Head to Magic Kingdom
Perhaps visit the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower

Plan for Thursday, October 24, 2012
Epcot
Visit Epcot’s Chase Lounge
Partake of the Food and Wine Festival Offerings
California Grill for dinner

Thursday, October 25, 2012
We arrived yesterday and have had two quite nice touring days. Our JetBlue flight left Boston at 6:30 a.m. yesterday morning and arrived in Orlando at 9:30. Our luggage was just about the last out but it took no time at all to pick up our Thrifty rental car. Since we figured our room would not be ready until later in the day, we decided we would go directly to the resort and go out later in the day for needed groceries.

We arrived at Saratoga Springs – a resort we are not at all familiar with. In fact, we drove past the check-in building (It’s not very well marked) and also drove by the entrance to our section of the resort when we first headed to our rom!! Surprisingly, a room was ready for us right away. We’re in the Paddock Section which is very near to Downtown Disney.

To continue our feeling of being newbies, we had trouble figuring out how to unlock the door of our room! There is no place to insert the card. Just as we’re about to give up, Gene held the card up to the Mickey emblem on the door and the light flashes green – allowing us access.

The plan was to go to Magic Kingdom and hopefully be able to get into the Plaza for lunch. We’re hungry so decide to unpack later. Since we are unfamiliar with the resort, we made our first mistake in heading for the bus stop. We went to the Paddock bus stop which was quite a long walk from our room. Along the way, two Magic Kingdom busses passed us by so we knew it would likely be a while before we saw another. We finally got to the bus stop and figured out that there must be another closer to our room location. By this time, we were very hungry and getting grumpy so hopped on the Downtown Disney bus that came by – we’ll go to Earl of Sandwich. That was a wise choice. Sure enough, Congress Park, a bus stop much closer to our building was our next stop. We’ll be using that stop from now on.

Since we were at Downtown Disney, we decided to go to guest relations and buy annual pass vouchers to activate next year under the special being offered to Vacation Club owners. There were several folks in front of us in line and it moved slowly. Two gentlemen in front of us spent a long time talking with the cast members about their annual pass options. She explained about the special for owners but after even more discussion, they walked away without making any purchase at all. We got our vouchers and decided to try walking home. While we were checking in, the person at the desk explained how to walk from our resort to Downtown Disney to our resort. Pretty easy and not too far away.

Since hunger was no longer a factor when we got back to our room, we decided we would unpack and head out to buy a few groceries for the room. Unpacking done, we went to a Winn-Dixie that was just a short distance away. That done, we returned the car to our resort and set out to try again to get to the Magic Kingdom. This time, we went to the correct bus stop. Our error, though, was to exit through the front of our building which made the walk much longer than it would have been had we exited through the rear of our building.

We entered the Magic Kingdom around 2:30 p.m. Wow! Look at all the people – this place is really busy and crowded. We headed to Peter Pan and picked up fast passes for 6:20 p.m. which we ended up not using. We were able to walk into Mickey’s PhilharMagic and take a spin on the Carousel. We passed by Pooh (50 minute standby), Mad Tea Party (15 minute standby) Dumbo (40 minute standby) and the Barnstormer (20 minute standby). Even the train station was crowded and we were unable to get on the train that was at the station as we approached as it was full. We were able to get on the next one and did a full circle on the train. Surprisingly, the Speedway line was only about 20 minutes long so we did that. I’m always surprised by how much I enjoy this rather silly attraction. The line for Space Mountain was too long and there was even a line to get on the Peoplemover but we did that. We walked right into Carousel of Progress and only waited 15-20 minutes for Buzz. Stitch was, of course, a walk-on. We were going to go to Monsters Inc but they literally closed the door to the pre-show area in our faces. While the crowds built up behind us, we decided to leave the park.

We walked over to Bay Lake Tower. Gene had never been to the lounge and, since they’ve opened it up to all owners, I wanted him to get a chance to check it out. I thought it might be getting crowded as evening was approaching and I thought lots of folks would be heading there so watch the fireworks. Nope – not crowded at all. Someone had the good idea to move the tall tables and stools to along the window so those seats actually provide a view while you are seated. Several were empty when we arrived so we settled at one of those tables. We had a couple of drinks and dined on appetizers which ended up being our dinner. I was disappointed to find that the BLT flatbread is no longer on the menu but the beef and mushroom flatbread was quite good. We also had the cheese plate and the pretzels. By then, it was around 8 and we decided to head home.

Reversed our walk from earlier and got on a bus headed back to Saratoga Springs. Gene wanted to shower and I decided I would take advantage of the whirlpool tub so wanted to get a magazine to read (would be afraid of dropping the Nook in the tub)! A couple on the bus helped us figure out that we wanted to get off at The Springs to get to the store. I figured we were quite some distance from there and was going to wait for a bus but Gene convinced me to walk it. As it turns out, the walk wasn’t that long.

Had a couple of showers during the day – all short lived and did not even need rain gear.
Today, we woke around 7:30. By time we got moving and had our coffee, it was around 9:30 before we got to the bus stop. The weather this morning was lovely but clouds and wind moved in later in the day – compliments of Hurricane Sandy, I’m sure.

We started with Spaceship Earth which only had a five minute wait. Park was relatively uncrowded all day. Got on Mission:Space – another five minute wait and then headed to the Festival Center. Wandered around and looked at all the merchandise. Found two cookbooks I don’t already own so bought those. Visited the Chase Lounge; had a coke and then decided to head out into World Showcase. Gene got a Blue Moon Seasonal from the Craft Beers station. We both got Kalua Pork Sliders in Hawaii and I added a seven Tiki Mai Tai to that – much stronger than it tasted!! In Ireland, I got the lobster and seafood fisherman’s platter. Gene bought a Bass Ale in the pub and surprisingly there was a table available inside the pub. While there were other appealing dishes along the way, I waited until we got to China to get Potstickers. Gene & I both got beers in Mexico. Had a nice conversation with a woman from Nevada who is leaving tomorrow. We sat and relaxed and finished our beers.

Visited the Seas with Nemo and communed with that cool dude, Crush!! Our last ride was Living with the Land. We visited Mousegears and then headed home. By this time, it was sprinkling off and on. After we arrived home, we had a heavy rain shower.

To be continued......

SBETigg
11-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Great times, even with crowds. Sounds like you had an especially lovely time around World Showcase, with maybe less congestion than we hit on Saturday.

AgentC
11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Enjoying the details on Saratoga. I've never stayed there. Sorry about the MK congestion but it sounds like you had a great day at Epcot.

I'm glad I got to meet you even if it was on our last day. Next time we'll have to talk "Melrose" more. :)

vizsla
11-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the report.

faline
11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds like you had an especially lovely time around World Showcase, with maybe less congestion than we hit on Saturday.

Yes, it was far less crowded than it was on Saturday!!

faline
11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm glad I got to meet you even if it was on our last day. Next time we'll have to talk "Melrose" more. :)

For sure!! It was good to meet both you and your husband!!

yjgirl32
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks for sharing.

NJGIRL
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It's alwayys nice to try a new resort. It was great meeting you & Gene!

faline
11-07-2012, 09:14 AM
It's alwayys nice to try a new resort. It was great meeting you & Gene!

We enjoyed meeting you and your husband as well!

emerzmom
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I have always enjoyed your Trip Reports. They are full of the little details that make me feel like I am "along for the ride" :mickey:
Thanks so much....on to the next report...
:tink:
Julie

princessgirls
11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Your first day was off to a GREAT start Linda!!

Julie:mickey:

DisneyDawgette
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Oh, the Kahlua pork slider was my favorite! Just hearing about it makes me want another! :D

Loved reading your report! :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Very nice start to your trip. We recently returned and enjoyed the F&W festival as well, the crowds that we encountered made the Word Showcase a busy place but the lines for the dining and drink options moved along very well.

pdrlkr
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DizNee143
11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
I haven't been on intercot in a couple of weeks..I almost missed your trip report.
I always enjoy reading about your trips
Sounds like a pretty good first two days. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a great day, everything sounded delicious:)