PDA

View Full Version : Disney Begins "Dragons" Viral Marketing Campaign

Figment!
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has started a new "viral" marketing campaign around Dragons.

As part of the campaign a new tumblr site has been launched at http://disneydragons.tumblr.com. Between this site and the official blog, several teasers videos have been posted by Social Media Managing Editor Gary Buchanan.

Several months ago Walt Disney Imagineering tested a large "aerial puppet" of a dragon in Bakersfield, California. The remote operated, dragon-formed aircraft featured flapping wings and could reportedly "breath" fire. Although it has not been confirmed, it appears that the grainy teaser video may be of the same or similar device.

There is little concrete information at this time, however; it appears Disney will be announcing something soon related to Dragons and it will likely involve the New Fantasyland and a new type of puppeteering technology.

DizneyFreak2002
11-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I remember when the original video hit the internet... almost every insider you spoke to said this wasn't for WDW... Now it appears things changed or the insiders were tricked... I believe some sort of show is meant to eventually come to the new Fantasyland area and this may just be part of it...

wdwluv
11-15-2012, 06:24 AM
New Fantasyland looks pretty full to me. Where would they fit anything?

BrerGnat
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
New Fantasyland looks pretty full to me. Where would they fit anything?

The dragon being referenced is a show element. It's an aircraft, essentially. It doesn't need to "go" anywhere in New Fantasyland. It flies around in the sky.

IF they use this dragon, my guess is that it will only be used during the grand opening media press event thingy and that's it. Something like that would probably prove too dangerous to routinely fly around over the heads of thousands of guests. Seems like they have developed this thing for special events, not daily use.

Roger's #1 Fan
11-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Am I missing something? What does a dragon have to do with any storyline in any of the attractions in New Fantasyland? :confused:

The rumors I had heard about this craft were more Avatar related. Wait... isn't there a dragon in the AK logo? LOL

Aurora
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm all for the coolness factor, even if it's just for the press event. Hope it's awesome.

DizneyFreak2002
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I think Nat hit it on the head... Seems like the talk gaining steam is this would be a one time use situation, not as a regular part of a show... I know there was talk of some kind of mideval style show for New Fantasyland, so the dragon would actually be useful with that theme, but maybe it was just internet chatter and nothing more...

wdwluv
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
It's wierd, though, isnt it?.... There aren't any dragon related things with New Fantasyland. Just seems wierd to me. And to go to all the trouble for just a part of the opening ceremony? Maybe it's just me....

Dario
11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Are we sure this is not for AK? They have a Dragon parking lot and in the original Logo they had a dragon!

BrerGnat
11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Are we sure this is not for AK? They have a Dragon parking lot and in the original Logo they had a dragon!

Disney all but said it is NOT for Avatar or Animal Kingdom park.

My guess is that a dragon will start flying around "threatening" New Fantasyland. Sorcerer Mickey (or someone) will suddenly appear, "battle" the dragon, and be victorious. Fantasyland will be saved. Then, it will be declared safe for guests and grand opened.

Just a hunch...

DizneyFreak2002
11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Disney all but said it is NOT for Avatar or Animal Kingdom park.

My guess is that a dragon will start flying around "threatening" New Fantasyland. Sorcerer Mickey (or someone) will suddenly appear, "battle" the dragon, and be victorious. Fantasyland will be saved. Then, it will be declared safe for guests and grand opened.

Just a hunch...

Are you writing their Dec 6/7 presentation for them? :) That would be a pretty cool way to "open" the land...

BrerGnat
11-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Are you writing their Dec 6/7 presentation for them? :) That would be a pretty cool way to "open" the land...

No, I probably have too much talent to write anything for Disney. ;)

But, that would be cool, right?

DizneyFreak2002
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
No, I probably have too much talent to write anything for Disney. ;)

But, that would be cool, right?

Cool isn't the word... Would be a pretty awesome opening... :thumbsup:

Buttercup
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
The only dragon thing I can think of related to Fantasyland would be Sleeping Beauty's dragon/witch. There's one pictured on that Tumblr that looks like it's black & purple from Sleeping Beauty.

Cheshire_Girl
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
The only dragon thing I can think of related to Fantasyland would be Sleeping Beauty's dragon/witch. There's one pictured on that Tumblr that looks like it's black & purple from Sleeping Beauty.

Well...Fantasyland-Pretty much screams Dragons. Just my opinion...I think a dragon sitting on a castle turret watching over the land-purely the stuff of fantasies :)

FLKatie912
11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
I've heard all of the same rumors as everyone hear. However, I was dreaming that it would be some awesome new effect for Fantasmic :mickey:

Awesome_guy
11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Disneyland Paris has a dragon's layer complete with audio-animatronic dragon underneath its castle, just sayin' ... would be cool if the idea was making its way across the Atlantic. Based on what you're saying, sounds like I'm dreaming though.

DizneyFreak2002
11-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Seems like this flying dragon really isn't for WDW... They may use it once and then ship it back to California where it was/is being developed... Probably will be used for the media event and that is it...

FLKatie912
11-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Seems like this flying dragon really isn't for WDW... They may use it once and then ship it back to California where it was/is being developed... Probably will be used for the media event and that is it...

I agree. It seems like it would be unsafe to have a free flying fire breathing anything hanging above Guests heads multiple times a day.

DizneyFreak2002
11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I agree. It seems like it would be unsafe to have a free flying fire breathing anything hanging above Guests heads multiple times a day.

That's partially my feeling (and I am sure Disney's lawyers are saying the same thing).. We don't need these free flying gadgets cause we all know what would eventually happen... A nightmare for guests and Disney alike...

Now, if they they could find a way to incorporate something similar into a show, but just not too free flying, well, that may be pretty awesome...

Tekneek
11-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Shouldn't we have dragons in the Beastly Kingdom / Beastlie Kingdomme? :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Shouldn't we have dragons in the Beastly Kingdom / Beastlie Kingdomme? :mickey:

Not when said land is dead as a doornail... ;)

Two videos have come out, viral of course, and they show the dragon in flight... You cannot tell that there is a person flying the contraption... The wings flap as if in flight... Pretty cool looking, on video...

Aurora
12-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Disney Parks Blog posted this video today:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/12/disney-dragon-mission-accomplished-i-found-my-flying-fire-breathing-friend-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

DizneyFreak2002
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
One time deal... that's it... A viral campaign for a one time showing of something guests will never experience in the park... Wow is all I have to say...

BrerGnat
12-06-2012, 08:32 AM
One time deal... that's it... A viral campaign for a one time showing of something guests will never experience in the park... Wow is all I have to say...

I'm not really sure about that.

It really doesn't make sense to put THAT much time, money, and manpower into something that was just used one time.

I think the best thing Disney could do with this dragon is just have it sporadically fly around MK at night...sometimes...on a random (or not so random) schedule. They should make it something that you *might* see. No schedule for it. No specific times given. That would keep it mysterious and would surprise guests, thus keeping it a "magical" experience.

In fact, I'll go one further.

Resurrect the dragon lair in AK. Make it "a thing", i.e.: Turn it back on. ;)

Create this story that there is a dragon that lives in AK. During the day, you can visit his lair, and hear him sleeping and see the smoke, etc. Sometimes, he comes out at night and flies around WDW. Make it a mystery. And then, have the dragon RANDOMLY fly around the WDW property. Guests will go to WDW and hope to spot the dragon at some point during their trip. Maybe they'll see it. Maybe not.

You know, like every other MYTHICAL creature.

Would be cool, right?

*This has been another Intercot Consulting suggestion for The Disney Company.*

dnickels
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Would have been cool to see!

What's the technology behind the dragon? Since it's free flying it's obviously not on wires and we can't see anything in the dark to tell what's keeping it airborne. Prop? Rotor? Jetpack?

BrerGnat
12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Would have been cool to see!

What's the technology behind the dragon? Since it's free flying it's obviously not on wires and we can't see anything in the dark to tell what's keeping it airborne. Prop? Rotor? Jetpack?

It's an ultralight aircraft. It's essentially fan/propeller driven. Apparently, Disney has figured out a way to light up only the portion of the dragon they want visible at night, masking the propulsion system from view.

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm not really sure about that.

It really doesn't make sense to put THAT much time, money, and manpower into something that was just used one time.

I think the best thing Disney could do with this dragon is just have it sporadically fly around MK at night...sometimes...on a random (or not so random) schedule. They should make it something that you *might* see. No schedule for it. No specific times given. That would keep it mysterious and would surprise guests, thus keeping it a "magical" experience.

In fact, I'll go one further.

Resurrect the dragon lair in AK. Make it "a thing", i.e.: Turn it back on. ;)

Create this story that there is a dragon that lives in AK. During the day, you can visit his lair, and hear him sleeping and see the smoke, etc. Sometimes, he comes out at night and flies around WDW. Make it a mystery. And then, have the dragon RANDOMLY fly around the WDW property. Guests will go to WDW and hope to spot the dragon at some point during their trip. Maybe they'll see it. Maybe not.

You know, like every other MYTHICAL creature.

Would be cool, right?

*This has been another Intercot Consulting suggestion for The Disney Company.*

While I agree with you, this should be used, as you said, sporadically around MK (Florida weather does kind of put a damper on the use of this thing), we have to remember who we are talking about here... We all know the TDO stories, no need to repeat them...

Several well placed sources have already confirmed this is a one time appearance... Even Disney's own promotional video from last night mentions it is a one time use... I don't think there is a bigger source than Disney itself...

However, the backlash has been pretty bad against the mouse so far... And it is only gaining steam... The general public (I.E. fans) are not happy that Disney ran a month long viral campaign about dragons only to showcase it for media (who really don't care) and Disney fan site / bloggers owners only... So we shall see if they change their minds... I bet they don't since they really don't care about the fans...

And you speak of Animal Kingdom... Well, they are going to be building a new land where there were flying dragons so maybe this technology can come back in the future (thinking around 2017 before Pandora opens to the public)... We shall see...

John
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
See the INTERCOT.com homepage - video of the actual flight last night...

happyhobo
12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I think this is part of the sorcerers of the kingdom game. Randomly once a day dragon flies over and those with the spells can defeat him maybe some kind of real prize if you are playing the game while it flies over.

Cool prop. Hope they keep it around.

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I think this is part of the sorcerers of the kingdom game. Randomly once a day dragon flies over and those with the spells can defeat him maybe some kind of real prize if you are playing the game while it flies over.

Cool prop. Hope they keep it around.

Nope, sorry, not part of the Sorcerers game... it was a one time use prop only sad to say...

Septbride2002
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Am I the only one that is kinda ticked this was a one time thing. I mean seriously - this looked REALLY REALLY cool and I am totally jealous of those that got to see it.

~Amanda

John
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Am I the only one that is kinda ticked this was a one time thing. I mean seriously - this looked REALLY REALLY cool and I am totally jealous of those that got to see it.

~Amanda

It was as cool as it looked - trust me on that.