PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wine Glasses

LittleSpirit02
11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have experience with painting wine glasses? I used Craft Smart paint pens (says ideal for wood, plastic, metal and glass). A lot of websites say I need to heat the glasses in the oven to set them (put in, then set to 350 for 20 min, turn off after 20, and let cool in oven). I'm just nervous they are gonna crack. Any tips or thoughts?

TinkerbellT421
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
If its good glass for lack of a better term (not dollar store, quality is highly different), thicker substance (not the thin thin kind). And as long as cooled off in the oven, I would keep in oven night. As long as its not hot temp and then not cooled properly, like still being warm or hot and hitting cooler air will be what causes it to crack. Letting it cool in the oven allows the glass to cool at a slow pace which prevents temperature "shock" which will prevent cracking.

TinkerbellT421
11-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Meant to add to try experimenting with one before doing many at once.

Cinderelley
12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
As far as I know, it is a sudden change in temperature that will crack it. I am sure the temperature that glass blowers use to shape glass is higher than 350. Have fun with it and let us know how it goes.