PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going to DTD?

Gator
10-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious what everyone thinks about DTD these days. I remember eating at Rainforest Cafe on our first trip, and we hit World of Disney the first 3 trips. But since then, I just don't feel the need to take time away from the parks or relaxing at the resort to go down there. Seems I can find everything I want at all the other shops around WDW. Plus, there really isn't a great pull from any other shop or restaurant for us to return.

What do you think? Do you go downtown anymore, and if you do, what gets you down there?

CMCTxMom
10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm interested too... There are a few shops (WOD, the Christmas and kitchen stores...) that I would like to see, but I'm planning family trips in January and in June and can't decide where (or IF) to sacrifice park (or swim) time for DTD...

Strmchsr
10-26-2012, 03:58 PM
We usually go once. My kids love the lego store, Ragland Rd is great to eat at, and we enjoy the kitchen store, the sports store, the Christmas store, and Art of Disney. While there are some items from those stores elsewhere, that's the biggest concentration and they have unique items in those places we usually don't see elsewhere in the parks.

Quadstriker
10-26-2012, 04:52 PM
The following list is the reasons it's worthwhile for me to go to Downtown Disney.

1. Raglan on Sunday nights for real live Irish music played by Johnny and Justin.

That's it.

Maleficent_vf
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
We try to save most of our souvenir shopping for the DTD visit, so we typically go on one of our last days. The "shopping day" usually starts later, with a nice table service breakfast. The bulk of the day is at DTD and the evening we head to MK or Epcot for the evening fireworks.

We do a lot of window shopping in the parks throughout our visit (but not much buying) so we usually have a good idea what's out there and you can find most of it at WoD - though there have been a few times we had to make a quick run back to a park because the "must have" wasn't available anywhere else.

Janmac
10-26-2012, 06:28 PM
We used to plan one shopping trip near the end of our stay but in the last 3 or 4 trips we've been once. We don't do as much shopping as we used to. And, somehow, the closing of Pleasure Island kinda took away our interest in going over to DD.

One trip to DD was for the opening of a Harry Potter movie that coincided with our arrival day. While everyone else went to see that movie (no clue which it was) DH and I went to Walmart for some stuff. This was maybe in 2004.

We must have gone twice to DD that trip because we also went to Disney Quest one mid-day for a few hours. The early teens in our group had a good time but no one ever asked to go back.

Another planned trip - eventually - is for Cirque de Soleil. And there is Splitsville which might require a look see at some point.

Jan

DizneyRox
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Haven't gone in years... Since everything is the same all over property, there's no real need in my opinion.

tiggerbuddy
10-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Not worth losing pool/park time:mickey:

Lindsey310
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
We usually head down on arrival day. We aren't going to waste a park pass on a 1/2 day so we usually hit some of the shops and eat at planet Hollywood.

We were really a big fan of adventurers club and the comedy show and to venture over that way and see the buildings deserted is kind of depressing. We usually stay away from pleasure island. Are they ever going to do something with this area?? :mickey:

taleasoldastime
10-26-2012, 08:03 PM
I love DTD because I am a girl and I am a shopaholic. I can look at the same souvenirs over and over and not get bored. I also just like "kanoodling" and then taking a lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express.
If youre not a shopaholic girl like me I can see why you would not be into it.

chellbell
10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
We usually stop by just when we get there or leave. There's not much there you couldn't get in the parks. But there are a few neat places there. There's a bath store (if your familiar with a store call Lush, it's kinda similar and has a very strong smell even when you walk by), the Christmas, kitchen, glass/jewelry and sport stores are pretty cool. With kids though, I'm sure they might like a pool day or a park better. Not really much anything else there to help entertain kids for a whole day. Even as an adult, it's fun for a few hours, then I'm ready to do something else.

1DisneyNut
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
We used to go one night while at WDW so we could go to Adventurers Club. We would eat at one of the restaurants while there. Since they closed the club, we very rarely go to DTD anymore.

Capt_redshirt
10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I went a few times the last trip partially to enjoy raglan road.. im a pin and vinylmation trader so i enjoy going to the pin trader spot and WOD. I also enjoy going to lego store but thats just me

bruin1344
10-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Not worthwhile for me because I hate shopping, they got rid of pleasure island, and I feel like I lose the Disney mindset that I enjoy at the parks and resorts. I always end up there because usually someone I go with wants to go shopping. I may go to check out Raglan Road because people on intercot generally praise it.

TexasRoni
10-28-2012, 06:01 PM
It's been a tradition for us to visit DTD on each trip, but like the PP, we find we are spending less and less time there every vacation. We now go on our last day in Florida after using all our hopper pass days (not worth missing park time). We typically get there pretty early so we get a good parking spot, take pictures outside of World of Disney and Lego store, wander the shops, pick up an item for my mom at the kitchen store, have pizza at Wolfgang Puck Express, have an ice cream at Ghiradelli and then start the drive home.

Gator
10-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Sounds like I'm in common company. DTD just doesn't seem the seem anymore.

DisneyDawgette
10-29-2012, 12:47 AM
I would be upset if we did not go on arrival night, and departure morning.

Raglan Road for dinner... I won't ever, ever miss it again. It's incredible. Bongo's coffee, and Ghiridelli sundae also make the docket for arrival night.

Departure morning is strictly for last minute shopping! World of Disney and Team Disney are the two most frequented areas of the Marketplace, but in order to stall the leaving process, we walk to other shops as well.

I love DTD. It's still charming. It's still clean. And Raglan Road... Well, you just have to go to understand.

Cheshire_Girl
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I love DtD. I never got to experience Pleasure Island so I don't miss it.
If you or anyone in your group is a pin or vinylmation trader, then DtD is a spot not to miss. If you like to shop until you drop, don't miss it..otherwise-spend more time in the parks.

minnie04
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I think it's our must do on all trips. I don't really know why, but we always end up there at least once. I guess you can say it’s just the atmosphere of something Disney. We usually go the day we are leaving. Just in case the kids want anything or ME actually...lol. I'm the one that loves going in the World of Disney Store... This time I totally forgot to get what I had waited all this time to get. :( My camera strap for my big camera. :mad:. Oh well next time. I guess I was overwhelmed with all things Disney!!!:mickey:

BrerGnat
10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
We usually end up going at least once every trip. However, it's always because we have nothing else to do, or it's a "no park" day. I would not sacrifice park time for it myself, but my kids would. They LOVE the Lego Store, Ghirardelli, and the T-Rex restaurant (now). So, I think we will probably continue to keep going there. There are some unique shops that you can't find elsewhere on property.

Altair
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Sure it's worth it, it's free.:mickey:

Lizzie
10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
It's worth the trip just for earl of sandwhich

steamboat willy
10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
We plan a stop at DTD as part of our trip. We also enjoyed the AC...Kongalush! :marg:

Now we still enjoy an evening meal at Rainforest Cafe'...We love the Adventure. Last year and our last free CS was at Wolfgang Pucks EXPRESS on our check-out day. One of the best we ate. Right up there with The Pepper Market.

We enjoy a FREE night time stroll around "The Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village", YES I'm dating myself.

We usually have a free day anyway!

40 DAYS. :santa::tree::santa:

DizneyRox
10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Sure it's worth it, it's free.:mickey:
How did that work out for Pleasure Island?;)

Granny Jill A
10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
We always go on our last day, starting with a nice breakfast and then busing it to DTD. I have found there is less to buy than in previous years. Not enough unique, WDW-only items, IMHO.

DTD is nice if you stay at POFQ or Riverside because it gives you options for eating someplace besides the resorts.

epceddie
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
We don't go to the parks as much anymore, so we love visiting DTD. Wolfgang Puck Express is one of our favorite lunch spots, my wife loves the Christmas shop, and I enjoy shopping at Team Disney.
We just like to walk around, relax, and people watch. There's also a store that sells stuff for $10 or less and we like stopping by there.
The only downside is parking. It can be a real battle to find a parking spot at certain times of the year, especially at night.

PinKy
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Since they closed Pleasure Island there really isn't much to do there anymore. We usually get a sitter and hit the resort bar/restaurant instead. It used to be much more of a destination and its more of like a mall now. We live in a really urban area so that isn't really a draw for us. We would rather see a show, cabaret, go to a dance hall (boardwalk), etc. There are two pretty awesome restaurants there, but that's about it. We do really enjoy Disney Quest - it's pretty awesome.

jillluvsdisney
12-08-2012, 07:18 PM
We always have non park days so we like to hit DTD for lunch at HOB or Earl of Sandwich.

I really like Pin Traders because of the ginormous selection and World of Disney has a pretty awesome selection of EVERYTHING!!

Becca3557
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
We enjoy it. We especially love the Christmas Shop, Goofy's Candy Store, the Disney Store and Team Mickey. We will go to Earl of Sandwich for a bite (sometimes we take it home for later) and maybe Ghiradelli's for a sweet treat or a sample. Or pick up a Wetzel's Pretzel and enjoy the lovely waterfront. :mickey:

It is fun to walk around the lake. Check out the Disney Lego characters and people watch. It's a healthy stretch of the legs.

phillydan
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
We try to go once during each trip - usually on the day we visit Animal Kingdom. We know we will be wrapping up our day by mid-afternoon, so I will book one of the restaurants for early dinner and then we just wander through WOD, Christmas and some of the other shops. Last trip, there was a rock band performing on the lake stage, so my duaghters watched that while my son and I went to the Lego store and my wife shopped. We usually try to hit Ghihardelli's, but this past trip we were too full from dinner at Portobella!

I think it is a nice little diversion for a longer trip, but if time is limited, I would not do it.

One highlight from our previous trip was that we took the boat from PORS instead of the bus - it was very enjoyable.

Wolf
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
We went alot the last trip when we stayed at POFQ because of the boat, honestly I don't care anything at all for DTD, I dont like the mobs of people and all the girls dressed like hookers..We used to go at least once a trip for the D-street (Vinylmation store) but they never have any good vinyls, all the workers in there are snooty it seems. Last trip I'm glad we went because I found a super awesome Darth Vader shirt there but otherwise the whole experience there is meh at best. I get what others have said about buying all souvies at once which def makes sense esp if you mail stuff home but to us its a time waster if parks have early close times or something like that.

MargaretMessler
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I enjoy it, always make a couple of trips (not entire days, just an hour or two, or for lunch/dinner).

That being said, I wouldn't schedule time there at the expense of park time. But after so many trips, sometimes a park isn't an all day event for me and I like to break it up or do something different.

kbean
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I go because I like to get spit on by Stitch! Oh, and vinyl trade, And pretzel wrapped hot dogs. And a sandwich by Earl. And ice coffee from Ghirardelli. And a rum runner while sitting on the dock. And a jack and coke at the cigar bar. And of course to smell the Xmas store.

phillydan
01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
... I dont like the mobs of people and all the girls dressed like hookers..

:confused: I must have missed that part of the tour...

:D

Patricia
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Personally, I like DTD.
Love the shops that have unique clothes.. I can even buy the Desigual line with Minnie mouse! (that might mean something to someone) Design your own ears, Lego, Christmas Store.. etc. We even stop to listen to the School bands performing.

We also go there just to eat, but we are at that stage where the parks are not all we do. Wofgang Pucks, Earl of Sandwich (love the Holiday sandwich), Portobello, Raglan Road and even the new Splitsville all have very good food. There are more worth mentioning but I'd keep typing.. With the dining plan I can never get a sit down meal in the parks, on a whim, but I can here. I like to stay at PO for the boat transportation or stay in a DTD resort and walk over for breakfast each day.

Interestingly enough, we were just in DTD the evening of Dec 26th (no park ticket) to have a night cap before leaving Florida and it was insanely busy!! Couldn't move. Not staying at a Disney resort this particular night, we hopped a boat over to PO French Quarter and had a drink at their pool bar which was deserted. Great way to end the trip.. a boat ride and a Disney drink.

Kungaloosh! :thumbsup:

Wolf
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
:confused: I must have missed that part of the tour...

:D

I don't know what it is if I'm just old, antisocial or people just don't dress like they do there where I'm from but the girls had on clothes I would expect in a strip club (like super short and alot of animal print lol) then the mobs of locals were like "club aged" people, like dance club people? Dressed all modern like? I hate that I'm saying this at 25 lol but I duno huge crowds in the parks don't get to me because I know they have disney security everywhere and they had to get thru check points but down there I got really uncomfortable at night sometimes when the crowds were bad. I just don't ever really like DTD its nothing personal I like the idea but I just like the parks better for the shopping and the wanderings I guess.

snowflakegirl
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
We don't get to go very often, but when we do, I like to stop by DTD at least once during the trip. I liked it better when PI was still around...I used to love going to the comedy show...but I still enjoy it.

Going to DTD isn't something I would give up park time for, or something I would spend a whole day on, but I like to try to plan a day out of the parks to "rest" up a bit. Maybe hit a water park for a bit or hang out at the pool and then spend the afternoon at DTD. I love wandering through World of Disney, picking up some bath stuff at Basin, shopping at the kitchen store and checking out the Christmas shoppe. Plus my husband still loves Legos...I think he'd be disappointed if we didn't make a stop at the Lego store. :-)

ASweetLov
01-16-2013, 03:28 PM
I make time to go at least for a few hours every trip. I love to window shop there. I also try to have dinner at DTD. Fell in love with Bongos on my last trip so now its a must. Its also a must to get a frozen strawberry margarita and sit by the lake to relax :marg: :thumbsup:

Crow
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
:thumbsup:

How did that work out for Pleasure Island?;)

yea not so good

Crow
01-16-2013, 08:20 PM
i do go there at least once or twice, cruise thru the stores and eat at RR or someplace

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
World of Disney and Days of Christmas are two of my favorite stores in all of DW. Plus Wolfgang Puck Express is our favorite CS. Having said that I don't think you need more than a couple of hours there. We don't even bother with Pleasure Island, we stay in Marketplace. We always go there our arrival day because we usually don't get in until 3pm or so and after driving all day we don't feel like going to the parks.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Design a Tee store. We searched all over the parks for a Tigger t shirt for my DS's girlfriend last trip without any luck. We went into this store picked up an orange Tshirt (her favorite color) in her size, picked out a Tigger design and in a few minutes had the tshirt she requested.

bostonchic13
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
My family and I love DTD.We always go there the first day/night to have dinner(hopefully t-rex this time)and see/do a few things before we call it a night and head back to our room for a great start the next day

Tink#64
01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
We almost always arrive in WDW midday, so our tradition is to head straight to DTD for some shopping & dinner & then back to our resort for some pool time before unpacking & settling in for our first full day & first park day. (I tried to change this up a bit one year & my family wouldn't een hear of it!) We've eaten at many of the restaurants there & enjoyed them all! Every trip we get a personalized Christmas tree ornament from the Christmas shop & take a photo of the fam with the character statues in winter scene just behind the store - great for our Christmas cards! We also have a tradition to take our boys photo in front of the LochNess Lego monster - amazing how much they've grown & changed in the 11 years since our first WDW trip! World of Disney is tops in my book for WDW shopping! We also enjoy so much of the live street entertainment at DTD! Our last few trips - we've found ourselves in DTD on several evenings just having fun & soaking up the atmosphere & entertainment when we need a break from the parks! Can't imagine DTD not being park of our WDW vacation experience! We truly enjoy it!

DizNut42
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Back in the day we used to go to DTD every night after the parks for a few hours of fun at Disney Quest. We hadn't discovered the Adventurers Club yet. We had Ultimate Park Hopper passes back then that got us in everywhere (just like a PAP, but were length of stay).

Now we will go a couple of times during a trip. Gotta have a sandwich at Earl and and sundae at Ghirardelli's. Every now and then we will hit up DQ for some Buccaneer Gold.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
We love DTD and go at least a couple of times each trip. And no, none of us are fans of shopping.

Unlike a few others, I have found stuff in World of Disney that I have not found in the parks and in more variety of sizes.

LOVE:
World Of Disney
Ghirardhelli's
Art of Animation Gallery
Christmas Store
Raglan Road
Earls

And we also stay at FQ, which is a very beautiful and relaxing boat ride to DTD. :cloud9:

GottaLvDisney
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
We always like to go at least once and walk around, shop a little and grab something to eat. We usually save it for an evening when we don't have other plans since the parks close fairly early when we travel and we're not big on evening EMH with the little kids.

DisneyDawgette
03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Just came back from a quick trip to Orlando tonight, and I was very thankful we got to head over to DTD. Definitely a favorite of mine and DBF's. A great time to eat, shop, and relax. :mickey:

AvonleaCF
03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
I tend to go 3-4 times per trip. I just like to walk around, plus I usually use it to hop between resorts for ADRs. And I prefer to do all of my shopping all at once at DTD rather than in the parks.

I also like the Wolfgang Puck Express for a good CS meal.

I've stayed at POR twice and would take the boat nearly every every day. So pretty and relaxing.

ckaranassos
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Last year we tried something new on our annual Disney trip. We decided to add two days to our trip and see Seaworld. We stayed at a Hilton close by Seaworld, but drove to DTD for dinner and shopping one of those nights. Then the next day headed to Disney and the Beach Club for our official stay. It was great doing it this way. We did not give up our "Disney Time" and got to see something new. This was our first time seeing DTD and had a great meal and fun shopping. Plan on doing something similiar this trip in August.

mdricks
04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
If I'm with the family it's hard to get to WDW before noon and I flat refuse to buy a park ticket for 1/3 of a day. This gives the kids a chance to get some Diz for free, we get the souvenirs bought and out of the way. Also I have boys, Lego, nuff said.

On my adult only trips its an absolute must. Sosas for cigars and mojitos, Fulton's for stone crabs, rag road for music and car bombs! Always someone good playing at HoB (saw George Clinton last year for 13$!)

It's not splash mountain but it wouldn't be a trip to diz without it.

:number1:

dkmwong
04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
We usually arrive very early to WDW so we tend to make DTD our first stop. We enjoy going into the World of Disney, Art of Disney, and just browesing around. We then head to one of the parks for the rest of the day and have dinner.:D

LudwigVonDrake
05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Usually just a few hours to shop.

disneymom2000
06-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Wow I am surprised at the responses. I love DTD. I try to get there each trip and how long I stay depends on how long my vacation is. Three days at Disney I don't get to get there but last trip I was there 10 days so I set a whole day aside. We made dinner ressies but left lunch open. Pleasantly surprised when we stumbled into T-Rex around lunchtime. Didn't even know it was there. Great food. I love to do Christmas shopping here and usually have all my packages delivered to my resort except for ornaments. I usually go early Oct or mid-Dec and weather is great for strolling. And who can resist a late dessert from Ghirardhelli's.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Genie1953
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
We always go the day we arrive and then head back to our resort to rest up so we can head out bright and early the next morning to the parks. We also go our last day there if we have a late flight out.

mrte62
06-13-2013, 01:04 PM
The following list is the reasons it's worthwhile for me to go to Downtown Disney.

1. Raglan on Sunday nights for real live Irish music played by Johnny and Justin.

That's it.

I have and will drink to that. :beer:

Dsnygirl
06-22-2013, 04:23 AM
It's a not-to-be-missed spot for us... we love the ambiance, the variety of stores, and the food! Can't miss WoD, LOVE that store (although my budget doesn't... :blush:) Oh, and the strawberry margaritas on the boardwalk... and a ride up in the balloon, esp. at sunset, is a must!! Such a great, beautiful view! So yes, it's a must-do for us...

thejens
06-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Nah. I can go to a mall anytime. I don't really understand the appeal. There is plenty of shopping opportunity as you exit most rides. We've been a few times. Did Rainforest Cafe. Ghiradelli's. Shopped. KIds used to like Lego store and build a car thing. I always wanted to go to Adventurer's club but never made it. But who needs more shopping? Yawn.

DonaldDuckUSA
06-24-2013, 04:24 PM
I used to hate DTD for two reasons.

1. If I spend a lot of money on tickets, I want to get my ticket money's worth. I'd rather be in the parks.

2. It's all shops and some restaurants and I wasn't interested in spending EVEN MORE money. Not to mention I've never really been a fan of Disney merchandise :secret: and I thought the non-disney stuff was WAY overpriced.

Recently, however, we're on our second year of annual passes and we've done A LOT at the parks. We probably won't renew so we're trying to slow down and experience the things we never do.

Also, I have learned to really enjoy window shopping.

So these are things you might want to consider. If you only have three days for four theme parks (or something like that), my vote is no. Spend your time where you get the most bang for your buck.

If you're staying for like, a week, then I think it's probably a good way to spend a relaxing day just walkin' around. Seein' the sights, and such.

It's also a FAR less hectic way to spend an afternoon than in an hour and a half line for a ride. Not to mention all the shops have air conditioning, which allows you to escape the heat as you go.

texas211
07-07-2013, 04:19 PM
We go to DTD on our AK day. Try to hit Trex and the xmas store. Disney quest is a flop and I don't understand going to disney to go to the movies, so we skip the theatre.

Christine
07-10-2013, 12:22 AM
I think dtd is worth it. In the fall when the parks close early, it's a nice wrap to your day when you're not ready to go to bed yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that Disney Springs brings a new spin on dtd with even more to do.

MargaretMessler
07-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I would not sacrifice things at the parks to do DTD, but it is a nice way to spend a relaxing few hours. I like checking out the entertainment on the waterfront stage, grab a snack and soak up some atmosphere while checking out local high school or college music or performance acts.

Also a nice way to spend an evening on early park closing days. Doesn't have to be all about spending $$

wdwnutz
08-18-2013, 07:46 PM
I think dtd is worth it. In the fall when the parks close early, it's a nice wrap to your day when you're not ready to go to bed yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that Disney Springs brings a new spin on dtd with even more to do.

Ditto! :mickey:

Ellasdad
08-22-2013, 04:32 PM
We usually go at the end of our trip. The kids decide what t-shirts/souvenirs they want and we pick them up from WOD because it tends to be a bit cheaper and we don't have to waste park time standing in line to buy something.

twinboyz
09-26-2013, 10:57 AM
We always go to DTD at least two times on our trip. Once for a meal and some shopping. Also always make a stop at Ghiradelli's for coffee. Ragland Road for a drink. We do walk thru some of the stores because I usually have a list of specific items I am looking for.

DTD is not always about the shopping. It is nice to experience the atmosphere and take some silly pictures with the family.

When we stay at POR we tend to go there more often because we love the boat ride to DTD.. :cloud9:

So I think it's worth it for me and my family..

Dulcee
09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
We love Raglan Road, the music is just fantastic so we usually do dinner here at least once a trip.

I enjoy wandering the shops of downtown disney, its a nice way to mellow out for a bit. We usually end up here once or twice a trip.

Middle of the Map
10-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Haven't gone in years... Since everything is the same all over property, there's no real need in my opinion.

Have to agree with the everything's the same remark. It's a shame the Disney has changed the unique only-at-the-parks stuff. One shop is just like another.

That being said.....We always go on our last day of vacation to get some souvenir shopping in before we head for the airport.

WDWNut02
01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
I love Downtown.....but its definitely not the same since they closed the Adventurer's Club. A monumental error on Disney's part