PDA

View Full Version : surprise idea

JacobsMama
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Our son is turning 13 and we are taking him to Disney as a surprise. We have told him we're going to Great Wolf Lodge so he knows theres a trip. I want to know when or how we should let him know we've tricked him and I want to get it on tape. He will be over the moon happy and we're all excited. His birthday is around Thanksgiving. Thanks!

DisneyDawgette
10-29-2012, 12:32 AM
We did something similar with my little sister. On the day we told her, it was her birthday, and she had no idea we were going anywhere, but all day we had things that alluded to the trip. Lots of Mickey shaped things, like Mickey pancakes, and little Disney candies, Disney music, etc... At the end of the night, she had one gift left to open, and it was a Mickey Mouse plush toy holding a sign that said, "See ya real soon!"

Then we told her. And it was an awesome reaction! :)

faline
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
There have been a number of posts discussing how to surprise kids with a Disney World trip. You might try searching the Vacation Planning forum for the word surprise. Another forum to search would be the Trip Reports forum.

It's a bit easier to pull off with younger kids who can't read or don't pay that much attention to their surroundings pre-arrival - more difficult to do with a 13 year old. You probably need to think about unveiling the surprise at home before you set out on the road for your trip.

A scavenger hunt with clues around the house might be one thing to think about.

ginger19
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I've done it a few ways but there are some people here who are far more creative.

For my kids who are 9 and 7 they are coming home to their bags packed with the yellow ME tags on them, airline tickets, t shirts, autograph books all waiting for them. We are telling them the afternoon before we leave to give them time to be excited, pack a bag for the plane ride and get to bed early.

One year I did mickey ears from their rooms all they way down to the christmas tree with a letter from santa, luggage tags, intineraries, etc. Another year I got helium balloons and stuffed them in a giant box. Each balloon had a different message. When they opened the box, the balloons flew out and they had to run around the kitchen to collect and read them. That was a fun one to watch.

I have had to collect the mail every day to make sure that they don't see anything from disney!!! Good luck!

BigRedDad
11-06-2012, 08:40 AM
For my DD who will be 7, we are keeping it completely quite. She will be at school and we are pulling her out for 2 days (saves us about $400). I will pick me DW and DD at the school with bags packed and ready to go. We will have to tell her right then because she is extremely observant and inquisitive. She will know something is up. I will also need that 2 hours to settle her down for flying. She doesn't mind flying, but the ascent and descent get her. The air pressure messes with her something fierce. But, we always play the game: plane, train (monorail at MCO), bus, and bed. It doesn't take much to get her settled and there is usually other families flying down at the same time. She has a new friend there to talk and play with.

caryrae
11-08-2012, 02:42 PM
How about using those free customized maps you can get on the Disney website in some way? http://customizedmaps.disney.go.com/?CMP=ILC-WDWFY12Q4Cmaps0002