PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking which park to go to each day?

missastrocat
10-29-2012, 09:23 PM
11 days, 43 minutes, and 19 seconds to go as I write this post...

I thought I was the best thing since sliced bread when knowing how to map out what days to visit each of the parks during my vacation. But then I kept researching, reading, and finding new "statistics/info" on what would be the most recommended parks to go to each day based on projected #s.

I've mapped out roughly what parks to go to based on the EMH as my DH and I are both night owls and will stay until the parks kick us out. Based on the times of theme park closing, I made our ADRs. Based on what I've read recently, I feel like I've made some mistakes along the way.

Am I overthinking this? Part of me thinks I just need to stick to what I have planned, but be flexible to what we actually feel like doing when we get there/wake up. Part of me thinks it could be possible to have an even better time if we pick out the parks with the lowest crowds.

What would you do? Thanks for listening, understanding, giving advice, etc. :mickey:

DisneyGlutton
10-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, you can totally overthink your itinerary. This is the easiest (and most dangerous) trap I fall into each time I go to WDW. This time, I kept it as simple as possible. We basically did what you did: based our ADRs on EMH, as we are night owls too. This has worked out well for us in the past and hope it does again in December.

taleasoldastime
10-29-2012, 11:53 PM
I know what youre feeling cause I feel the same way. I keep thinking "will this vacation be horrible?" "have I missed important things?" But I just have to remind myself that I have been many times before and it has always been a great trip. There is no reason this one shouldnt be just as good.
im sure your situation is the same. It seems like you are a well educated and experienced disney goer. Your trip will be just as good as it has always been. Dont stress yourself out with second guessing! Worst case scenario is that its crowded and you cant do everything that you wanted. Even if that does happen i'm sure you will be back again considering you love disney so much.
just dont worry yourself into a frenzy. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

the other micki
10-30-2012, 12:56 AM
I think you are going at a really good time, so I wouldn't overthink the crowds. I always tell myself that it's not about how much we do, but that we enjoy each other while doing the things we can do!

SBETigg
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
This is why I like hopping and having reliable apps. I plan, but sometimes things change and if a park seems to be the one that everyone headed to on any given day, I can check wait times and decide if I want to hop to a different park. Of course, ADRs can keep us anchored to a park sometimes, depending. But you can also change ADRs or make new ones with the My Disney Experience app.

The times when people would say they don't bring their phone to parks seems to have changed. I usually don't use it for anything but the occasional check on wait times or ADRs, or if I'm separated from my party, but it's very handy to have with me. I no longer have to rely on being at a ride or at one of the wait times boards to see what waits are going to be.

buzznwoodysmom
10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, I think your overthinking it. Just go and have fun. Some of the best times in WDW are those that weren't planned so much.

If you don't have hoppers and are night owls then sticking with the evening EMH parks is your best bet.

If you have hoppers I'd start out in a park without the evening EMH then hop to the EMH park in the late afternoon/early evening.

I find the parks to be the least crowded in the mornings are parks that had EMH the night before. Most people don't repeat a park first thing in the morning if they did that park the night before, especially if they stayed really late.

Enjoy your trip!

missastrocat
10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and making me feel at ease with my plans. I am keeping my current ADRs and park plans, but I do like the idea of park hopping half way through the day. We will have park hopper tickets, so that won't be a problem at all.

I'm so excited about going, but sometimes that excitement turns to anxiety.

Tigerinvestigator
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Plan all you want, because it is fun and builds anticipation. But remember to relax and enjoy your vacation. We always plan but never stick to it. By the second or third day we usually go with the first boat/bus/monorail that shows up at the resort. If a park is too crowded, go with plan b. I think the biggest thing people do wrong is not making time for rest/relaxation in their plans. Nothing like a tired or even exhausted grouchy family to make for a fun day in a hot or crowded theme park!:thumbsup:

CMCTxMom
10-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Of course, ADRs can keep us anchored to a park sometimes, depending. But you can also change ADRs or make new ones with the My Disney Experience app. .

To a point... but now they charge you $10 per person if you cancel your ADR within 24 hours, or if you don't show, don't they? So you still have to plan ahead...