PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo: Mr. Ray should be fired

Mendelson
11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
So now that my son is old enough to start watching movies, I've seen Nemo about 100 times in the past couple of months and am noticing things I might have let pass before. I have issues with one particular character....

MR RAY IS A GOOD-FOR-NOTHING TEACHER!

Imagine if a first-grade teacher took a bunch of students on a field trip near the most dangerous part of town, let a few of them wander off, and then one gets kidnapped and nearly killed. Would that guy keep his job??? No! Yet at the end of the movie, there he still is, putting little fish at risk every day.

Other things that annoy me about him: after Marlin shows up and finds the kids at the drop off, Mr. Ray wanders over...does he think to apologize? Is he horrified? No. In fact, he says, inexplicably, that Nemo is "safe with me." ??? He also says to Marlin when he sees him and Nemo arguing, "Is there anything I can help with? After all, I am a scientist." ?? Non-sequitur!

Also when Nemo first gets to school Mr. Ray says that before getting on board he has to answer a science question. Then he asks him what kind of home he lives in. Not science!

In short, an irresponsible, distracted, tone-deaf, careless, [edited per TOS] shipwreck of a teacher! In the sequel I hope he ends up in someone's soup.

(This is all, I hope you recognize, tongue-in-cheek.)

SBETigg
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Ah, yes, the signs of watching a few too many times aka having kids. But you're right, of course. Terrible teacher.

I found similarities in the parenting style of Marlin and King Triton. If they had only explained possible dangers instead of just saying "don't do that," they might have saved a load of trouble. At least Bambi's mom let Bambi know why they avoided man, and then she had to go demonstrate. Oh, I'm going to cry now.

Itchy
11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Boy! The whole thing sounds fishy to me...:blush:

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
:thumbsup: Great point! There are a lot of clueless and/or missing adults in Disney movies, but I think Mr. Ray takes the cake. As a teacher, I'm always on edge when I take kids on field trips. I count and recount over and over. Seems to me he's more like your goofy uncle that your mom is always getting fed up with than a trusted educator.

TinkerbellT421
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Sounds like Mr. Ray may be better as sushi! Pass the chopsticks!