PDA

View Full Version : Rumours of My Fictitiousness Have Been Slightly Exaggerated: Part1

Figment!
10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Rumours of My Fictitiousness Have Been Slightly Exaggerated
Figment!'s ICOT 15 Dining Reviews
Part One

Day one

Lunch: Wolfgang Puck Cafe Express- Downtown Disney Marketplace

Downtown Disney was my first stop of the trip. After encountering a much longer line than expected for 2:00 on a Tuesday at Earl of Sandwich, I opted for my adjacent second choice. Had the meatball wood-fired pizza and a brownie for dessert. I'm a fan of wood-fired pizzas and found this one to be up-to-par. The restaurant was very quiet and had lots of seating available for a late lunch. Wolfgang Puck Express continues to be a good plan B for me when I don't feel like waiting 30 minutes and then fighting my way for a table at Earl of Sandwich next door.

Pre-Dinner: The Outer Rim - Disney's Contemporary Resort

Had some time before Dinner, so I went up to the Outer Rim. I did experience, as I had read, many Guests waiting for their Chef Mickey reservation in the lounge area. Despite this extra crowding, I was able to find a spot in the back near the bar with a good view out the window. Had the Kona Longboard Lager, it was a nice, crisp beer to enjoy while looking out at Bay Lake.

Dinner: The Wave- Disney's Contemporary Resort

First time dinning at this relatively new location. As I walked down the illuminated hallway, I could still see images of the Food & Fun center in my mind. Those images quickly faded as I approached the new swanky check-in and lounge area. I checked in and waited probably about 10 minutes for my 5:40 reservation. Upon being seated I received a spiel about the organic offerings available and that no food is fried. After a quick review of the menu I settled on the Lamb shank with couscous. The lamb was extremely juicy and literally fell of the bone and the couscous was also tasty. For dessert I opted for the "creamy" dessert sampler. This included a chocolate mouse, butterscotch crème brulee, and New York cheesecake. The crème brulee was fantastic, I have never had a butterscotch version before, but I will definitely be looking for it now. The cheesecake and the mousse were both a little too rich for my pallet, but I still enjoyed nibbling on them. As a extra glimmer of indulgence, the chocolate mousse came with a flake of edible gold. The atmosphere was a little darker than what I enjoy. Although I can appreciate the mood and ambience created, it was verging on not quite seeing my food in the right light. The meal here was very good and the server was attentive, this is definitely a place I will return to on future trips.

Day Two

Lunch: Backlot Express-Disney's Hollywood Studios

Backlot Express is a must do for me every trip. It is not high on my culinary criteria, but the atmosphere is an icon I can't miss. Every time I dine there I am finding new details in the props and scenes around the seating area. With the basic staples here I chose the Chili Dog as I thought I would take a divergence from the ubiquitous burger fare. The hot dog and chili were what I expected from a Disney quick service location, although the bun was not as soft as I expected. I ended up cutting up the hot dog and eating it with the chili without the bun. In addition to the re-fill station, another beverage plus for me was Sprite Zero in the options.

Snack: Sweet Spells-Disney's Hollywood Studios

In between rides on the Tower of Terror, I stopped in at the corner of Sunset Blvd. for a quick treat. After perusing the case of confections, I settled on the Mouse Ear Brownie. I'm a sucker for anything with mickey ears, and a chocolate covered brownie sounded fantastic. The dome shaped brownie was coated in chocolate and had two chocolate disks creating the ears. The treat was quite delicious and a good sugar rush to keep me moving through the Studios.

Dinner: Sanna - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Got to the resort a little ahead of my 6:20 reservation, so I decided to view the savanna for the Kidani Village section. The view was spectacular; saw a herd of zebras, several ostriches, and several yak-type animals all in perfect view. After watching the zebras play for a while, I went downstairs to the restaurant. I would highly recommend that any diners here plan for some extra time before or after their meal to enjoy the savanna from the viewing balcony off the lobby. Upon being seated I came to find that my views did not end with the change of location. Sanna has massive windows that look out onto a section of the savanna, while I ate I saw several giraffes walk by. For dinner here I choose the beef short ribs, butter chicken, and 5 grain rice. The food was good, although the portions of meat were a little less than what I expected--I soon found myself with more than half the rice left and all the meat eaten. I am aware that many eastern dishes have a low protein to carbohydrate ratio, but it still seemed off to me. Any lack of sustenance from the entree was quickly quelled by the decadent banana sundae I had for dessert. The square slab of banana ice cream came with a chocolate sauce filled divot and some seasoned nuts. The server here was also very attentive and was great with describing the dishes.

SBETigg
10-31-2012, 07:49 PM
He exists! I got to spend some time with Jason, and he's a very cool guy. So glad we met. I love Sanaa and I want to try the Wave.

Thanks for reporting! Butterscotch creme brulee, ohhh.

Figment!
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
I should mention that I was on the dinning plan for this trip, otherwise I would not have normally had dessert with most meals. :blush:

He exists! I got to spend some time with Jason, and he's a very cool guy. So glad we met.It was great to meet you too, Sherri. :mickey:

BriarRose0708
10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I can also vouch for his existence, although I don't think we had a lot of time to talk it was really nice meeting you!

Great reviews! The Wave sounds nice!

Melanie
11-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the reviews Jason! I too was glad to finally meet you. So glad you came!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Yum, everything sounds great

AgentC
11-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I enjoyed meeting you.

steamboat willy
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
We also intended on The Earl, but were very pleased with our lunch at WP Express on our check-out day last year. I had the wood burning pizza (pepperoni), DW had the meatloaf/mash potatoes and grandson had chicken strips. ALL really really good. A definite on our December trip this year.
Never done the WAVE, but sure do miss CONCOURSE STEAK!

Always LOOKING for something at DS ??? Hardest Park for a CS meal.

Your Animal Kingdom Lodge experience sounds really neat, hope to make a visit here also.

See you in 38 days! :santa::tree::santa:

Figment!
11-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Part 2, during the official ICOT 15 dates, should be up in a day or so.

I can also vouch for his existence, although I don't think we had a lot of time to talk it was really nice meeting you!

I too was glad to finally meet you.

I enjoyed meeting you.
It was a pleasure meeting you lovely ladies, as well!

SBETigg
11-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I have actually been in the Wave for drinks, not eating, and I could still imagine the Food and Fun Center too. It is kind of a dark space. Though still on my list of places to try.

PirateLover
11-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Great reviews! I appreciate your descriptive details. I have never tried any of those items, except a pizza at Wolfgang Puck and that was a decade ago. (PS add me to the list of people who enjoyed meeting you!)

January-2007
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
My husband got the meatball and peppers pizza at Wolfgang Puck Express and it was sooo good. Thanks for all the reviews!!

MelissaW
11-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I should mention that I was on the dinning plan for this trip, otherwise I would not have normally had dessert with most meals. :blush:

I, on the other hand, will always opt for dessert - dining plan or not! :eat:

It was great to meet you too Jason!

azcavalier
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Awesome! We have ADRs for lunch at Sanaa in about ten days, and my DW and I are going to try the Wave in April during our anniversary trip.

Figment!
11-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Awesome! We have ADRs for lunch at Sanaa in about ten days If you hunt for hidden mickey's, make sure to check out the back wall of the restaurant. :mickey:

It was great to meet you too Jason!

add me to the list of people who enjoyed meeting you!

It was great to meet both of you, also! :)

wdwfansince75
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Happy Birthday!
Thanks for all your great info...I knew you were real along. No virtual person would know so much real stuff.

Figment!
11-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Part Two is now posted here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2317240#post2317240). :mickey: