PDA

View Full Version : RFID locks at All Stars

Fangorn
11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
We are currently at All Star Movies. Last night when we returned to our room we had a notice in the room that at some time during our stay, they would be replacing the old door locks with the new RFID locks. That would mean by Dec 1.

We had the new locks at Coronado Springs for ICOT-15 and it was really nice not having to dig the key card out of my wallet all the time. Just getting the wallet next to the lock does the trick.

Steve

steamboat willy
11-28-2012, 09:53 AM
First of all...Thank You for taking time out of your trip to share a bit of DISNEY News!
The new locks sound very convenient. Do you know if they are installed at ASMusic yet? We will be there the week AFTER you leave. Kongaloosh! :marg:

11 Days...:santa::tree::santa:

azcavalier
11-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Don't know about the All Stars, but they were installing them the week we were there (Nov. 10 - 17) at POR. They knocked on our door one day around 2pm to install ours, and we asked them not to because we had kids taking naps. They seemed confused about how to handle it, and they went on to the next room. I kept waiting all week for them to come back and change ours, but they didn't. So, when we left on Saturday the 17th, ours was the only room in the building that still had the old key card locks.

Fangorn
11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Do you know if they are installed at ASMusic yet? We will be there the week AFTER you leave.

The notice is actually a generic notice for all the All-Star resorts, not just for Movies, so I'm assuming they are upgrading them all in roughly the same time frame.

Steve

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Our door at POR was upgraded on our last trip, and I LOVE them!

It was so much easier getting into the room than with the old slide locks.

MargaretMessler
11-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Forgive me for sounding clueless here, but how about when you are leaving your room? Is there a delay of sorts where the RFID key won't just unlock your door as you're walking away?

Never stayed someplace with these types of locks before, so I'm curious.

joonyer
11-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Forgive me for sounding clueless here, but how about when you are leaving your room? Is there a delay of sorts where the RFID key won't just unlock your door as you're walking away?

Never stayed someplace with these types of locks before, so I'm curious.

Usually you have to touch the lock or get it very close to the lock (inches) to unlock. Some systems will lock the door if you double tap the card to the lock, others may have a short time delay to lock when you are leaving the room. It would be a good idea to test the delay when you are there, so you know how long it takes the door to lock when you are leaving, especially if someone else is standing around outside near your room. When you are inside, of course, you can use the manual deadbolt and security chain/hook as well.

DisneyorBust
11-28-2012, 06:02 PM
The RIFD locks were in place during our stay at AoA last month. Like others have posted, it was easy and very convenient. Although I couldn't break the habit of taking my card out of my wallet each time.c:D

BigRedDad
11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I pray that these new keys are encrypted. It would take a thief no more than a a few hours to have access to most rooms at a resort by simply walking through the food court, pool, standing at bus lines, etc.

Granny Jill A
11-29-2012, 02:23 PM
We had the new locks at Coronado Springs for ICOT-15 and it was really nice not having to dig the key card out of my wallet all the time. Just getting the wallet next to the lock does the trick. Steve

Wow! You had better luck than I did at the GF earlier this month. Sometimes the door would unlock with a simple pass, and other times it took several passes before the door clicked.

Interestingly, my daughter's card worked flawlessly every time.

MargaretMessler
11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow! You had better luck than I did at the GF earlier this month. Sometimes the door would unlock with a simple pass, and other times it took several passes before the door clicked.
Do you keep it in your wallet or pocket along with other cards? Sometimes that can cause issues with mag strip type cards, maybe the same with RFIDs?
Same question

Granny Jill A
12-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Same question

Do you keep it in your wallet or pocket along with other cards? Sometimes that can cause issues with mag strip type cards, maybe the same with RFIDs?

Both of us kept our cards next to other mag strip cards, and I was the one who had trouble :(

Oh well....I had trouble with the old cards so I gues it's ME :D

Granny Jill A
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Same question

Both of us kept our cards next to other mag strip cards, and I was the one who had trouble :(

magicofdisney
12-19-2012, 07:52 PM

We had issues as well. Sometimes a card wouldn't work one day but was fine the next. Other times I needed to wave it in front of the handle several times before the light would flash. Periodically, it worked flawlessly. At least we were never completely blocked from entering, however I had 5 keys from which to choose. :unsure:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Just got back today from 6 nights @ ASMu and had pretty much the same experience.
Most times it worked just fine, but twice I had to open my wallet and literally touch the mechanism before the green light came on.

Like many things at Disney, it is fine most of the time but can't quite get it right all the time.

PopPhan
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM

You must have a magnetic personality :D