PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland after a Conference?

wellsm
11-30-2012, 12:48 PM
I need some advice, so here is some background:

I may (unexpectedly) be able to attend a conference in Anaheim in January. :thumbsup:

I've never been to Disneyland/DCA before, but I've been to WDW a few times and love it.

I really don't know a lot about DL/DCA. Being an east-coaster all my life, it was WDW or nothing so I've never really looked at what CA had to offer. It seems like there are some of the same or similar rides to WDW.

The conference folks have tickets available for after 4pm at a reduced rate. I think I could do that on 2 or 3 days of the conference. I don't think I will be able to extend my trip for a full day at DL.

So... I'm looking for any tips you would have for me. How much can I see in 4 hours? Any recommendations for a WDW'er who has never been to DL? Should I hit DCA or DL?

Thanks in advance!

bruin1344
11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
My recommendation: go to DL. Take a stroll around DL to enjoy the layout since its different from MK. Make sure you go on Pirates and Space Mountain. Those 2 rides are a lot better than WDW version. Indiana Jones ride is my other favorite ride and its only at DL. Its similar to Dinosaur at AK but Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur ride. I didnt find Thunder Mountain or Haunted Mansion too much different from WDW but still worth a visit. I like Splash better at WDW than DL. Matterhorn wasnt anything special for me but I guess thats a must because its only at DL. If time permits, check out the fantasyland attractions that are not at WDW like Pinocchio, small world (version is different from WDW), and Mr. Toad. Since its January, I dont think waits will be too bad at DL.

DCA is essentially same rides at Epcot and DHS plus a rollercoaster. The only thing you would be missing at DCA is Cars Land but the big attraction in Cars Land will have a long wait anyways and fast passes will be gone by then.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I also put in my 'vote' for you to go to DL! It's so magical! You can really feel Walt's touch here! Do NOT miss Pirates.. it's different than the WDW version.. I love it so much better! And Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...and Space Mountain.

wellsm
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice - thanks!

So, how much do you think I could hit from 4-8pm one day? I wouldn't think it would be especially crowded, right?

arbie_c
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I can't answer how much you can see in 4 hours but I can tell you most of my trips to DL (including my first trip there) we short days because I was in that area for work. I would definitely go. It's just so neat and to know its where it all started. I agree to put Pirates & Space Mtn on your must do list.