PDA

View Full Version : One Place I don't want to see Disney

NJGIRL
11-06-2012, 08:39 PM
When we were at Yellowstone in August we took a private 6 hour tour and we had alot of conversation with our guide who works for Xanterra (the company that runs all the hotels and consessions). I ask him if Xanterra has perpetual rights to run the park and he told me the contract runs for 10 years at a time. It is coming up and he said that other bidders were Aramark & Disney. I hope Xanterra gets it again, they do a great job at running the hotels and kees things like the "old days" IMO. Aramark can't even run a hockey stadium and as much as I love Mickey I don't want to see him at Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon.

MelissaW
11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Gonna have to agree with you on this one! As much as I too LOVE Disney and practically all vacations are spent at the parks - I would have to say that as I branch out to "other experiences" I would like to have those things such as National Parks stay pristine and non-commercialized as possible! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
11-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Interesting! We'll be experiencing Yellowstone for the first time next summer. I've only heard wonderful things! I could see where a change would worry people who love the destination. But, if Disney does get the contract, I'd like to believe they wouldn't change anything.

Stu29573
11-07-2012, 10:18 AM
The way Disney is gobbling up things, I expect them to aquire Europe next (the EU is in such debt, they could get it for a song!)

NJGIRL
11-07-2012, 03:02 PM
But, if Disney does get the contract, I'd like to believe they wouldn't change anything.

You have much more faith in them than I do.

Granny Jill A
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
......as much as I love Mickey I don't want to see him at Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon.

Oh, I agree. Yellowstone is awesome without Disney or Las Vegas or Donald Trump.

Let the National Parks just be......

Gator
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
The way Disney is gobbling up things, I expect them to aquire Europe next (the EU is in such debt, they could get it for a song!)

:D That's pretty funny. They might be able to afford California pretty soon by the same right. :thumbsup:

joonyer
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Interesting! We'll be experiencing Yellowstone for the first time next summer. I've only heard wonderful things! I could see where a change would worry people who love the destination. But, if Disney does get the contract, I'd like to believe they wouldn't change anything.

What, like getting Old Faithful to erupt every half-hour on weekends? Or spurt fireworks at night?
I guess if anybody could do it, then Disney could. :D

buzznwoodysmom
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I have to agree with those who would rather not see Disney take over. As much as I enjoy our Disney vacations, when I vacation at other destinations I do so for a reason. If I wanted Disney then I'd just do Disney vacations.

TheVBs
11-08-2012, 06:49 AM
:D Without a doubt I can understand why people wouldn't welcome it and why they would be worried about changes. But as Joonyer pointed out, the park can't be changed. The hotels could and maybe tours in the park, but not sure what else. Of course, this is coming from someone who's never been there, so I'm just guessing.

Stu29573
11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
:D That's pretty funny. They might be able to afford California pretty soon by the same right. :thumbsup:

Good point!:thumbsup:

c&d
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm guessing that since Xanterra has contracts with other national parks that they will keep it.

Roger's #1 Fan
11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd also keep in mind the "Adventures by Disney" program that offers guided tours and accomodations around the world. These are not Disneyfied trips and this might be their opportunity to run a national park resort where they could expand and have more control over parts of the program.

bruin1344
11-09-2012, 10:00 AM
When we were at Yellowstone in August we took a private 6 hour tour and we had alot of conversation with our guide who works for Xanterra (the company that runs all the hotels and consessions). I ask him if Xanterra has perpetual rights to run the park and he told me the contract runs for 10 years at a time. It is coming up and he said that other bidders were Aramark & Disney. I hope Xanterra gets it again, they do a great job at running the hotels and kees things like the "old days" IMO. Aramark can't even run a hockey stadium and as much as I love Mickey I don't want to see him at Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon.

Hopefully its not Aramark. They have the food at Fenway Park and it is terrible.

Aurora
11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
We've been to a handful of the iconic national parks and Xanterra does a fine job, IMHO. I wouldn't mind if they kept the contract. But if Disney were going to pour some money into park maintenance and services and do more than tours and concessions, I'd root for Disney.

One thing to keep in mind as our national leaders do some fiscal soul-searching over the next few months, is that the National Parks are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of funding and protection. There are very few loud voices standing up for what is available to every single one of us. And right now, the parks are literally in desperate need of funding.

If the National Parks are important to you, you MUST let your legislators know. And if you're wary of corporate involvement in the parks, support the National Park Foundation or an individual national park that you're fond of (all the big ones have their own associations or conservancies).