PDA

View Full Version : Surprise At Check-In

steamboat willy
11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
On our last trip, we took our 5 year old grandson with us on his FIRST Disney Trip!
We had requested (2) beds and a Accessible Room. At Check-In, the young lady said we have your rooms ready! I said "we ONLY have one room mam". She called her supervisor who looked over her shoulder and informed us that DISNEY had "compt" us an adjoining room to accommodate our needs.
We now had adjoining rooms, 3 beds, 2 full bathrooms and 2 TV's and room for all the CARS vehicles one could play with.
I've read of surprise "Up-Grades" at check-in, but I never thought I'd see one.

Thanks Walt Disney World!:mickey:

Any surprises on your check-in?

15 Days..... till we check-in :santa::tree::santa:again!:santa::tree::santa:

gardenia
11-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Great story!

We went to BCV in May and had a 1BR reserved. I had requested a specific location, not realizing there were no 1BR in that spot... and when we walked in the villa, we found we had been upgraded to a 2BR. It was great to have that much space since we had 2 teens with us.

taleasoldastime
11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Getting surprise upgrades is so awesome!
A couple years ago, on my graduation trip, we stayed at wilderness lodge. Upon check in the CM told us we had been upgraded to a suite with concierge floor access. We had such an awesome view and so much room! We got really lucky!

DisneyorBust
11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks fantastic! What a magical surprise for your grandsons first trip to WDW!

MrPeetrie
11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
In 2001, we stayed at the Boardwalk Resort. When we booked our room, all we asked for was an AP-rate, non-parking-lot view room. But when we checked in, we were told they had a great room available for us. It was a corner room on the third floor (right above the Flying Fish), with a spectacular view of Crescent Lake. It blew us away and that experience still rates as one of our best stays on property.

WhiteRose1
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Oct 2008 - booked poly magic kingdom view for our 5th anniversary

When we checked in, we were expecting to get our cirque tickets with our package, and the CM informed us it was with the concierge...in our bulding!!!! it took me a minute to make the connection...cause regular poly buildings do not have a concierge desk... The woman smiled and said.. "Oh, you've been upgraded."

When we got to the room, walked out onto the balcony and saw the dead center view of the castle...I was speechless! The upgrade fairy had granted my wish! We got Concierge Magic Kingdom View! (Hawaii building)

Almost every night, we walked over a few rooms and down a flight of steps to the lounge to grab some snacks, then watched the fireworks from our third floor balcony.

I think we had just requested 'third floor'... I really loved it!!!!

Katzateer
01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Haven't really gotten any big room upgrades except ave gotten preferred view rooms at values when just paid for standard.

The one big upgrade we got a few years back - paid for a lower level room with no window on a Dsney Cruise. We got a room with a balcony which was wonderful and there was a fruit tray and some type of wine or champagne waiting for us.

It was because we had paid full price for our room, the cruise in the lower levels was booked up because a lot of the passengers had gotten free vouchers because their previous cruise had been impacted by September 11th.

marlyn
01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Wow....that's awesome. I've never been upgraded, in fact I was downgraded. I paid for a preferred room and when I got there I was given a standard room. They did refund me the difference but I wasn't too happy about it. :(

DisneyDawgette
01-05-2013, 11:14 PM

When we checked in, we were expecting to get our cirque tickets with our package, and the CM informed us it was with the concierge...in our bulding!!!! it took me a minute to make the connection...cause regular poly buildings do not have a concierge desk... The woman smiled and said.. "Oh, you've been upgraded."

When we got to the room, walked out onto the balcony and saw the dead center view of the castle...I was speechless! The upgrade fairy had granted my wish! We got Concierge Magic Kingdom View! (Hawaii building)

Almost every night, we walked over a few rooms and down a flight of steps to the lounge to grab some snacks, then watched the fireworks from our third floor balcony.

This made my jaw drop! All of these stories are wonderful! Congrats on all of your luck! :D

When we go, we go with a friend of mine who is a Hilton Platinum member, so we get free rooms as it is. However, I would LOVE to stay in a WDW resort (not the Hilton downtown...), but I'm not about to pass up free! Maybe one day soon we'll all pitch in for a big room. :cloud9:

goofy-4-disney
01-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Several years ago we were checking into the Caribbean Beach Resort when they told us they had overbooked for our stay. They then told us we had been upgraded to the Yacht Club garden view for the price of the CBR. When we got to our room we could see Epcot and the lake and were able to sit on our 3rd floor balcony and watch Illuminations.

JerseyDad
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
....although not occurring at my check-in (at the POP concierge counter), this past August we were offered a free up-grade to AoA from our room at POP. My brother was staying at AoA with his family (their first WDW visit) and had mentioned at his check-in that we were staying at POP. My brother has a son with autism and we were going to be their 'tour guide" for their first time there, and to help out where we could. I guess my brother mentioned it to someone at the concierge desk in AoA ...and they told him that they'd not only do a free upgrade for us to an AoA family suite, so we'd be near my brother, but that they'd actually "move" us over to AoA. (we were already unpacked and settled into our room at POP).

....now ...at that time, the AoA Lion King suites had only been opened for 10 days prior to their (my brothers family) and our arrival at POP, and maybe the 'popularity' of AoA hadn't caught on ....but there was no way that were at full occupancy (very strange) and could make that offer to us.

...by the way ....we tuned down the offer. We had visited my brother's room in the Lion King section ...and frankly ....we weren't thrilled by the 'decor' ...and we had a great, preferred room location in the 60's Building 4 at POP (ground floor, poolside, 1st room closest to the bar and main hall) ...and I guess we were just creatures of habit after 9 times at POP, and liked that better.

....but it's nice to know that WDW can, and does provide surprise perks now and then.

BigRedDad
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Very nice to see the magic when its unexpected. They do what they can when they can.

thewolvescall13
01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Several years back, my family and I went to the Polynesian, and had a lagoon view room. When we went to check in, they told us that we were upgraded to the Club Level, theme park view. I had never seen my parents cry of joy like they did. We enjoyed the time there so much, that this year are actually paying extra for the club level.

brownie
01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Several years back, my family and I went to the Polynesian, and had a lagoon view room. When we went to check in, they told us that we were upgraded to the Club Level, theme park view. I had never seen my parents cry of joy like they did. We enjoyed the time there so much, that this year are actually paying extra for the club level.

:welcome:

thewolvescall13, welcome to INTERCOT!

Tigerinvestigator
01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
We regularly receive upgrades at the Dolphin to better views as part of the Starwood membership. We've been upgraded to suites, balcony rooms, and Epcot views. We have even had them give us much lower rates once we arrive for a better view.

We have also been upgraded on at least three occasions at the AKL. Twice we were upgraded from standard views to Pool views and twice we were upgraded to Savanna views. Not once have we ever actually stayed in a standard view room although that is all we have ever payed for.

We arrived a day early for our reservations one year and they didn't have a room available at the AKL where we were staying at a great rate, so they gave us a room at the Beach Club for one night at the same rate as our AKL room. That was very nice and we did not ask for it and were prepared to pay full price on our arrival.:thumbsup:

Katzateer
01-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Haven't really gotten any big room upgrades except ave gotten preferred view rooms at values when just paid for standard.

The one big upgrade we got a few years back - paid for a lower level room with no window on a Dsney Cruise. We got a room with a balcony which was wonderful and there was a fruit tray and some type of wine or champagne waiting for us.

It was because we had paid full price for our room, the cruise in the lower levels was booked up because a lot of the passengers had gotten free vouchers because their previous cruise had
been impacted by September 11th.

Now we HAVE gotten an upgrade that was very nice at WDW. I posted it already, but during our Jan. Visit this year we got upgraded from a standard Little Mermaid room to a Lion King Suite! Very nice and we enjoyed the upgrade ,:cloud9:

JenniferS.
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
In 2009 we booked a standard garden wing room at the Contemporary. We were so happy to be staying there..our first time at a deluxe. We checked in at like 11 pm with 3 small kids in tow. We ended up getting upgraded to a Tower Room bay lake view. It was our best trip ever.

disneydeb
01-30-2013, 10:20 PM
I've never gotten an upgrade.:(

but that's ok! I went to Disney! :mickey:

EpcotChic23
01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
This past Oct. my DH and I did a quick trip to the world to be there for Epcot's 30th. We had a free night comp at the Contemporary from 7 years ago. With that and the discount they offered we decided to stay there. We booked the a garden wing room and when I did the online check in I requested a first floor room. I personally like opening my sliding doors and being able to walk outside. The day before we leave we get a call from the hotel asking us are any of us afraid of heights. We said no, they told us they did not know if they can gaurentee a first floor we said no worries.

Fast foward 24 hrs later after a very delayed flight:mad: we pulled into the CR at 11 pm, both DH and I were in very bad moods. The CM checked us in and started to tell us our room is the tower on the 10th floor. We went to the 10th floor walked into our room and staring right back at us with Cinderella's castle. It's a sight I will NEVER forget. We got out of our bad moods immediatly. I eventually layed down on my bed and drifted off to sleep with the castle in the backround. I don't think we will ever be able to afford to stay in that room but it was so magical!

mom2morgan
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Very nice! We were upgraded at AKL in September from a pool view to a savannah view, and it really "made" the trip. (I'll confess, though, that I booked pool and crossed my fingers because I've heard upgrades there are pretty common. I just hadn't realized how MUCH I'd love the savannah view - will probably have to book it from now on.I'm sure that is the reason for the upgrade ;-)

WhiteRose1
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I always tell people...book for the type of room you want, and be happy with it when you get it...I do admit I always have my fingers crossed when I check in anywhere.

I love reading these stories, and I wonder if the upgrade fairy grants wishes twice! (We are staying at poly again for our 10th anniversary this Oct!)

Figment104
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
In 2004 my now DH and I took our first "adult" trip to WDW and had booked a standard room at the WL. When we checked-in I was told that we had been upgraded to a courtyard view room. The only other thing I had asked during the check-in process before being told of the upgrade was if the room was non-smoking, since I think at this time they still had both, and DH had quite not too long before our trip. I couldn't believe the view we had from that room and it made our trip that much more magical. Now the only problem is that, that's the view I want and I don't want to take a chance we won't get it so, now I pay for it. I'm sure that's part of the reason for the upgrades, to get people like me hooked on the more expensive view lol.

MrPeetrie
02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

This is amazing!!! That's Disney Magic!!!

andmomlau
02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow!!! Such great stories! In all of our many, many trips, years ago at POLY and Dixie Landings, then WL, BC, POP, numerous times at POR, OKW, we have NEVER had an upgrade. In fact, we've requested certain buildings or a King size bed and we've never gotten that! But, we're still in Disney!