PDA

View Full Version : How to surprise my toddlers

ChrissyChris
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to tell my 3 and 5 year old daughters that they are going to Magic Kingdom? I want it to be a fun and exciting way, like the day we celebrate Christmas.

faline
11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
At thase ages, you could probably arrive at Disney World before you reveal the surprise to them.

Perhaps, you could present each of them with a gift of a princess outfit and ask them to guess where they could wear them?

faline
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh, and welcome to Intercot!! :mickey:

DisneyDawgette
11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
My sister woke up to a stuffed Mickey next to her bed (very Elf on the Shelf). When asked why it was there, it was explained to Micki (my sister's name... definitely not a coincidence) she was told that it was about time she meet him in person. :)

BrerGnat
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Have your kids been there before? Do they know what Disney World is?

ChrissyChris
11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
My daughters have never been to Disney World...we have been talking about the "castle" and how the Mickey gang and all the princesses live there...when I first asked my daughter if she knew what Magic Kingdom was, she said no. She is 5

SBETigg
11-13-2012, 01:07 PM
If they're not really sure what to expect, I'm not sure surprising them will elicit the response you're hoping for. You're excited, but they might not really get what the excitement is about. It might be a better idea to give them time to get used to the idea and build their excitement by involving them in the planning process.

buzznwoodysmom
11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I "surprised" my kids with a trip to Disney for their birthdays when they were turning 2 and 4 and they didn't really react at all! LOL. They had both been to WDW 2 or 3 times and definitely knew what Disney World was, but at that age the "surprise" kind of goes over their heads. They were too busy running around "Andy's Room" in the Toy Story Section of All Star Movies to be bothered with anything else. They were thrilled to be there, and had a great time, but the whole "surprise" aspect is better saved for when they are old enough to fully understand and appreciate.

Forward to one summer when they were 6 and 8 and we surprised them with 2 nights in WDW on the way home from Vero beach and that is when we got the reaction we were hoping for. They had no clue till I told them to look out the front window of the car as we drove through the "gates". They screamed, and yelled, and told everyone that would listen that their parents had surprised them with a trip to Disney when they thought they were on the way home.

It'll be fun for you, but just be prepared that the response you get may not be what you were expecting or hoping for.

Madame Leona
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
I've made maps for my boys (now 5 and 6) in the past. I have a picture of our house and car, then a picture of the part and ride bus, a picture of the plane, a picture of the Magical Express bus and finally a picture of the Resort we are staying at. Also, I get them "I'm Going To the Walt Disney World Resort" t-shirts. They love the maps so much that I'm even to make them when they know we are going.

Janmac
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Perhaps the best way to surprise your toddlers is to get a planning video and watch it with them. Several times. Over and over.

:D

Especially the parts they like the best.

Get a Birnbaums guide and look at all the photos. If you can get old guidebooks, cut the photos out and paste them on paper.

Then, go to Disney World and take them to the places they liked on the planning video. That's when you'll get the reaction you want. When they realize they are there. You'll probably hear: this is the place on tv! (or in the pictures)

What they like might surprise you - it might be a restaurant in a resort, or a pool slide, a fountain or even a particular statue. But whatever it is, make note and be sure to visit that place, if possible. It may just be more fun for your kids than the rides.

As buzznwoodysmom said, kids a bit older are the ones that react the best. We are planning to surprise our kid-in-the-family (sister's granddaughter) with a trip this February; she is 8. We're just going to drive on property and watch to see when she figures it out. (She will think we are in Florida for other reasons.)

Jan

Cass&KenziesMom
11-13-2012, 09:37 PM
My girls are 4 (will be 5 next month) and 7. We're going in Feb. and we plan on surprising them for Christmas. What I've done is bought them each their own little rolling suitcase. Then I ordered them each a pair of Minnie Mouse ears from the Disney Store and had their names put on them. I'm going to put their ears in their suitcases and give my oldest a "letter from Mickey". I also bought them princess costumes and tiaras and they'll be getting those with a letter from Cinderella telling them about their makeovers at Bippity Boppity Boutique. I can't wait to see their faces!

Janmac
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I've made maps for my boys (now 5 and 6) in the past. I have a picture of our house and car, then a picture of the part and ride bus, a picture of the plane, a picture of the Magical Express bus and finally a picture of the Resort we are staying at.

I did this sort of thing for my cousin's son (then 7) when we all went to WDW last April. He's the sort that would drive his parents nuts asking questions - like how many days til we leave? or how big is the plane? - so they HAD to surprise him. He thought he was accompanying his parents on a "business" trip, so didn't pester them with endless questions.

I made a small book - using a 20 photos, 4" x 6" size, album - with pictures and info about what he might be doing each day of his 4 day trip. His mom merely gave him the book once they were seated on the plane. She had her camera ready for when the reality of his actual destination set in, and got some great photos.

Jan

Jan