PDA

View Full Version : Express Check-in? Not so much.....

Granny Jill A
11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
We signed up for Express Check-in at the GF. Thought this would save gobs of time for us since we are seasoned Disney travelers.

We got off ME and were greeted immediately by a young woman with a clipboard. We mentioned that we were signed up for Express Check-in when she asked if we had been there before. She took us past the sign for Express Check in and handed us over to another young woman at the front desk. We noticed her tag said "Earning my Ears" and our hearts dropped a little. OK - should be easy since we have Express check-in - right?

She had to stop every few keystrokes and ask someone to come and help her. I'm very sympathetic to newbies, but it became clear to us that she needed far more help than just a quick "hit this key and use this code" from a passing co-worker.

It was 20 minutes later that she "found" our packet in the Express Check-in bin where it had been all along.

faline
11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Not a smooth start. So far, we haven't used the express check-in feature at all.

arbie_c
11-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. I just tried it earlier this month for the first time and it worked well. Better luck next time.

mechanic
11-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Never feel a need to use it. I don't think check un has ever been longer than 20 minutes. Seems like the more people in line, the more counters open up.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
We've done the online checkin twice now, and both times the lines at the online checkin were longer than the regular checkin, and we've waited LONGER.

So, I think we'll skip it for the next trip.

Granny Jill A
11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
We've done the online checkin twice now, and both times the lines at the online checkin were longer than the regular checkin, and we've waited LONGER.

So, I think we'll skip it for the next trip.

My daughter has used it twice when she traveled with her husband, and she had no problems with speedy check-in. I guess we just drew the short straw this time. ;)

Aurora
11-21-2012, 09:55 AM
We've never minded the check-in process at any trips we've ever taken. I like the usually first interaction with the CMs and we've never had a bad experience.

I believe we've used online check-in twice. I didn't notice any difference in the speed of getting our room or interaction with the CMs, so I just stopped using it. If it ever becomes an issue we'll probably try it again.

Patricia
11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I have not used express check in yet. :blush: Although I noticed the lines at Pop were much longer at Express than the normal line. That being said, I don't use Express because I don't mind waiting as I usually check in too late to enjoy any park time so I'm never in a hurry.

I've had the newbie CM experience checking in and although it took a very long time, she had a good sense of humor and we found her entertaining. I can see if you want to get going with your day it would be a pain.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I think I get the short end of the checkin stick!

Not only did I get A LONGER line than regular checkin, I also got a very new CM who was still "earning his ears", and although he was nice, he didn't know anything ... so it was super slow.

Oh well, we were at Disney, and at that point, nothing else really mattered!

Gocubs
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
We have used express check in on our past three trips and never had any issues. Last year at the Poly was especially smooth. We were greeted before we even made it into the lobby and directed to the golf carts. A cast member brought our folder to us and we were driven to our room. We were staying Concierge, I know the golf cart ride is a perk when staying, but it was painless.

Last month we had a similar experience at BLT. I went in and got my folder, although room was not ready. We were there early, around 11AM. Some have commented that online check-in may help you get into the room sooner, but I think it is just luck depending on crowds, time of year, etc.

We will continue to use it. It's kind of fun to check-in before you leave, signifies that good times are ahead.

goofygirl67
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I have done on line check in lately. I have had no problems and actually enjoy I can choose what floor I stay on. In the past they have stuck me on the second floor and I like the bottom better.

BigRedDad
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm at Disney and I am relaxing. I don't mind if it is a new person working that needs assistance. We were at Pop Century once at Express Check-in. We knew ahead of time my Disney Rewards card would not work and that they would have to call them. The new worker was confused and finally understood to call the number, give them the card number, apply the rewards to the room, and all is done. It took all of about 20 minutes as well. No issue at all for me. DD played around the lobby, DW looked around, went shopping, and all was good after.

DonLefNY
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
The last two times I checked into OKW the Online Check in line was longer than the conventional check in line.

Granny Jill A
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Not only did I get A LONGER line than regular checkin, I also got a very new CM who was still "earning his ears", and although he was nice, he didn't know anything ... so it was super slow.

I hope Disney starts assigning mentors to be available during the "Earning my Ears" phase of employee training. If someone was in the background, but quickly available to answer questions, you and I would have been served much more efficiently.

DizneyFreak2002
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I used Express Check in last year and it was anything but express, at Contemporary/Bay Lake... But it was no fault of the CM... The computer system became buggy and they were having issues with the reservation system network... So check in took two hours longer than it should have... However, I used it to check into Saratoga during my split stay and it worked as intended (no reservation issues)... The CM who checked me in was training (her manager, or so she said, was watching over her literally) but she wasn't slow on anything...

I'll be using Express Check-In during my next visit (which has just been booked)...

Kenny1113
11-26-2012, 04:58 PM
After the thread on Express Checkin, I decided that maybe it was because I wasn't doing the online check-in with enough advanced notice. This time I did it several days before. When we got to the hotel late at night (1200) I was glad I did it when I saw the Express Checkin line was significantly shorter than the regular check in line. My happiness did not last long, as I was standing in line I noticed only one CM was handling the Express Check-in people and 4 were helping the regular line. :( Of course the guests ahead were all very complicated. And took quite some time at the counter. People who got in the regular line after I got into the Express line were done before I was. On the plus side MY check in (at the counter) was only 5 min. :thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Of course the guests ahead were all very complicated. And took quite some time at the counter. People who got in the regular line after I got into the Express line were done before I was.:thumbsup:

So now it looks like we need an Express Express Check-in Line. That would be for those of us who had NO questions or no complications with our reservation, eh?