PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas Special/Movie.

AgentC
11-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Spinning off of DizneyFreak2002's post what is everyone' s favorite Christmas special or movie? I post my top 5 later but you can bet there will be some Rankin Bass making my list.:thumbsup:

Kenny1113
11-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Of course there's Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman.
As far as movies we enjoy watching Home Alone and Santa Clause, and National Lampoons Christmas.
My DSs like Polar Express.
We watch Its a Wonderful Life when it comes on.

DizneyFreak2002
11-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Favorite special: Rudolph

Favorite movie(s): Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story

Tink1
11-25-2012, 11:46 AM
We have a station that plays the OLD Christmas shows. My favorite is Red Skelton's Christmas Dinner. It is on Youtube in 4 parts as well.

Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite movie

Nanc

DisneyGlutton
11-25-2012, 12:02 PM
"A Christmas Carol" the Sir Patrick Stewart version

"Christmas Story" just b/c my parents enjoy it so much

BriarRose0708
11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Love this!

Favorite special has to be the cartoon mouse version of Twas the Night Before Christmas. I love it because it's so sweet and sentimental plus Joel Grey voices father mouse!

My all time favorite holiday movie has got to be White Christmas. I could watch that in June and feel the spirit of the seasons.

Others include:
Home Alone
Elf
The Holiday
Holiday Inn
It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Muppet Christmas Carol (which is in its 20th anniversary edition this year, making me feel terribly old)

PirateLover
11-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Keeping it to 5 each... there are so many I love!

Specials: Muppet Family Christmas, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Movies: Muppet Christmas Carol (Hoping someone buys me the Blu Ray for my upcoming birthday:)), Elf, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, It's A Wonderful Life

tinkwest
11-25-2012, 01:48 PM
There are so many!! I know I'll forget something.

I wouldn't feel it was Christmas without watching these two specials: A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated). One special that I just loved when my kids were young was A Muppet Family Christmas. I'm not looking forward to the day when my old home recorded VHS tape and/or VCR give up the ghost and I will not longer be able to enjoy this favorite.

As far as movies go I always seem to be drawn to Elf. Will Ferrell is convincingly childlike. The Santa Clause, Home Alone and Home Alone 2, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life are all favorites. Does Nightmare Before Christmas count? This doesn't really count as a Christmas movie, but my favorite movie set during the holidays is Die Hard.

PirateLover
11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
One special that I just loved when my kids were young was A Muppet Family Christmas. I'm not looking forward to the day when my old home recorded VHS tape and/or VCR give up the ghost and I will not longer be able to enjoy this favorite.
Do a transfer! I transferred mine to DVD a few years ago with a special VHS/DVD player. You can also get a relatively inexpensive device to transfer to a computer these days, and then burn to disc.
They do have a DVD version floating around out there but they cut out Fozzie's duet with the snowman and I think at least one other song due to copyright issues.

This doesn't really count as a Christmas movie, but my favorite movie set during the holidays is Die Hard.
We've watched that on Christmas before!:D

TinkerbellT421
11-25-2012, 02:01 PM
1) National lampoons christmas vacation
2) christmas story
3) home alone
4) christmas carol (original version)
5) Santa Claus

For specials, I would have to go with Charlie Brown christmas :)

Melanie
11-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Our family regulars are Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Elf and Home Alone. We'll sit down a couple of Sunday afternoons during the season and watch them.

We'll usually get in a viewing of The Grinch and Charlie Brown.

My personal favorites are It's A Wonderful Life and Love Actually.

Kenny1113
11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
How could I forget How the Grich stole Christmas (animated only IMHO) and mic key's Christmas Carol? :oops:

Kenny1113
11-25-2012, 02:17 PM
And Charlie Brown Christmas. :doh:
Can't believe I am forgetting these great ones

barnaby
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Specials: Frosty the Snowman, Prep and Landing

Movies: Christmas Story, Its a Wonderful Life

Dopey's Girl
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Specials: Grinch (animated), Charlie Brown (only the first 30 mins, with the original voices.) and Rudolph.

Movies: Love Actually (I watch this one a few times a season), Christmas Story, White Christmas, Holiday Inn and Christmas Vacation.

PopPhan
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Special: Trans Siberian Orchestra - "The Ghosts of Christmas Eve"....Since the first time I saw this, the season is not complete without it. Just wish they would remaster it to BluRay!!!!

Not a big "holiday" movie fan, so I can't comment on this part.

MissMaryPoppins
11-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Miracle on 34th Street has been my favorite Christmas movie since I was about 2 years old. I have to watch it every year.

Charlie Brown Christmas. I even have the soundtrack which I listen to constantly at the holidays.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol was shown on WPIX 11 in NYC when I was a kid. It's pretty obscure now and not many people know about it. In fact, when my uncle saw it in my CD collection he went nuts.

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is from 78 or 79. I still have the copy my dad taped off tv for me. I had great songs and one is even done in sign language for Linda, Bob's girlfriend who was deaf. My mom taught me the entire sign language part of the song. I don't remember that part but I do remember the words.

My new favorites are the SNL Christmas special which is airing this Wednesday night and The Office UK Christmas specials. That one still gives me goose bumps at the end and I've seen it many times.

wdw dude
11-27-2012, 08:00 AM
My favorites are:

A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Ziggy's Gift
A Claymation Christmas

:santa:

IwannabeinNarnia
11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh my! There are so many favorites! I ALWAYS watch The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. And Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas is another one I love. All the Rankin Bass ones make my list. The Nativity is one that we watch every Christmas eve... I just love ALL the Christmas movies! I'm not sure I've ever seen one I don't like...

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
DOH! How could I forget Charlie Brown and Grinch? Yes, I wasn't thinking... LOL...

Tink1
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
my kids favorite is The Bear Who Slept through Christmas. I have it on VHS taped from the TV. Have been looking for a DVD decent copy of it for years.

The OJ Simpson running through the airport commercial is an added bonus to the VHS copy LOL

Nanc

AgentC
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
So many great responses and movies I haven't thought of.

"A Christmas Carol" the Sir Patrick Stewart version

Patrick Stewart is so good in this. I have an audio version that I love listening too.

Love this!

Favorite special has to be the cartoon mouse version of Twas the Night Before Christmas. I love it because it's so sweet and sentimental plus Joel Grey voices father mouse!

Yay! Someone else who loves this. It is one of my favorites. Kerplop Kerplooey.

O
As far as movies we enjoy watching Home Alone and Santa Clause, and National Lampoons Christmas.

I think I am the only person in the world to have not seen Home Alone. I'll have to check it out someday.

My personal favorites are It's A Wonderful Life and Love Actually.

I adore Love Actually.

My list is a bit heavy on the specials. It was always a big deal in my house when they came on. My mom even calls me now (like tonight) to tell me when a good one is on.

Specials in no special order. :D

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas- How can you go wrong with Dr. Seuss and Boris Karloff?

The Year Without a Santa Claus - Love the whole theme of believing in Santa with the added bonus of Heat and Cold Miser.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town- Mickey Rooney, Fred Astaire, the Winter Warlock and the Burgermeister Meisterburger.What's not to love?

Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer - Love that Bumble.

A Charlie Brown Christmas

RAIDER
11-28-2012, 05:34 AM
The Grinch and Polar Express and Scrooged ( Bill Murray ) are my favourites

DizneyFreak2002
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Charlie Brown Christmas is on tonight...

joonyer
11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Favorite TV special: "A Charlie Brown Christmas", because that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown!

My favorite TV movie: "A Christmas Story", because I dreamed of and got a Daisy BB gun for Christmas when I was a boy. My wife hates this movie though. I love it when TBS shows it for 24 hours straight.

My Wife's favorite Christmas movie: "A Christmas Carol" , George C. Scott version.

Other favs: "Miracle on 34th Street", "It's a Wonderful Life", and "Holiday Inn"\

I also have to list our family's favorite Christmas audiobook: We listen to it every year: "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" (starring the Herdman children), by Barbara Robinson. It's been made into a movie, but the audiobook is much better. Hilarious and touching.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Just remembered another one.. Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey. and anyone remember Disney's "Small One"?

Melanie
11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Just remembered another movie I love watching this time of year - the Winona Ryder version of Little Women.

Aurora
11-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Great thread! I love so many of the ones already listed and have to watch them every year. But there's one nobody has mentioned yet: Rankin/Bass's The Little Drummer Boy.

Love Greer Garson's narration and the music by the Vienna Boys Choir. When the drummer boy sees the star for the first time, the music makes me choke up every time -- I'm like Pavlov's dog.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned but is one of my daughter's favorites because she is a '90s baby: Beauty and the Beast's Enchanted Christmas. Not one of my favorites but when she was younger she HAD to watch it every year.

And two more of my children's favorites: The Snowman and The Bear. Both hand-drawn animation with no dialogue but lovely music and a dreamy quality.

Mickey'sGirl
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Elf
Cartoon The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Love Actually

I wanted to add that I absolutely HATE the messaging of Rudolf, but the characters are the cutest of any special or movie for sure!

MNNHFLTX
11-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Just remembered another movie I love watching this time of year - the Winona Ryder version of Little Women.
Ha! You beat me to it! :D

Also A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, It's a Wonderful Life (which is actually mildly depressing in some parts, but so uplifting at the end!), White Christmas and one I watched for the first time last year and will watch again this year--Joyeux Noel.

Aurora
11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
... and one I watched for the first time last year and will watch again this year--Joyeux Noel.

Oh, that was a great movie! Thanks for the reminder!

Melanie
11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
one I watched for the first time last year and will watch again this year--Joyeux Noel.

We have that movie. James (my hubby) really liked it. I need to definitely watch.

Another one we have I've never watched is The Nativity. Anyone seen it? Worth a watch?

barnaby
11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
We have that movie. James (my hubby) really liked it. I need to definitely watch.

Another one we have I've never watched is The Nativity. Anyone seen it? Worth a watch?

I thought the Nativity Story was pretty good. It is the story of Mary and Joseph and the birth of Christ that is told based closely on the Gospels, primarily Luke and Matthew I think.

Mickey'sGirl
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone ever see the Star Wars Christmas special from 1978? It was broadcast only once (speaking to the quality of it :darth: ) . All about Chewy going home to Kashyyyk. Kind of a fun thing to find on the Internet. :yoda: :darth::ewok::chewy::trooper: