly themed Star Wars trashcans at DHS. This will be a great use of the newly acquired LucasFilm property. :thumbsup:

[end of sacrcasm]

Figment!
12-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I've seen some pics of the Rapunzel Tower that's gone up by Small World. Um....weird. :shrug: Nothing's ever been officially announced for that area, but it's always been understood from the beginning when they tore down the Skyway station that it was a new bathroom area. Maybe not?
I hear it is also supposed to have charging stations for electronics. Ya, Magic Kingdom Cast reported that this location would also be the second "D-Zone". Although plans can change, the D-Zone reports from several months ago did come to fruition for the final tent to open in Storybook Circus.

vizsla
12-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the uodates.

TheVBs
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the updates! :mickey: What's a "D-zone"?

Figment!
12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the updates! :mickey: What's a "D-zone"?Essentially, a rest area for the 21st century; benches and charging stations for electronics.

TheVBs
12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks Figment! :)

Figment!
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
**Update**

vizsla
12-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the updates.

emerzmom
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
TIW price is $100 now. WOW! Now you will have to spend over $500 before you will begin to save money ($500 x20%=$100). My TIW card expires in April. I will use it for my March trip and then I guess I will not renew.
:tink:
Julie

pdrlkr
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Figment!
12-22-2012, 10:17 AM
**Update**

vizsla
12-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the updates.