PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance?

cer
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
So who out there gets trip insurance?

Do you go with what Disney offers, or is there better coverage with an outside company?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this....

Thank you!!!

faline
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I've occasionally gotten trip insurance when I've booked a package. If I book room only, I typically do nto take such insurance.

RedSoxFan
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I have in the past; but did not last year or for our trip next week.

1DisneyNut
11-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I never buy it. Vacation insurance is generally viewed as a rip off. Basically, just know the terms of your reservation and pay particular attention to the cancellation policy. Disney is very good about refunding your deposit and not charging you if a situation out of your control arises. One example would be the recent disaster in the North East. I have seen numerous examples of people who Disney allowed to cancel their reservations at the last minute due to the storm.

The only way I would ever buy vacation insurance would be if I was going on an expensive vacation overseas and it had a cancellation policy or terms that could beat me up pretty bad. For example, if I had to put a deposit down or guarantee the reservation with a credit card and it had a cancellation window greater than about a week or two. I figure that anything less than two weeks the odds of something coming up are pretty slim. It would pretty much have to be a medical type of situation.

However, it is up to you and what you are comfortable with so weigh the benefits and risks carefully. I would look at what the deposit or cancellation fee is and weigh that against the cost of the Travel Insurance. If a late cancellation will cost you say a $300 deposit and the Travel insurance costs say $200, whoopity doo; you might have a loss of $100 vs. saving $200.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't by travel insurance for our Disney trips, since even if you cancel at the last minute, you can get most (except $200) of your money back, or reschedule.

I figure that the travel insurance would cost the same as the cancellation penalty, and we already have medical coverage, etc through work.

gerald72
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
No insurance for me. I don't think it gets you anything that you don't already have.

BigRedDad
11-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I don't by travel insurance for our Disney trips, since even if you cancel at the last minute, you can get most (except $200) of your money back, or reschedule.

This is my philosophy as well.

BrerGnat
11-07-2012, 08:25 AM
It really depends on your trip itself, how much it cost, your family situation, and the cancellation policy.

Generally, I don't book packages for WDW, so I never buy trip insurance.

For cruises and other "no refund" type all inclusive vacations, it's almost a necessity to buy travel insurance. We bought it for our Dream cruise in August.

It's really a personal call. How much risk are you comfortable taking?

TexansInNY
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Agree in general - never buy it - reminds me of fabric guard option on furniture..

Gator
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
To me, it's only worth it if it covers air travel. It usually doesn't. I've only had it on my first trip. I may get it on future trip, becasue with what's about to happen to the health industry where I work, I can't guarantee that the job will be there. That's the only reason to really get it - if you can't say for sure you'll be able to afford it when the time comes.