PDA

View Full Version : Daughter leaving for DCP next month, ...lots of feelings!

mouseketeer mom
12-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Any other DCP parents out there? Or any parents who went thru a child leaving home for the first time?
I'm so excited for my daughters dream to be realized. She will be a CM working recreation, most likely at the resorts. I miss her already and she's not even gone. Yes, I'll get to see her, ..for a weekend here and there during her time, and for spring break here in March, but that isn't helping me feel better about this big change in our lives.
Any tips to make the transition easier?

Goofeygal
12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
My son did the CP and he had the best experience of a life time. He actually stayed on as seasonal so he goes down a couple times a year. If you have any questions let me know.

disney obsessed
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
How to make it easier? I have no idea. It is just hard. I try to embrace the change. And if I were you, I would be purchasing an annual pass and planning to use it as much as possible.

sportsguy2315
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
As a DCP participant myself, I find it key to have some sort of support system or family around or to talk to. I'm from MN, so it was hard to see my parents. I do, however, have family outside Orlando and so I was able to do everything from holidays with them to simply going and seeing my cousin play soccer and having a sleepover. If you have family down there, encourage her to get in touch with them or be able to go down yourself.

MissMaryPoppins
12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I agre with Sportsguy. My brother met my sister in law when she was doing the college program and her family was all out of state. She spent a lot of free time at my parents house and knew she had a support system there. She even spent Christmas with us that year.

RedSoxFan
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
There are no words to explain or help you through this. I will tell you from experience that it is hard and that you do get use to it; but that doesn't mean you like it. So long as your daughter is happy; then you'll be fine. I've been through it 3 times with the boys in college. DS20 is 5 hours away. DS25 & DS23 were only an hour away. But DS25 left his TV reporter job in Syracuse in May for a 3 yr stint as a TV reporter in West Palm Beach. The distance is killing me as I can't drive an hour to take him out to lunch. But he did come home in October for Kourtney's Sweet 16 and visited us both weekends while we were in Disney last month. So that helped. Christmas will be especially difficult for him as us. DS23 graduates from college next weekend and has no job yet and I dread to think that he'll move away.
But having said that; I'm looking forward to visiting Chris in FL sometime over the winter with Kourtney. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, etc.