PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland HK

Zawadi
11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
We're lucky enough to be going to Hong Kong next year and will be calling in to see The Big Cheese.

Does anybody have any insider tips for the DLR HK park.

Katzateer
11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I have not been to the park, but a friend of mine lived in Hong Kong for 5 years and it is very beautiful around there- she used to hike in the mountains surrounding the city and some of the pictures she sent were beautiful. They moved back to the states right before the park opened.

Hope you have a great time!

Melanie
11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Gosh, it's now been almost 4 years since we've been to Hong Kong Disneyland. Wow, time flies.

We spent 2 days there during Christmas. The grounds and resort itself are BEAUTIFUL! It is built on Lantau Island, which is actually quite a haul from downtown HK (Kowloon). But nice thing is, HKDL is on the same island as the international airport.

We were there when the resort wasn't that old. Our 2 days there were plenty to see everything. There is now Grizzly Gulch and Toy Story Land, so much more to see.

As for the attractions we saw, they have the new "improved" Space Moutain (like DL), so that's a not miss. Also, Small World was built with the Disney characters integrated in the ride already, and it's awesome. Autopia there is how all the 'speedways' should be, and Jungle Cruise is my favorite one of all the JC's worldwide. Be sure you get into the English line (not the Mandarin or Cantonese one ;) ). Don't miss climbing Tarzan's Treehouse. There are some beautiful views from up there. There is also Mickey's Philharmagic and a Stitch attraction along the lines of Turtle Talk. Be sure to check the guide for the English showings.

Wish I could give you more info on the new lands. The Grizzly Gulch coaster looks amazing! Wish I could go back.

Where are you staying? We stayed for 2 nights at Disneyland at the Hollywood Hotel, which we loved. Really, didn't have a complaint and had an awesome park view from our room. The other hotel is the Disneyland Hotel, but it's a smaller replica of the Grand Floridian. The walkway between the two hotels on the water is gorgeous and peaceful.

If you are staying in town, the subway has a very convenient stop at the resort. No problem!

I'm excited for you! :mickey:

Zawadi
11-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Where are you staying? We stayed for 2 nights at Disneyland at the Hollywood Hotel, which we loved. Really, didn't have a complaint and had an awesome park view from our room. The other hotel is the Disneyland Hotel, but it's a smaller replica of the Grand Floridian. The walkway between the two hotels on the water is gorgeous and peaceful.

If you are staying in town, the subway has a very convenient stop at the resort. No problem!

I'm excited for you! :mickey:

We're staying both in Tsim Shai Tsui (Kowloon), overlooking the harbour and Hong Kong Island for the majority of our stay. However, since we're Disneyholics, we will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel (concierge level) for last two nights of our stay. As you said Meanie, DLR HK is close to the airport so we can spend our last day in the park until our 11pm (12 hour with -7 hour time shift) flight home.

What is the MTR (subway) like when you've got cases? I'm thinking in terms of being crowded, escalators etc.

Melanie
11-17-2012, 07:45 AM
What is the MTR (subway) like when you've got cases? I'm thinking in terms of being crowded, escalators etc.

That we didn't do with our cases. We were on a tour, so a bus took us into Kowloon. We did take the MTR when we went back out to Lantau to go see the Buddha, and I don't remember it being crowded at all.

How exciting you are staying concierge at the DLH. It's such an easy beautiful walk to the front gates from that hotel. Like I said before, the grounds are gorgeous!

NJGIRL
11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Gosh, it's now been almost 4 years since we've been to Hong Kong Disneyland. Wow, time flies.

Melanie I remember when you made that trip. I loved reading your trip reports. It is so interesting to read about what the other Disney parks have to offer. :thumbsup:

Zawadi
11-19-2012, 05:38 AM
We will put up a trip report, of our 10 night trip, in "Vacations Outside Florida" forum, towards the end of April 2013.

We've found out that for guests in the Kingdom Club rooms, your hosts (Mickey & Minnie), drop by to say goodnight to the kids (big & small), donned in their PJs.

Melanie
11-19-2012, 06:39 AM
We will put up a trip report, of our 10 night trip, in "Vacations Outside Florida" forum, towards the end of April 2013.

Can't wait to read it!

Brer Longhorn
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Was in Hong Kong in late October and spent a day at the park. First out of the US park we had experienced.
Used the subway system, that was super easy and the crowds were almost non-existent until the last stop before Disney - It was a Saturday morning.

Crowds were low, weather beautiful, and the mountains behind the castle (outside the park) add a really nice touch.

Grizzly Coaster was fun and used a lot of pieces of tech from coasters in the US parks - I'm sure you'll recognize them. Smoothest roller coaster I've ever been on. Felt like butter.
Have to second Melanie's recommendation of Jungle Cruise - really cool how they made it different.
Mystic Manor looked really fantastic behind the walls - not sure when it it will open, but hopefully it's open by your trip date.
I wasn't super crazy about the Toy Story area, but we didn't have any kids on this trip, so they may of had a different take on it.
So worth the day spent there. Missed some of the things I'm used to, but was a great overall experience. Hope that this helps.

Zawadi
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Doesn't time fly by nowadays !

We asked the opening question on Nov 16. Next week we actually leave for Hong Kong :D

Keep your eyes open for the trip reports

Melanie
04-04-2013, 04:10 PM

We asked the opening question on Nov 16. Next week we actually leave for Hong Kong :D

Keep you eyes open for the trip reports

:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Keep your eyes open for the trip reports

Have a great time and take pictures for us!

Awesome_guy
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Have fun!! Grizzly Gulch looks amazing! The hills in the background give so much uniqueness, too! Hope to check it out one day (and Shanghai too once it gets built). Envious!