PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Literally Is Falling Apart

DizneyFreak2002
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes, we have all commented on the sad decline of a once glorious attraction known as Splash Mountain... Broken AA's, broken effects, etc...

Well, now there seems to be even a bigger issue... The attraction is literally falling to pieces... yes, that is right, the attraction is now falling apart... On October 18, rock work fell off the attraction and landed on ride vehicles (as people were in them) either on or near the control booth... Tarps have been put up over the queue and also in the ride itself... Why in the ride??? Well, the mountain has sprung a leak...

Where is the maintenance? And really, tarps being installed is the answer? Remember the temporary netting for Tree of Life (which still hasn't had any work done to it to fix the problem of branches falling off)? Well, they are still up... Are we supposed to really believe that Splash Mountain will be fixed when the ride goes down in January? I'm doubtful...

So, rock work or branches fall and the response is TARPS and NETTING... Yes, I feel so much safer...

Now, THIS is an issue we need to be discussing and blasting Disney for, not Starbucks sponsoring the Bakery... So, take to it people... Email WDW, call, post on their heavily edited and pixie dust filled Parks Blog, hit their Facebook and Twitter... Let them know we know about their lack of maintenance and how we all know they are not fixing issues that can cause serious bodily harm (or worse) to guests....

TinkerbellT421
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I saw that story too :( definitely disconcerting to say the least

Disney Hungarian
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I have avoided this ride due to the "laughing place" fountains not working for 2 years. I hope Disney can get their priorities sorted. It is very difficult running a business of this size. Having to be accountable to stock holders and the public. It is not an easy position to be in. They seem to have gotten away from the fundamentals lately. I hope they can get it sorted soon. There was also the lamp post on EE striking a train car in the news recently. I want WDW to be here forever and am concerned with the current management in place that this may not be the case.

1DisneyNut
11-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't worry... You'll be paying a heck of a lot more when prices increase drastically next year (to make up for the lack of any growth in WDW) for the right to have rock work fall on your head!!!!

And they wonder why attendance is stagnant at best to down in WDW....

I predicted stagnant to down attendance a few years ago when they continued to raise prices while at the same time cutting services and amenities during the worst economic downturn since the great depression. They have to constantly run promotions discounting pricing in an attempt to raise attendance. I would think that some "genius" working for Disney would point that out at a meeting and say "Hey, do you think we have shot ourselves in the foot with reductions in quality and services and at the same time priced ourselves out of the market?"

I have personally observed the decline in quality at WDW and I am one of those that has greatly reduced my attendance in response, not because I can't afford it but because I am not satisfied with the lack of value I am receiving. We went from two or three trips to WDW per year to one every two years and are visiting other destinations instead. We actually stayed offsite in Orlando this past trip and only visited WDW two days. The other days we visited Universal, Busch Gardens and Sea World and that is unprecedented for us; we have always stayed onsite and visited WDW parks for at least five days. The magic that once was, has been diminished with mediocre restaurants, lack of maintenance and careless staff.

We are skipping WDW again this next year and instead are going to Washington DC and then to Williamsburg VA and visiting Busch Gardens. On a separate trip we are visiting the beach next summer. No WDW plans in the works for us right now.

We don't have to hammer their websites and as you pointed out, they will just delete or edit to their liking anyway. The way you get their attention is by posting your honest opinions on these types of forums where they have no control. They actually review these forums for trends in customer sentiment.

joonyer
11-11-2012, 10:07 PM
The condition of Splash Mountain (our family's favorite WDW attraction) makes me sad. It has been neglected for too many years now. But I think the absolute best way to get their attention is by voting with your wallet. That's what we have done. No visits to the parks since 2008. I miss it, but don't know when we'll be back.

Polynesian Dweller
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I'd get on Disney if Splash had had its annual refurb but it wasn't done because of BTMRR 's lengthy refurb. It's almost two years since a scheduled refurb was performed and we are seeing the effects of missed maintenance. All the stuff would likely have been found in its annual maintenance.

It would have been a tough decision whether to take it down in peak tourist season this past summer. There would have been howls and what complaints would we have seen it the various forums. Complaining now but think of how people have complained about it being down for its regular maintenance. Lots of angry threads about that over the years. Glad I don't have to make those calls. Much too easy for people to criticize regardless of what's done.

But maybe they'll learn from this and consider a short downtime for BTMRR since it could miss its annual refurb this coming year.

As for tarps, I'm no engineer so wouldn't presume to know what's feasible to get the ride through to January.

PirateLover
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I have to concur... it is my favorite ride but it needs MAJOR attention. We rode during ICOT15... I think it was Friday the 26th. It was closed for 3 hours and then reopened. We got to ride once and then shortly after it closed again. That ride was a bummer. We got stuck for two minutes on one of the lift hills, I noticed missing AAs, the lights were flickering the entire time, and the audio cut out for a full minute while we drifted through before slamming into the stopped boat in front of us. The Laughing Place was a sad place. Not only were the water features not working (and have not been for a while) but nothing else seemed to be working in there either. I was so sad.

DizneyFreak2002
11-11-2012, 10:19 PM
1Disney and jooy, you are both right... One way we are going to get their attention is by not spending money there... I refused to head down this year... And I refuse to spend the time or money I used to spend there... I have cut the time I spend there from 10 days to maybe 4.... I refuse to buy their cheap merchandise or eat on property as much as I used to... My money is being spent in places where I am WOW'D... WDW just doesn't give us any of that WOW anymore... Even New Fantasyland is eye candy and little substance...

And 1Disney is right by voicing our displeasure... We have to... We need to flood FB and Twitter and fan forums... Problem is, there are too many people who will try to shout you down and scream from the mountain top that you are a hater or you are negative and ruining the forum... These people can't see that WDW is losing major ground and will defend Disney's mediocrity only because it is Disney... They can't seem to understand that some of us aren't happy with the product and that we are allowed to voice our opinions just as much as they can voice theirs...

We have to keep bringing the short coming up so management knows we are paying attention to the product and we aren't happy... Next year you'll probably be paying over $100 a ticket BEFORE tax... But, what are they giving us to justify the raise in cost? Poor maintenance, bland food, cheap merchandise, and cost cutting in entertainment and show ready rides...

I just wonder what it will take before TDO wakes up and realize their cheap ways is destroying WDW....

Tekneek
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Billion dollar profit. Tree of Life branches and Splash Mountain rocks falling down. Regulators might find it hard to understand the state of maintenance once someone is injured due to this.

SBETigg
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Wasn't there also some big safety issue with Rock n Roller Coaster? I seem to remember a quick fix going on with something there that needed more attention? I can't imagine why they would be taking risks with guest safety, and if so, I think it's going to take a lot more than "voicing our displeasure" to make a change. Unfortunately, and I hope not. But this doesn't sound good at all.

DizneyRox
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Hmmm....

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=192929

Let's not forget the the previously mentioned Tree Limbs from Heaven Walking Trails at AK, Big Thunder Mountain Demolition Derby at MK. These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For RnRC problem, it seems the list goes on, and on... What else did I miss?

Anyone noticing a pattern yet?

MizMissy
11-12-2012, 01:18 PM
The state of disrepair for Splash Mountain really upsets me. It is our favorite ride. I see that the refurb schedule has it listed as down for 2 1/2 months, more than the normal January schedule, hopefully, they can really fix what needs to be fixed.

CMCTxMom
11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
The state of disrepair for Splash Mountain really upsets me. It is our favorite ride. I see that the refurb schedule has it listed as down for 2 1/2 months, more than the normal January schedule, hopefully, they can really fix what needs to be fixed.

Yup, it's going down for most of the late winter - hopefully things will look better after that.

Hammer
11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
As was pointed out by another poster, the ride did not have its annual maintenance this year, so it is no wonder that the problems are greater this year. Consequently, Disney is taking the ride down for an almost 3 month refurb instead of the usual one month so as to have more time to address the increase in work which needs to be done.

So, remember this next time the post comes up about this ride's annual refurb. THIS is why it can't be skipped any year.

TinkerbellT421
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a feeling that this refurb will start as a three month refurb and then about a month in they are going to realize it needs way more than a three month refurb and we will all see the refurb time extend once it starts. Mark my words. This ride is in desperate need of a year long refurb. And I never even rode it till January and it was barely working.

Quadstriker
11-12-2012, 06:22 PM
These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For RnRC problem,

What was that one?

DizneyFreak2002
11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Do the apologists actually believe that the TDO style maintenance would have detected rock work/cement falling issues? And are we actually defending a very dangerous situation because Splash Mountain didn't have its annual refurb? Really? I mean, I know Disney online community members have clouded judgments, but really? Wow... good thing none of you were in the ride vehicle when the cement came crumbling down....

We are talking about the same management group that 1) has not fixed the branch problem with the Tree of Life, thus making sure an accident like that doesn't happen again (no, they fix it by placing theme destroying nets that wouldn't catch one of those heavy branches anyway); 2) placing tarps over the Splash Mountain queue; 3) not fixing the cracks in the branches in Swiss Family Treehouse; 4) refusing to upgrade and update the 1970's track in Space Mountain because it was too expensive; 5) continuing to put off a Jungle Cruise refurb when it needs it, so much so that if they keep pushing it off, well, they will have new swamp land, let us not forget the deck where the queue is needed a complete overhaul long before they actually did it, and yes, the deck was collapsing and posed a major safety issue long before they actually did something about it... And you all think a minor few months will take care of all the issues that face Splash Mountain? Don't hold your breath...

seanyred
11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Actually netting and tarps have been holding the upper deck at Wrigley Field for the past 5+ years. There has been no additional reports of falling debris (just a falling record lol). I know this isn't a apples to apples comparison but there might be some validity to using the nets.

That being said TDO needs to expand the budget for maintenance and stop putting band aids on things that need stitching.

waymickey
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
IF anyone from Disney is reading this please understand I love Disney but I am probably not going to visit anytime soon. I want to, I really do. But to visit and see my favorite place in the world falling down would break my heart. Please Disney fix Disney World, bring it back to that magical place where dreams come true. I miss being wowed walking around the Magic Kingdom. I miss the sparkling clean parks, Happy CMS and rides that made me want to stand in line for an hour to see it all again. Bring back the Magic Please.

DizneyFreak2002
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Actually netting and tarps have been holding the upper deck at Wrigley Field for the past 5+ years. There has been no additional reports of falling debris (just a falling record lol). I know this isn't a apples to apples comparison but there might be some validity to using the nets.

That being said TDO needs to expand the budget for maintenance and stop putting band aids on things that need stitching.

TDO's losing streak is getting to be as long as the Cubs... LOL.. :)

But, in all seriousness, yes, they do need to expand the budget for maintenance... Band aids do not make the problems go away...

A Big Kid
11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
So, remember this next time the post comes up about this ride's annual refurb. THIS is why it can't be skipped any year.

I get so sick of hearing this fallacy. People don't complain about it being refurbed. They complain about it being refurbed the same time very year (right before marathon weekend) and only announcing it after most people have made their plans.

DizneyRox
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
What was that one?
Late 2010 RnRC was closed unexpectedly for a couple of days twice in two weeks. Rumors it was pretty big safety problem, but mums the word. This was only a few months after it actually reopened from a rehab.

DizneyFreak2002
11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Late 2010 RnRC was closed unexpectedly for a couple of days twice in two weeks. Rumors it was pretty big safety problem, but mums the word. This was only a few months after it actually reopened from a rehab.

I remember this... I believe the issue was the shoulder harnesses... I don't recall if one broke in the middle of the ride or if they weren't locking in while the ride was running... I'm sure there is info on fan sites if anyone really wants to research...

I get so sick of hearing this fallacy. People don't complain about it being refurbed. They complain about it being refurbed the same time very year (right before marathon weekend) and only announcing it after most people have made their plans.

And people complaining that rides are down for refurb is why WDW is now literally falling apart... Instead of feeling entitled to every attraction being open, people need to grow up and realize rides need regular maintenance... And TDO needs a set to tell these whiners to bad, so sad, bye bye if you don't like it instead of being scared and not refurbing their attractions the right way....

Gator
11-13-2012, 12:43 AM
I'd like to find out why this attraction is always having problems, and please don't give me the usual "Disney is cheap" answer. I keep hearing that a water ride is hard to maintain, and that's why it needs a month off every year. But PiratesOTC is a water ride, and the AAs seem to work just fine in that ride everytime I ride it. The same goes for the Jungle Cruise. So why do some water rides consistently work well, and the other not so well? Again, I dont want to hear that Disney doesn't care about us - they spend 1 of every 12 days of the year fixing SplashMt, and far less on POTC. What's really up with The Laughing Place?

Dsnygirl
11-13-2012, 01:43 AM
IF anyone from Disney is reading this please understand I love Disney but I am probably not going to visit anytime soon. I want to, I really do. But to visit and see my favorite place in the world falling down would break my heart. Please Disney fix Disney World, bring it back to that magical place where dreams come true. I miss being wowed walking around the Magic Kingdom. I miss the sparkling clean parks, Happy CMS and rides that made me want to stand in line for an hour to see it all again. Bring back the Magic Please.

I have to jump in here...

I totally agree that it is frustrating to see/experience rides being down - I got walked off Splash Mountain 3 weeks ago, and wasn't too thrilled about it. Our last trip, Space Mtn went down numerous times, we were ushered out of line twice. I am saddened to hear about the numerous other occasions of malfunction and the disrepair people are seeing. I, too, have seen my fair share, although not the instances mentioned here.

But really - I just had one of the nicest trips I've ever had, and although it may have been b/c I was also with some of the coolest Disney fans out there :D, I didn't find the parks to be filthy, the CM's I encountered were friendly, kind & helpful, we had MANY wonderfully magical moments and I walked away loving my vacation as much as I ever have. Now, granted... I haven't been going as regularly as some on here. But I do feel that 9 trips in 7 years give me a pretty decent perspective.

Yes, Disney needs to get some work done... and not just for asthetics sake, but more importantly, to be sure their patrons are safe. Yes, new CM's need a bit more customer service training - learning to think/act like many of us have come to enjoy and expect from Disney CM's is NOT a natural attitude, I'm sure, for many of the folks hired, even if they think it's "easy breezy" to be happy all the time. It's not. I agree with the people who think that DHS needs an update and some new life built into it, beyond just what they've recently done, and that that goes for ALL the parks.

But I confess to being WOWED by the new Fantasyland... not Storybook Circus, I admit I was a bit underwhelmed for however cool I DID find the concept of a "dueling Dumbo" ride. But everything else I found to be just beautiful - beautifully done, beautifully engineered. Maybe it's just b/c it's been SO long since I've actually seen something new at Disney that it just felt great to be REALLY looking at all the artwork and architecture for the first time... but regardless, it made me happy. It was a "feel good" place, and that for me makes it work.

In fact, an awful lot of our trip made me completely happy - silly grin happy - and I can say that w/o any reservation for all of our trips. Yes, we've had our issues w/ customer service... yes, we've missed out on rides that are having issues... yes, we've seen things that need to be worked on... but has it ruined our trip? Has it made us desire any less to go back? No. Have the increased costs held us back? Yes. I will admit that - and I agree that the increased costs while other things are being taken away is a GREAT frustration. But I still love to be there while I'm there, even if it has to be less often... and I still walk away happy.

So... please, let's not "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak. Yes, I think we all agree Disney has a lot of work to do. But I hate to think that anyone can't find magic there, that it would come even close to be viewed as a place that is "falling down around us", regardless of the recent mishaps. :(

DizneyFreak2002
11-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I'd like to find out why this attraction is always having problems, and please don't give me the usual "Disney is cheap" answer. I keep hearing that a water ride is hard to maintain, and that's why it needs a month off every year. But PiratesOTC is a water ride, and the AAs seem to work just fine in that ride everytime I ride it. The same goes for the Jungle Cruise. So why do some water rides consistently work well, and the other not so well? Again, I dont want to hear that Disney doesn't care about us - they spend 1 of every 12 days of the year fixing SplashMt, and far less on POTC. What's really up with The Laughing Place?

I know you don't want to hear it but, honestly, it is shoddy maintenance due to cuts in the maintenance budgets... It is debatable about POTC looking good and Jungle Cruise working too... The issues with Pirates though really isn't water based (though some of the issues are)... And Jungle Cruise, well, like I said, if they don't fix what needs to be fixed, they will have a new swamp in Adventureland...

But, I am not sure it is due to the fact that Splash is a water ride... A lot of their rides are broken and not even close to show ready... We all know about Everest... Dinosaur has a ton of effects that have been either shut off or just never fixed... Soarin's film is dirty and the projectors are never cleaned so black spots appear all over the film...And those are only a few attractions....

So, I know, you don't want to hear it is because they are cheap but, well, they are cheap... Cutting maintenance staff and budget is the cheap way out... and as far as not caring, well we all know they don't... The Rizzo factor plays into their minds (they are tourists, what do they know?)... As long as people still come to the parks despite the condition and as long as people defend the mediocrity, why should they change? Though, upper management (not in Orlando but in Burbank) have finally acknowledged WDW's attendance has and is declining... So, it would be interesting to see how many of the TDO mis-management team is around when the house cleaning begins... I know we can say goodbye to Meg... I think we'll also be saying bye to Phil Holmes... Just wonder who else will be "retiring" when the time comes for the shake up....

DisnIse
11-13-2012, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=DizneyFreak2002;2317296]TDO's losing streak is getting to be as long as the Cubs... LOL.. :)

Best line I've read in a long time!

:)

Dixie Springs
11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Noooooooo.....not my fav MK thingy! This thred is more depressing than "Sophie's Choice" and "The Notebook" back-to-back, on a gloomy fall afternoon. I'm on my way now with a bucket of paint.

A Big Kid
11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
And people complaining that rides are down for refurb is why WDW is now literally falling apart... Instead of feeling entitled to every attraction being open, people need to grow up and realize rides need regular maintenance... And TDO needs a set to tell these whiners to bad, so sad, bye bye if you don't like it instead of being scared and not refurbing their attractions the right way....

That is silly, and dare I say disingenuous. Once again, and I'll type slowly, the complaint is not that SM goes down for a refurb. It is that it goes down the same time every year. Specifically, right in the middle of marathon weekend,,,,,after most people have made their plans. What don't you get about that?

DizneyRox
11-13-2012, 09:09 PM
SM goes down at what is probably the coldest tie to go down, meaning there's probably less riders than any other time. Taking down a water ride at the height of the summer makes no sense.

Budgets have been slashed, maybe it takes a month because there are now 4 people doing the work of 8. Working for the mouse taught me a few things. One of them is, they think it's cheaper to let things break than prevent them from breaking. And when they do break, guest impact is evaluated before a fix is applied.

It's been evident to me for years there is less being spent on maintenance. Grass isn't cut as often, stuff that was done after hours is now done during normal hours, right in front of guests. I've seen trash inside rides for days (like the guest shoe that was in the underwater diving scene in Mexico for a full week). Call it whatever you want, I fully believe that the reason for these problems boils down to profits.

ChipNDale79
11-14-2012, 08:26 AM
That is silly, and dare I say disingenuous. Once again, and I'll type slowly, the complaint is not that SM goes down for a refurb. It is that it goes down the same time every year. Specifically, right in the middle of marathon weekend,,,,,after most people have made their plans. What don't you get about that?

Doesn't it make sense to close a water ride during the middle of the coldest part of the year? And let's be honest, by now are you really surprised that's its closed when you normally go? Come on guys, you've got choices, if you want to ride splash mountain, then you have 11 other months out of the year to ride it.

It's apparent with everything that's going on with splash, that a lengthy downtime for maintenance is required. When it is closed, are the same people complaining about it being in such bad shape going to complain about it being closed also?

PopPhan
11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
i would like, if I may, to take this conversation in a different direction....Way too much battling back and forth going on right now....

Since the New FantasyLand will be "officially" open as of December 6th, would it not behoove TDO to use this as the perfect time to do an extended rehab on Splash Mountain? Since there will be a number of new, and in their newness "crowd eating", attractions, the loss of Splash for a full year might upset some people who planned well in advance for their trip, but in the long run would be beneficial to the park.

It is not that long ago that Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean were all down for extended periods......Yes, people complained, but their trips weren't ruined.....

Melanie
11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
It is not that long ago that Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean were all down for extended periods......Yes, people complained, but their trips weren't ruined.....

Exactly. As we discuss quite often here on INTERCOT, it happens and is a necessity. Can't please all the folks all the time.

With that said, let's stay on track with the original purpose of this thread, which is the mess that is Splash Mt. and the fact that the lengthy upcoming rehab is greatly needed.

The back and forth at each other needs to cease. :nono:

waymickey
11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I just read yesterday online that Disney has made a big profit over 2011. All parks saw an increase except for Disney World which saw a decline in attendance. Also the resorts had a loss with only 70% or the rooms filled. Disney said this was largely because of the new resort with 2000 additional rooms.

My point is that Disney is making money and raising prices. They will continue to do this and not fix things that need to be fixed as long as people continue to come. Is my vacation ruined because of broken rides and less then spotless parks no. However My vacations have gotten shorter and I don't go as often. I work hard for my money and I expect a certian level of entertainment when I go to Disney. They themselves set that bar so high from the begining and watching them lower the bar and raise the prices just rubs me the wrong way. Do I still love Disney ? Of course but I am starting to like other places a lot more than I used to.

Ed
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Doesn't it make sense to close a water ride during the middle of the coldest part of the year? And let's be honest, by now are you really surprised that's its closed when you normally go? Come on guys, you've got choices, if you want to ride splash mountain, then you have 11 other months out of the year to ride it.

It's apparent with everything that's going on with splash, that a lengthy downtime for maintenance is required. When it is closed, are the same people complaining about it being in such bad shape going to complain about it being closed also?

:ditto:

That sums it up perfectly IMHO.

PirateLover
11-14-2012, 10:17 AM
One thing I have to speak up on is the comparison to DL Splash Mountain. It may not be crumbling but it's not in great shape, either. The AA's look shoddy and drab and the whole thing smells like mold.

joonyer
11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Another thing to remember is that Splash Mountain is one of the largest, longest and most complex attractions at WDW. It has many components , animatronics and features, and is also the most heavily ridden attraction at MK. That does not excuse management from doing proper maintenance, but it is an indicator of how much money it takes to keep this attraction in top operating condition. Splash was the most expensive attraction ever built by Disney at the time of its construction, and it probably takes the most money to maintain, being that it is so complex. So when budget cuts come, they affect Splash dramatically. And it is especially noticeable since so many guests love it and ride it so often. It is a shame that Disney has allowed the best attraction in WDW (IMO) to become so dilapidated and worn down that it is now falling apart. I hope they will make the effort to fully restore it to its original glory.

Buttercup
11-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on tv... :blush: but could it be that Splash has more problems than POTC, or Jungle Cruise, etc. because a lot of the water is "above" the ground?

What I mean is, Jungle Cruise's water is built into the ground, like an inground pool, right?

Whereas, Splash Mountain's rivers sit on top of each other, and on top of open air spaces, etc. All that water flowing through the ride track, plus the boats going through the rivers must weigh A TON. And structurally, I'm only guessing here, but I'm sure it's an engineering feat to hold all that weight of water when there's only open-air spaces underneath it all. So I can understand how parts might crumble on this ride more than on other rides where the water is built into the ground.

As I say though, this is just a rough guess. I could be totally wrong.

SandmanGStefani24
11-14-2012, 07:28 PM

I always travel in winter, and hate that sometimes rides are being rehabbed while I am there, but I know it is for the good of the ride, and the safety of the visitors. I too find the issues with the rides troubling, but hopefully they will get the ship righted quickly. I always have more hope than normal when it comes to WDW. I just keep thinking about POP Legendary Years rotting away being hidden by a thin row of trees and hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better.

tigmickey
11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes Disney needs to make sure that their guests are safe. No one is claiming that Disney is intentionally putting people in harms way.

Having been in the construction industry form more than 25 years I would bet that what is happening is "spalling". This is where concrete "overhardens" and cracks. The branches on ToL and SFTH are meant to move. There is water on all levels of SM. These are 2 things that cause concrete to crack, movement and water. Combine that with the hardening of concrete and you have what is happening.

Is Disney really cheep? I think not. I think they could prioritize their spending better. If I need to reshingle my roof I can not repaint the kitchen. Sorry the kitchen looks shabby. The roof takes priority.

There are realities that budgets dictate.

Tekneek
11-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Is Disney really cheep? I think not. I think they could prioritize their spending better. If I need to reshingle my roof I can not repaint the kitchen. Sorry the kitchen looks shabby. The roof takes priority.

There are realities that budgets dictate.

If you had a billion dollars in profit, you would probably have a lot more flexibility with your maintenance budget. To me, that is the more disturbing aspect.I am suspecting that this massive profitability is at the expense of proper budgeting in at least one area (if not more). We've seen other highly profitable enterprises try to take an approach to maintenance that seems contrary to their actual financial position. It is a bad path to be on.

ChipNDale79
11-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I always travel in winter, and hate that sometimes rides are being rehabbed while I am there, but I know it is for the good of the ride, and the safety of the visitors. I too find the issues with the rides troubling, but hopefully they will get the ship righted quickly. I always have more hope than normal when it comes to WDW. I just keep thinking about POP Legendary Years rotting away being hidden by a thin row of trees and hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better.

Just to clarify, you know pop legendary isn't rotting away anymore?

Roger's #1 Fan
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

I was going to comment as well but thought maybe they were referring to the past....

Splash does need some TLC :(

SandmanGStefani24
11-19-2012, 10:46 PM

no, i have been in a cave on Mars with my fingers in my ears. :D

Just joking, had to use that Simpsons quote there...(when Cecil speaks to his brother Sideshow Bob)

What I was referring to was the fact that it sat there and rotted for years before anything was done. Or the fact that rather than work on it, they planted a row of trees to try to hide it.

ChipNDale79
11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
no, i have been in a cave on Mars with my fingers in my ears. :D

Just joking, had to use that Simpsons quote there...(when Cecil speaks to his brother Sideshow Bob)

What I was referring to was the fact that it sat there and rotted for years before anything was done. Or the fact that rather than work on it, they planted a row of trees to try to hide it.

haha, ok, just making sure.:beer:

kbean
11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Get real people. A boulder of cement isn't gonna fall on ur head. Last thing Disney wants is a easy lawsuit against them fo that. Alil piece of plaster peeled off. Big deal. If it was serious it'd be closed down. If y'all think you can run an amusement park that size better, than go at it. Stop all ur crying. Don't go if u don't like it!

SBETigg
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Now we just need a "back in my day..." grumpy old man post and the thread is complete. Anyone? ;)

TinkerbellT421
11-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Now we just need a "back in my day..." grumpy old man post and the thread is complete. Anyone? ;)

Bah humbug, we used to walk to Disney in the snow with no shoes up hill both ways.

How'd I do? ;)

DizneyRox
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Get real people. A boulder of cement isn't gonna fall on ur head. Last thing Disney wants is a easy lawsuit against them fo that. Alil piece of plaster peeled off. Big deal. If it was serious it'd be closed down. If y'all think you can run an amusement park that size better, than go at it. Stop all ur crying. Don't go if u don't like it!
O RLY? Supposedly a 5 lbs "branch" fell from the top of the Tree of Life. 5 lbs from 60 feet up is enough to kill.

ToL was built in 1998, Splash in 1992. Not sure if it's a stretch that something serious could happen. ToL queue is now covered entirely with large unsightly fishing nets. They don't seem optomistic it's was an isolated incident, what makes us think that this is?

DizneyFreak2002
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
O RLY? Supposedly a 5 lbs "branch" fell from the top of the Tree of Life. 5 lbs from 60 feet up is enough to kill.

ToL was built in 1998, Splash in 1992. Not sure if it's a stretch that something serious could happen. ToL queue is now covered entirely with large unsightly fishing nets. They don't seem optomistic it's was an isolated incident, what makes us think that this is?

Cause it is Disney where everything is practically perfect in every way!!!

If this was just a small tiny piece of cement that fell off or wasn't dangerous to guests, then TDO wouldn't have put up tarps over the queue to catch falling pieces and protect said guests... Oh, and the nets, contrary to popular belief, aren't strong and are pretty weak.... It is to give the mind set of safety instead of doing the right thing and fixing the problems at their source..

DizneyRox
11-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Nothing says safe more than walking under tarps and netting...

Safety Third, really...

ChipNDale79
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

See, people spend a lot of money on a Disney vacation, its not like going to walmart and buying a cheap product off of the shelf. People work hard year round to be able to afford a disney vacation and have come to expect high quality with the large amount of money they spend at WDW. So people have a right to complain.

SBETigg
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Bah humbug, we used to walk to Disney in the snow with no shoes up hill both ways.

How'd I do? ;)

Awesome, Tonya! I bet you also rode Space Mountain seated between someone else's knees with only a thin seatbelt to hold you in.

TinkerbellT421
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Awesome, Tonya! I bet you also rode Space Mountain seated between someone else's knees with only a thin seatbelt to hold you in.

You got that right! Hmmm, that also sounds exactly like my last ride on Tower of Terror....lol!!! :cool:

Gator
12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Got to ride SplashMt two times in a row on Friday. They had some tarps that covered the boarding area. Other than that, I thought the ride itself was in pretty good shape. All the animatronics were moving well, the track was clean, the ride never stopped to tell me "Looks like Brer Bear and Brer Fox are causin' a comotion up the river". Only the laughing place didn't have the jumping water, but I can't remember the last time I saw that.

So the verdict is: SplashMt is NOT literally falling apart. Does it need some TLC? Yip. But I wouldn't call it an embarassment to the company. I'm just glad it was open for me and my kids to ride before it went down. Splash at 90% is better than no Splash at all.

A Big Kid
12-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Splash at 90% is better than no Splash at all.

Any Disney attraction at 90% is no Disney attraction at all.

waymickey
12-10-2012, 10:03 AM

:mickey: Ditto

DizneyRox
12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah, not too long ago it was called Bad Show. Now it's business as usual...

DizneyFreak2002
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, not too long ago it was called Bad Show. Now it's business as usual...

And accepted as status quo by fans... Just don't speak up about it becauee, you know, then you'll be called a hater, doom and gloomer, what have you... No, has nothing to do with wanting to see WDW be the best it can be (and right now, it isn't the best it can be)... And wanting to hold them to the standard they created themselves... ;)

GBBT
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm 47 so ummm...(licks his lips)...in nineteen hundred and seventy six when I was at MK in July watchin the July 4th parade......ummmm.....I don't reckon I recall any refurbishments going on at that time..but I was only a lad of about 11,so I don't think I can member.....:D:D:D

DizneyRox
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
July 4th has usually been free from refurbs (with exceptions, but it's a busy time of year, so more people are inconvenienced)... That's one reason why we used to go in the summer, extended hours, little/no refurbs, and the weather is a known (hot an humid).

They have spread out attendence over the year, so there really are no slow times. There aren't really any high times either it seems. A day here and there, but it seems more constant. Which is good, less staffing fluctuations, etc. Easier to manage a business like that...

Strmchsr
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, Splash is now down for a 3 month refurb. Opening back March 20. Not the 6 month full on refurb I hoped, but hopefully 3 months will allow them to get things back to somewhat normal and not just the band-aid approach they've been using every January. From talking to some of my friends it sounds like they've heard the fans (finally) and are really putting some resources into this refurb. I'll remain a little skeptical, but I also have hope as these friends aren't generally know to steer me wrong.

seanyred
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Well, Splash is now down for a 3 month refurb. Opening back March 20. Not the 6 month full on refurb I hoped, but hopefully 3 months will allow them to get things back to somewhat normal and not just the band-aid approach they've been using every January. From talking to some of my friends it sounds like they've heard the fans (finally) and are really putting some resources into this refurb. I'll remain a little skeptical, but I also have hope as these friends aren't generally know to steer me wrong.

The pictures I saw today showed a decent amount of scaffolding and rock work being removed. So here's to hoping they fix it right.

TinkerbellT421
01-10-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm hoping this takes the path that most refurbs do, start off with a three month deadline and then magically get expanded once they see the true damage. lol. Hoping they get in there and say holy cow, we need a MINIMUM 6 months!

DizneyRox
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm hoping this takes the path that most refurbs do, start off with a three month deadline and then magically get expanded once they see the true damage. lol. Hoping they get in there and say holy cow, we need a MINIMUM 6 months!
Or it can turn into the Yeti, which as far as I recall still hasn't been fixed in years because it's so expensive/involved.

TinkerbellT421
01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Or it can turn into the Yeti, which as far as I recall still hasn't been fixed in years because it's so expensive/involved.

Thanks for the depressing reminder!!! lol

DizneyFreak2002
03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Good news... Splash Mountain has reopened and has been returned to its original glory... EVERYTHING is working as designed... Now, let's hope they keep it this way!!!

TinkerbellT421
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Good news... Splash Mountain has reopened and has been returned to its original glory... EVERYTHING is working as designed... Now, let's hope they keep it this way!!!

:clappy::high5::party2: you mean no more netting!?!?!

The Horned King
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
It's great to hear that things are finally getting sorted!

PirateLover
03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Yup. "The Twitters" are all a buzz about how great it looks. Now, let's hope it stays that way! There are some videos on YouTube already of the refurbished ride through. I will be checking that out later. This ride really needed the love.

BriarRose0708
03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Great news! I saw some pics and video earlier in Twitter and shed a tear or two. It looks amazing and I'm so happy it's back!

JRocker
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
This news has put a smile on my face. I was curious if they took care of it all during the downtime.

Can't wait.:thumbsup:

Tekneek
03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Apparently it is running so well now (and has been running so poorly for so long) that people are seeing effects that they never knew existed before.

DizneyFreak2002
03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
:clappy::high5::party2: you mean no more netting!?!?!

Give it time LoL... I didn't see netting in the videos I saw...

Ian
03-20-2013, 07:38 PM
GREAT news!

I cannot wait to check it out in a month ... hope it looks as good as is rumored!

seanyred
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I watched a video that was posted yesterday. Per the video it seems everything is working properly, Brer Rabbit hops along with you again. The laughing place seems fun again with all the water fountains working. Plus all the animatronics on boat are actually performing.

I couldn't tell if the animation on the wall (the silhouettes of Brer Bear and Brer Fox chasing after Brer Rabbit) is working again. Could anyone there confirm this?

Butters
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Hopefully they keep it in this condition going forward

princessgirls
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah...Splash is back up and running!!!!

Good News!

Julie:mickey:

cer
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
The laughing place seems fun again with all the water fountains working.

My favorite part! :D

Patricia
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm happy to hear that it's back in tip top shape. It's about time. :mickey:

Aurora
03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Happy to hear it! Sad I won't be able to see it for awhile! Hope they keep it up. :mickey:

Davy Crockett
03-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Very happy to hear it has been restored!!!
That ride brings back fond memories of having the Uncle Remus stories read to us as kids and the movies being shown on The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights :thumbsup:. I had to explain to my DD what the ride was all about the first time we rode it when she was 6.

Dopey's Girl
04-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Can't wait to check it out later this month! It's been a long time since I have ridden (my trips always seem to fall in rehab times).

azcavalier
04-02-2013, 09:14 AM
This makes me happy. We took a family of newbies last fall, and their little boy (9yrs) loved Splash Mountain. It was his favorite ride, even in that condition. We thought it was sad, actually, because he hasn't seen it the way it was meant to be seen. *Nothing* in the Laughin' Place was working. He would have loved the jumping water, and the turtles splashing.

*sigh* I guess we'll just have to bring them back for another trip. My DW and I are going in 27 days. I can't wait to see it restored to glory!

mousetrapper
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
So happy to hear this! Excited to see SplMtn in all its glory next month!

:thumbsup:

azcavalier
05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
OK, rode Splash Mountain on Sunday, April 28th. All of the audio-animatronic figures were working. They even fixed up some small details...for example, the porcupine used to have a quill falling across his face. It has bothered me for years. They fixed it!

However, as we went into the Laughin' Place, NONE of the water effects were on. Not the bubbling pots, not the jumping water, not even the water under the turtles. That's the best room in the ride. All of the figures were moving and singing as they should, but without the water, it doesn't look right. Not sure if this isn't fixed yet (they weren't on the last time I rode it back in November), or if they had the effects off for a different reason and I just have bad timing. :(

DizneyFreak2002
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
OK, rode Splash Mountain on Sunday, April 28th. All of the audio-animatronic figures were working. They even fixed up some small details...for example, the porcupine used to have a quill falling across his face. It has bothered me for years. They fixed it!

However, as we went into the Laughin' Place, NONE of the water effects were on. Not the bubbling pots, not the jumping water, not even the water under the turtles. That's the best room in the ride. All of the figures were moving and singing as they should, but without the water, it doesn't look right. Not sure if this isn't fixed yet (they weren't on the last time I rode it back in November), or if they had the effects off for a different reason and I just have bad timing. :(

You are not the only one reporting this... Guess that didn't last long LOL...

azcavalier
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Apparently it is running so well now (and has been running so poorly for so long) that people are seeing effects that they never knew existed before.

Indeed I did. I can't point out specifics, but as we rode through, my wife and I kept saying, "That never moved before, did it?" or "I don't remember those characters making those sound effects."

The laughing place seems fun again with all the water fountains working.

Yeah, I wish. Not this week it wasn't.

I couldn't tell if the animation on the wall (the silhouettes of Brer Bear and Brer Fox chasing after Brer Rabbit) is working again. Could anyone there confirm this?

This was the other effect (besides the Laughin' Place) that was not running. I was willing to give it a pass as long as the Laughin' Place was running. But, alas, it wasn't.

Aurora
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
This was the other effect (besides the Laughin' Place) that was not running. I was willing to give it a pass as long as the Laughin' Place was running. But, alas, it wasn't.

I have no knowledge of any of this stuff, so please bear with me, but how could it break down so soon after being fixed? Is it possible someone just forgot to throw a switch or something????

Ian
05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
From what I know, I believe the jumping fountains effect is turned off and on based on the weather conditions. I think it only runs when it's really hot out and they're trying to soak the guests.

Ride when it's cooler out and ride when it's baking heat ... you'll be amazed how much more soaked you get during the latter ride.

DizneyFreak2002
05-17-2013, 11:27 AM
I have no knowledge of any of this stuff, so please bear with me, but how could it break down so soon after being fixed? Is it possible someone just forgot to throw a switch or something????

The same way things on BTMR and Test Track stop working so soon after a refurb... Once WDI tweaks what needs to be tweaked, they turn it over to Park Ops (or whatever they call it today).. And those managers don't care about show... :)

PirateLover
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
The blast cannons for the big splash are turned off during the colder months, but you don't actually get wet in the Laughing Place. The water effects are just that, effects. I have never gotten wet from them aside from maybe a slight spritz, and I know they were definitely running in December in the past. It's such a disappointment when you get to that scene and none of those effects are on. They really make a difference.

I have only been really soaked on Splash Mountain twice, and both times it was when our boat was waiting to go up the second hill as another boat was making its final descent and the splash cannons were on.

SandmanGStefani24
05-17-2013, 01:19 PM
i kinda see this as a double edged sword.

I don't want to see any WDW attraction running "70%" if you will, and I say WDW has the $$ to make every ride completely functional and running in it's full glory. I don't think there's any excuse for a ride to have parts that aren't right/not working on it. (my post/pic about COP having a scene with dad missing a hand comes to mind)

However....the idea of a ride being down months versus weeks and many more people missing out on a ride they love also is not a great thing either. It's a tough call but one I'm sure they make daily.