PDA

View Full Version : Driving to WDW

wolfhog
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
This Saturday my family and I are driving from NJ. Just for peace of mind are there any states to be careful (speed traps) and is gas readily available all the way down? Thanks

faline
11-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I haven't done the drive in quite a number of years but know that we did not have any difficulties in locating gas stations.

BigRedDad
11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Gas stations are easy all the way down. The issue with speed traps is a personal issue. Many states love travelers because they just pay the speeding fine because it is too much of a pain to fight in court. As a rule, I never travel 10+ over the limit unless I am in a line of cars. Never been pulled over for 9 or less. It is the old adage police officers use: Over 9 your mine!

Dulcee
11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Gas stations are easy, I-95 is pretty travel friendly. Fill up in VA before hitting NC (prices are much lower there).

VA turnpike cops are pretty notorious (this is coming from a cops wife) so watch yourself there.

I've done the drive from NJ to WDW over 18 times, it really isn't bad. Our personal favorite stopping point is Pooler GA. Its a push the first day but smooth sailing into WDW on day 2.

steamboat willy
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
To add to What Dulcee said ....also wait if you can to fill-up in SC, lower gas tax and pump prices than ours in NC! :car: we appreciate your $$$, but save it for Disney!
One other suggestion I always give...When you get off I-95 onto I-4 to AVOID ORLANDO TRAFFIC, Exit onto Toll Road S.R. 417 in Sanford, FL. Cost is $6.10 + - but well worth it. S.R. 417 takes you right to the EXITS to Walt Disney World and by-passes all the crazy I-4 stop & go traffic!

12 Days....:car::santa::tree::santa:

wolfhog
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the input, we usually fly but my nephew's wife is terrified of that and train travel, oh well. Hope everyone's Christmas Holidays are great.

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Wolf, while VA cops get the rap, Maryland State Troopers are the sneakiest... They really pull out all the stops in their speed traps... VA does not allow radar detectors to be used and they actually do patrol from the sky...

I drive from NJ if I don't take Amtrak... I usually fill up in Virginia and then not again until South Carolina, as long as I can push it that far... Believe everyone who says gas stations are plenty on 95, cause, they are...

Are you driving straight through?

wolfhog
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes we are driving straight through. Hope to leave no later than 7am.

DisneyorBust
11-27-2012, 06:53 PM
No advice for the drive other than safe travels and have a great vacation!

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes we are driving straight through. Hope to leave no later than 7am.

Have a safe drive... Straight through is not something I ever did... I always stopped over night... But then again, I always did all the driving... My friend never drive one mile...

January-2007
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
When we drive straight through we like to leave between 1 and 3 in the morning, but maybe that's just us. We always find that right after the state line into Georgia the police are looking for lots of targets. Enjoy the roadtrip, we always feel like it's part of the vacation!

barnaby
11-27-2012, 09:29 PM
When we drive straight through we like to leave between 1 and 3 in the morning, but maybe that's just us. We always find that right after the state line into Georgia the police are looking for lots of targets. Enjoy the roadtrip, we always feel like it's part of the vacation!

We drive straight through as well and have found leaving between 1AM and 3AM works best for us too. You arrive in WDW around 8PM-9PM, and can get a good nights rest to be fresh for your first day.

Dulcee
11-28-2012, 08:15 AM
The one time we drove straight through we also left by 1 am or so. 7 am you're setting yourself up for a rough, rough night at the end of the drive and heavy traffic on the NJ turnpike.

If you've got the time and can split the ride in two days I'd stop. We seriously regretted the decision to drive straight through. I'd even seriously consider getting on the road after work on friday, driving til 11 at night or so and then stopping. It would again, make your life far easier the next morning.

Ed
11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
When you're getting low on gas, resist the lure of the stations closest to the interstate. Their prices are usually artificially high. Take an exit that leads to a city/town and drive a few miles in that direction. You'll usually find the price is appreciably lower.

Before we moved south, we made the drive from MD many times, several times driving straight through. On the occasions when we stopped overnight, we usually did so around Savannah.

wolfhog
11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
To clarify I should tell you that 5am is the time I've told my nephew - knowing them I hope to leave no later than 7am. Thanks again for the input and you and your families have a Merry Christmas.

DisneyDawgette
11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Take it from someone who has been in the car as the driver was pulled over THREE DIFFERENT TIMES... VALDOSTA, GA and TIFTON, GA are covered in cops when we go. SLOW DOWN! They'll get'cha! :thumbsup:

We drive from Atlanta, so that's the only speed trap we ever see. Everyone that drives in Atlanta is a little crazy, so we tend to not notice it too much. ;)

Have a safe trip! :D

mechanic
11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I use the gas buddy app. If you have a smart phone it is great. And free.

wolfhog
01-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Just want to thank everyone for their input. In the next couple of days I'll be posting a trip report about our experience.

Pop Centurion
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I use the gas buddy app. If you have a smart phone it is great. And free.I agree. We just drove straight through from NJ as well in Nov and it came in handy to find the cheapest prices.

Also keep in mind that rush hour traffic around DC is horrible. If you're coming from North Jersey you should miss it leaving at 7 but if you do leave at 5 you'll catch the tail end of it.

We left later in the day so we went through most of the southern states at night. We didn't see any patrol cars or speed traps until the am hours in GA, so I can't really give much input. What everyone else has said already is pretty much on point though.

Enjoy your trip.

PETE FROM NYC
01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
DW and I drove from NYC to WDW 9/09, 9/10, and 9/12. I am the only driver and I have health issues, so we take 2 /2 days to travel. I also try to arrive in the WDW areaq a day early just in case we have any delays. Then we will stay off property in a small mom and pop type of motel for that one night. When leaving home we have a cooler for sandwiches and drinks on the road. Other than overnighting, our only stops are potty breaks and gas.
We have never been pulled over for any reason, and have not had any major traffic problems.
Enjoy your trip.

DANAM
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I use the gas buddy app. If you have a smart phone it is great. And free.
I would Also recommend gas buddy we saved a good bit on gas last trip.