PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in Disney-- Help with Dates, Please!

DisneyDawgette
11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
So, DBF and I are planning our 2013 trip to WDW! I was so excited when he told me yesterday that we should go ahead and plan one, that I just about fell over. Excitement and shock were double-teaming me there! :mickey:

We just got back from our last trip in mid-October, and we are probably going with my family again for Memorial Day... Crowded, I know- but the only time it's possible because of my impending semester of doom in January. Ah, to be so close to a degree.

My question for all of you is about crowd levels near Thanksgiving:

1. How bad is it the week leading up to Thanksgiving and on Thanksgiving itself?

2. How bad is it the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving?

3. DBF and I loved MNSSHP last month- it was not overly busy and it was a great atmosphere with parades and whatnot, though we did not enjoy Halowishes as much. How is MVMCP in relation to MNSSHP in terms of crowds and entertainment? I'm sure that the week of Thanksgiving will be a little more crowded.

4. This all being said, do we go for a Thanksgiving trip to try out Disney decorated for the holidays (which I haven't seen since I was young, and don't really remember- and he has never seen), or do we stick with October? We're huge fans of the F&WF and we really enjoyed low crowds and manageable temperatures. Do these things disappear in November?

You guys rock! :D

Strmchsr
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanksgiving week is pretty crowded, especially Wednesday through Sunday. Also, some of the holiday stuff (like MVMCP) doesn't happen during Thanksgiving week. You still get to see some of the decorations, but, honestly, I'd pick another week if you want to see the Christmas stuff or stick with what you love in October.

buzznwoodysmom
11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
If you aren't tied to any kind of school schedule I'd try to go the week after Thanksgiving. This would give you less crowds, and all the decorations would be up by then.

We've been twice during Thanksgiving week and had a fabulous time (seriously one of our favorite times to visit). It was crowded, but no where near as crazy as many would have you believe. We had no problems seeing and doing all we wanted. But, we arrived the Friday before Thanksgiving on one of our trips, and stayed until the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving on another trip so that we could attend the Christmas party. We took a few days off from the parks to see all the hoiday decor at the resorts, and we also didn't do a park on Thanksgiving day since we knew it would be packed.

If you really want to go to MVMCP it doesn't run during Thanksgiving week. You'd either have to arrive on the Thursday or Friday before Tday, or stay till the Sunday or Monday after.

I would go with Thanksgiving week (or the week after) and save another Oct. trip for later down the road since you were just there in Oct.

STIXmamma
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
We went a few years ago for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. Crouds were very managable and Thanksgiving morning we took advantage of the early morning hours at magic kingdom. My boys rode everything they wanted 2 or 3 times with no line... by the time they opened the gates we moved on to another park. The weather was absolutley perfect... I would go back that week a thousand times! We are heading there for the 4th this year to play baseball @ the Rawlings International and will be WISHING for that weather!

DisneyDawgette
11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
We are heading there for the 4th this year to play baseball @ the Rawlings International and will be WISHING for that weather!

I used to go for basketball nationals at the Wide World of Sports... unfortunately that was in JULY, so there was no hope of decent weather. :(

But I'm so conflicted now! Some people love Thanksgiving... Others say it's crazy! Guess it's time to flip a coin! :thumbsup: