PDA

View Full Version : Quick surprise trip

whymsycalwitch
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I’m planning a very quick trip in May. It’s a Christmas gift for my mom. I am going to sign us up to run the Everest 5k.

Because of money & vacation time issues planning isn’t as fun this time around and I have a few things I’m having problems working out and would love some input. Just so you know I’m a huge planner so please take that into account when reading this.

I plan on flying into Orlando on the morning of the race, so Saturday. Check into the hotel (more on that in a minute), picking up our packet, doing a bit of shopping at DTD and then relaxing until we head over to AK.

Hotel? I’m planning for this to be a 3 night stay, Sat, Sun and Mon and returning home late Tuesday. I’d like to be able to stay at the AKL but I just can’t afford to do that for the entire trip so I thought I would spend one night there and then move over to the new Art of Animation resort for the other nights. Do you think I should spend the first night at AKL or the last night? I was leaning towards the first night for a few reasons. 1) the race is right there 2)it’s about the same distance to the sports complex 3)I would get a savanna view room and since we are going to have a late Saturday night we could hang out in the morning & watch the animals. No big rush. Then switch hotels & head off to Epcot for the rest of the day. Of course my husband got me thinking that may not be a good plan and we should stay there the last night. He said it would be like going from first row to nose bleed seats at a concert.

I would love some opinions on this. Regardless of where we stay the night we arrive, do you think we will have enough time to check in & get our packets & still be able to squeeze in shopping & some food before the race? I’ve never been to the sports complex so that whole thing is a new experience. Along with the whole runDisney thing. This will be our first runDisney event.

I was going to get a 3day base ticket. No parks on Saturday, just the race at night in AK (admission included with race ticket). Epcot on Sunday. MK all day Monday & part of Tuesday before we leave. No DHS this time or additional day at AK. I’d rather spend the time in the new Fantasyland.

Thanks for the advice.

rnin02
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I think your DH has a good point...it would be hard to leave AKL once you get there:) But will you have time to relax any of your other days there? If you plan to go, go, go all day long the other days, and no time at the resort, I say go AKL first and then AoA so you have time to check out AKL and relax a bit there. We went to AKL for our honeymoon but spent most of our time zooming through the parks and didn't enjoy it to the fullest, and I regret that. It is such a nice resort, so beautiful.

I have no idea about timing for the other stuff, but good luck!

whymsycalwitch
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
We are the go go go type as is and with it being such a short trip we will be go go going more than ever.

WRWDisney
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
I agree with rnin02 on the basic theory of staying in the best room last. One other point to think about, if you stay at AKL this first night, you will pay the weekend rate for the first night. Some numbers (all rack rate from the Disney site, w/taxes):

Saturday night, savanna view, rack rate AKL $532
Mon. night, savanna view,rack rate AKL $483
Sun-Mon night, savanna view,rack rate AKL $965

Saturday night, rack rate AoA $170
Sat-Mon night, rack rate AoA $312
Sun-Mon night, rack rate AoA $284

So AKL first night only, followed by AoA: $816
AoA, first night, AKL last two: $1135
AoA first two nights, AKL Savanna view last, rack rate $795

So, about $20 cheaper to stay in AKL your last night versus the first. Not a big deal if you don't have time to enjoy the resort. About $300 more to spend the last two nights at AKL.

Just some food for thought. Enjoy the trip:thumbsup:

emerzmom
11-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Our last trip we stayed the first night at Poly Conceirge and our last night at AKL (BLT for 4 nights in the middle). Arriving that first day is always so magical and it just made it so much better that we were at one of our favorite hotels. We hated to leave but we really enjoyed it. Switching hotels on our last night was not as fun and although we loved AKL we were already sad it was our last day and somehow it just wasn't as fun.
So, one vote for starting out at AKL :mickey:
:tink:
Julie

Janmac
11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Ordinarily I'd say best hotel last as well.

Based on your schedule description, I'd say your first impression of AKL for your arrival night is the better choice. You will have the late night Saturday and will appreciate the down time Sunday morning before you move. And the theming at AKL will coordinate with your AK race Saturday night.

The only way AKL works for your last night is if you'd plan to be at AKL during the late afternoon Monday or Tuesday morning before you fly out, and that's not in your plan.

What AoA may lack compared to AKL should be minimal with your spending most of your awake time at MK.

Per WRWDisney's info, we're only talking $21 difference even with AKL on the higher weekend rate.

Jan